6 year old killed in wood chipper accident

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by harlenm, Apr 10, 2012.

1. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

2. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

The word "horrific" to often gets thrown around without really being applicable, but in this case it is completely appropriate. I can't even imagine having that image in your head for the rest of your life.

3. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

Terribly sad.

4. method

method

I haven't had kids yet, but I've been around enough 6 year olds to know I'd never let one anywhere near a running wood chipper, let alone have one feed the damn thing.

5. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

6. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

It sounds like he was just standing around watching dad, and picked a branch up on his own.

7. PuroMexicano

PuroMexicano VIVA MEXICO !!!

8. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Don't know what happened, exactly. Don't know the safety mechanisms, if any. Don't know the safety talk, if any. Don't know who was told to do what.

But I do know kids will sometimes just want to help. My son is 6. Having him decide to suddenly make his own chocolate milk from Nesquick powder is an example. What's the risk, spilt milk? Too much chocolate powder?

I remember when he was about 2 or 3 and he just up and grabbed a stock water bucket and headed over to the faucet, trying to turn it on and then carry water back to feed the animals. All on his own. What's the risk there, a cold foot when he spills the water?

But if guns, or table saws, or chainsaws, or lawnmowers or, woodchippers, or swimming pools, or cars, or roads, that sort of stuff... Then you've got to have a tight watch, firm rules, and be ready to step in and grab the kid. You hope the kid undertstands what you taught him.

Very sad story. One I'll have to relate to my kid, as a teaching story. "Just heard on the news, a kid your age just went and did ... (insert bad ending)".

9. CAcop

CAcop

There was an adult who got pulled into a wood chipper around here not that long ago. It was his second time into one. The first trip just cost him an arm.

There is no way in hell I would ever let one of my kids near a wood chipper.

Very sad but very preventable.

10. All Pro Sports Hero

All Pro Sports Hero

^This^

Indescribably horrible, but the kid should have been nowhere near the chipper.

11. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

I think everyone that has ever spent any real time supervising small children knows that no matter how closely you watch them, sometimes they get into things they aren't supposed to. For all we know from the article, someone else might have been responsible for watching the little guy and he got away from them and wandered over to the chipper without the dad ever even knowing he was there.

Point being, it's best to reserve judgement until the facts are in, and in this case, it's not even really our business. If there was negligence then that's a matter for the Salem PD and DA.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  12. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

God I feel sorry for the Dad. I wouldn't wish that sort of tragedy on the devil himself.

13. PBCounty

PBCounty

How would you ever go back to that line of work after seeing something like that?

14. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

Read this in the Courant this morning, sad indeed.

15. Zonny

Zonny

I can't even imagine anything more horrific for a parent to witness.

Dear Lord, give this family strength.

16. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

terrible terrible tragedy.

17. RichJ

RichJ

Dear God! If that ever happened to my son due to my own negligence I would immediately execute myself. No question about it. Screw living with that memory. I'm sure the rest of the family would understand.

18. Green70

Green70

The father has two other children that need him; hopefully he isn't as selfish as you...

19. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

And that...........IMO, is what seperates the us now from the us of back then.

Personal responsibility is sometimes difficult, sometimes hand wringing, and sometimes quite hard to live with.....but live with it and deal with it is exactly what we did.It's what brought us to the place the whining and complaining started. Now a days it appears we're willing to take any road except the one that leads to personal responsibility.

It's amazing to me how many folks seem to have been waiting for the right time to become a wussy......and be happy for it. But I must admit, me thinks they've always been that way........just waiting for the chance to out themselves.

20. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Not even going to click that link...

I had a friend of a friend back over and kill his toddler years ago and it was too much for him to bear, he took his own life shortly after and his family will understandably never be the same.

I know they are just words but I will whisper a few for the family tonight.