close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

60 Spitfires!!! This could be huge!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by G19Tony, Oct 18, 2012.

1. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member

I hope that they get enough useable stuff to assemble several airworthy planes. In wet ground, unprotected or minimally protected items are quickly ruined.

I was once digging a grave in an old cemetery, and (because measurements weren't accurate) dug into the side of a 58 year old bare casket burial. There wasn't much left. The wood was almost completely rotted away, and the metal handle fittings were badly rusted. Of the human remains visible, there were only some long bones and a shoe.

That was in the ground for only 58 years, and the crated planes have been in very wet ground for 70. I wish them good luck

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

2. Viper16

Viper16

Who knows...did you guys seem that old tank they recently pulled out of a mud pit? the think looked almost brand new...except wet...and muddy.

3. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

It's hard to believe they won't be able to put together several flyable models from 60 planes worth of parts.

Cool story. :supergrin:

4. deadmanglocking

deadmanglocking

From another article I read it said some of them were still crated from shipping so they might have been protected. Still going to be awesome. What's the armament on them? .50s?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

There was a thread on this months ago. I'm surprised things haven't moved forward at a faster pace, considering what I would guess to be the ammount of interest in getting those planes out of the ground.

Perhaps I'm over-estimating the over-all interest level? Or maybe the country of Myamar is making things difficult?

6. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Most early MkVBs carried 8 .303s, 4 each side. Later cannons were added so I expect they dropped a MG or two to compensate for weight... but these are early birds.

Great score. Can't wait to see thae end results. Be kinda cool to be there to help uncrate, etc, just to touch & be a part of history.

Thanks for the link G19Tony.