GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, I'm about to post a bunch on GB.

I'm an opportunistic ammo buyer. A trip to Walmart or Academy and snag a box of this or a box of that. When Walmart announced they wouldn't sell anymore ammo it just sat in the shelves and they had to mark it down. I grabbed a bunch of MiniMags and Stingers

I have never shot Stingers before but they look cool. Too bad I had to sell all my my firearms.
You on the right message thread or am I missing something? I've done that but just saying I can't figure how your message is tied to this thread about knives.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Pardon the high-jack. I started out as how much folks are paying for weapons these days. The whole country has gone nuts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I bought mine because of the history and to pass down to my kids.

I would never actually cut anything with them..heh heh

What was it that made them worth so much?

Like I said - I don't know much about knives - maybe some are worth $600 - but WOW - what do they do that a $50 knife can't do?

·
Previously Jisbell40
695 Posts
Started off I bought a benchmade 510 for $75 years back to carry off duty and loved it. Then came a griptilian for $105. I paid $140 for a benchmade 940. That’s the absolute maximum I will ever pay for a knife. And I use them as tools. On duty I carry a benchmade contego. Absolutely love my benchmades

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
Started off I bought a benchmade 510 for $75 years back to carry off duty and loved it. Then came a griptilian for $105. I paid $140 for a benchmade 940. That’s the absolute maximum I will ever pay for a knife. And I use them as tools. On duty I carry a benchmade contego. Absolutely love my benchmades
Could account for some of the recent popularity of pocket titanium pry bars. I’m not yanking a stone out of my tire, opening a stuck mailbox door, or car glove box, using the tip of my Benchmade Infidel. I mean, I could. But...the right tool for the right job.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
If you’ve got the money and the need for a $600 knife I don’t know whether to be glad or worried for you. I used a Buck folder from the ship’s store every day for about 10 years until it was “borrowed “
For 20 years I’ve been partial to Schrade folders and picked up a few made in China for $3 a piece.
I’ve been kind of flush lately so I did just get myself a Buck sheath knife for $65

·
Daca is caca
3,541 Posts
My microtech halo 5 and 6 were $650 ea

·
aka dingle
1,265 Posts
A87D19DC-1E1F-407B-87E4-A7A1FD1F2EAA.jpeg
i paid a little more than that back in the day. i’ve used it a bit but even so it’s worth more now.

·
Previously Jisbell40
695 Posts
When seconds count the “right tool” is whatever gets it done. Saved an 8 year old girl from bleeding to death by cutting her pants leg off to make a tourniquet. Since then I have started carrying one at all times. I have a 4 foot wrecking bar in my trunk beside a rem 700 PSS with a nightforce. Sometimes you make do with what you can and hope people don’t die because you left something in the SUV.
Could account for some of the recent popularity of pocket titanium pry bars. I’m not yanking a stone out of my tire, opening a stuck mailbox door, or car glove box, using the tip of my Benchmade Infidel. I mean, I could. But...the right tool for the right job.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Back in the day I live in Burbank, California. We had this knife maker called Cooper Knives, he mad Fighing & Hunting Knives. I had several he made for me all under $100.00. I had one I kept, and never did much but revolve from sheath, and little 3 in 1 on the blade.

30 years later a collector paid in exces of $1,000.00 CASH to me, for what I paid about $60.00. Reason it had the Makers - Mark Cooper, and is Aprentice - Jodie Sampson, few Coopers apprently were Marked Cooper-Sampson, Jodie who help in shop making knives, worked full in movie studio prop department. Jodie made small knives, that were very collectable.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm a custom knife maker and although mine arent quite THAT expensive, I cant make them fast enough for the demand I've had. I've been backed up on orders for 2 years straight...almost get caught up, then Christmas orders start coming in!ha Its just like anything, some people would rather carry a custom pistol than a glock or drive a Mercedes instead of a Chevy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
17,657 Posts
I'd pay $600 for a sword but not for a knife.

The most I ever paid for a knife was $150 for a Bear and Son 14 3/8ths inch bone handle Bowie which I thought had the right proportions for a Bowie knife with a brushed stainless blade. I ordered the knife online and was disappointed when I noticed that the brushed finish was uneven.

Rather than send the knife back, I spent another 60 or 70 dollars to have the blade polished to a high gloss finish. It's my Bar-B-Que Knife to be worn in it's sheath at Bar-b-que's where I also wear my Smith and Wesson model 58 M&P 41 magnum.

The blade is 440 stainless and there are different types of 440 and what ever it is, it's a good steel, easy to get sharp and holds an edge.

Before and after pictures taken by the Mirror Finish Polishing Company

21 - 40 of 199 Posts