close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

$60 Light Bulb Debuts On Earth Day

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by pipedreams, Apr 18, 2012.

1. pipedreams

pipedreams Member

2. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

Total waste.

I use a lightbulb about once every 2 or 3 years.

At the ~$1 a bulb price I pay, I would need to hava that socket in use for 120 years

3. Wonder140

Wonder140

I still use incandescent bulbs. I think they are brighter and a more true color. Plus they're cheaper! I know I will be forced to fluorescent or led soon but I'm gonna go kicking and screaming! :p

4. trifecta

trifecta

20 years? My CFL were supposed to last a long time too. Guess what? Not so much. I'm not sure they last any longer than a regular bulb.

5. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

This will be a fail. Its probably a gov't owned/supported/backed company. They are the only ones with enough disposable income to sink into a money pit.

Fortunately I have a few thousand incandascents stockpiled from when they were about to outlawed. :supergrin:

I'll sell 4 for $60.

6. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane NRA Life Member

That sounds like their 75w equivalent LED.

The 60w equivalent are $15 at Home Depot. I bought a couple to test out. They look funky but put out a nice, bright white light source that is instant on and brighter than any 60w equivalent CFL's I've ever seen.

7. pipedreams

pipedreams Member

"Philips has been selling a cheaper, less efficient version of the L Prize bulb since 2010, and Crawford says it's done well - LEDs now account for about 20 percent of Philips' U.S. lighting sales, up from nearly zero three years ago."

8. devildog2067

devildog2067

Have you seriously never heard of Philips?

Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V. was founded in 1891. It's not even an American company.

9. devildog2067

devildog2067

CFLs suck, but I have high hopes for these. LED is a much more robust technology (physically speaking) than CFL.

Fluorescent lights don't do well with vibration, dimming, rapid on/off cycles... all things that LED should be able to handle.

10. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Well that's even worse.

Yeah, I've heard of them...Didn't know they were dutch, however.

11. michael e

michael e

I will stick to my cheap light bulbs. 60 is crazy for a damn bulb.

12. arclight610

arclight610

The local power company subsidizes CFLs around here. I get them at Wal-Mart 3 for $2.

13. DreamWeaver88

DreamWeaver88 ...............

Wow, it would only cost me a couple grand to replace all my bulbs with this.

I'll get right on that.

14. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

All we run on are LED's but then again I am off grid so every watt counts. I have a couple of very nice 4.5W 390lumen 12V 66LED flood lights that do wonders. And the 3W 5200K is nice and warm. I use LED because it makes sense for me. I can't afford to waste power... especially since I am PG&ME.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  15. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

You better secure those things if you get them. Thieves will make a killing. :lol

16. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

I skipped CFL's as they were a stepping stone technology not meant for long term deployment. And I am glad I did. The actual use data indicates that CFL's only benefit is energy reduction but they tend to last about as long as incandescents.

LED technology has been around for a while and I have been keeping a close eye on the industry. It's still expensive to convert but LED is actually living up to it's design promise. What a lot of people don't realize is that when an LED fails it's not the LED itself but the driver assembly. So turning an LED in is actually important as they can be refurbished by the manufacture.

As I have noted I am in a unique position in that I live off grid so for me DC powered LED is the way to go. I save in many ways and the costs are well worth it. If you live in an area where utility rates are high then LED is the way to go to help reduce your power footprint.

But really if people want to save energy then it's a multi-faceted task.

1. Turn off all ghost power
    2. Convert to more efficient lighting
    3. Update electronic devices for newer more efficient models.

Just those three things right there can save a lot of power over time. Sure for some people it doesn't matter as they have the fiscal means to pay for the excess consumption. But for the rest of us that live on meager salaries and so forth, it's one way to save a couple bucks over time.

http://www.ledstarlight.com/led-comparison-chart.php

Above is a link that you may dispute to your hearts content but it's pretty accurate. And considering that we are also using LED's on campus now for a wide array of applications they are pretty much ready for general consumption.

To me it's not so much about saving the planet or energy but saving money long term. That's a more realistic goal that has a positive impact I can see in my wallet as can others.

http://www.designrecycleinc.com/led comp chart.html

This is a better link as it goes a bit more in depth, and there are several factors to look at over time as well.

And they are not as expensive as most would go on about. It takes a bit of shopping but decent prices can be found. And the money saved over a few months in energy costs will recoup the expense of the light.

http://www.goldengadgets.com/led-lights/led-globe-light-bulbs.html

http://www.led-cfl-lighthouse.com/page/1476303

I have purchased my LED's from both of these companies. Again I am using DC voltage instead of AC. But still... it's worth saving a bit in the long run.

17. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Strange. Their 10 year 60w equiv(really more like 75w) is only $15. I get a few every trip to ahD as they turn right n and are more natural than CFLs and don't need to be recycled.

18. RetDet

RetDet Millennium Member

I have fifteen foot ceilings in the kitchen, and 12 foot ceilings elsewhere. I replaced all the kitchen lights with LED and will eventually have everything LED. No more ladders, no having to store bulbs, just nice even light that doesn't add to the heat of the house in the summer. I'm happy.

19. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

I bought incandescents from the Handicapped Workers in 1984. I built the house I'm in in '86. I used the bulbs from 84 and bought enough for the rest of the house. I may have changed 2 or 3 of those Handicapped bulbs since 1984. I think I'll pass on the $60 bulbs.

20. goldenlight

goldenlight

Sure, they will last 20 years: if you use them for 10 minutes a week.

Why not just say 30 years, or 40 years?

I'll BET they don't offer a free replacement for any 20 damn years, that's for sure.