Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMFG!

Under 7 minutes from a true road production car.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc9UUPNaOzE"]Nordschleife vs. Porsche 918 Spyder - 6:57 - YouTube[/ame]

I guess a lot of fast cars need to go home with their tails tucked between their legs.

Viper ACR: 7:12
LFA Nuerburgring Package: 7:14
Nissan GTR: 7:18
Corvette ZR1: 7:19

·
transmogrifier
12,508 Posts
In before the "my Mustang can do that" crowd..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfOBYDS7NfQ"]Porsche 918 Spyder: World Premiere in Frankfurt - YouTube[/ame]

·
transmogrifier
12,508 Posts
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlBUB9RqY_I"]2014 Porsche 918 Spyder - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube[/ame]

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to Stuttgart next weekend...

But I may have to go Saturday just to checkone out...

Since they came out yesterday..I am considering going to the n-ring Saturday...

Someone who bought has to have one there on Saturday....

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If only I had $850K for a car...

·
USS Texas BB-35
4,583 Posts
I watched Jay Leno reviewed that one, thats a serious hybrid

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
OMFG!

Nordschleife vs. Porsche 918 Spyder - 6:57 - YouTube

I guess a lot of fast cars need to go home with their tails tucked between their legs.

I'd still take the GTR and go buy 100 acres in the Smokies instead of that Porsche..... :rock::rock:

·
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
29,109 Posts

·
29,109 Posts
I'd still take the GTR and go buy 100 acres in the Smokies instead of that Porsche..... :rock::rock:
Agreed...

I saw a GTR (parked) for the first time a couple of weeks ago, in Hendersonville.

First impression - it is WIDE. I did not realize how wide that car was. Much bigger than I thought it was.

But for the money there is supposedly nothing faster.

·
Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
29,786 Posts
What a silly comment. Only an moron would compare a 40K vehicle to a 850K vehicle.

For $850,000+, the 918 had better be something special.

And I, too, would take a GTR and the change from the Porsche's $850k price tag. A chunk of change just under $750k would do a lot of other very nice things.

Let's face it, such vehicles are for Princes from the House of Saud, and other such multi-billionaire play-boy types.

·
29,109 Posts
What a silly comment. Only an moron would compare a 40K vehicle to a 850K vehicle.

And I, too, would take a GTR and the change from the Porsche's $850k price tag. A chunk of change just under $750k would do a lot of other very nice things.

Let's face it, such vehicles are for Princes from the House of Saud, and other such multi-billionaire play-boy types.
I have to imagine that there is a car somewhere that can do that faster, and much cheaper, even if it isn't road legal. The Atom maybe?

Imagine what you could do with a Nissan GTR (or a Corvette ZR1) and $750K in upgrades.

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
The more exciting news is that there is finally a decent looking Porsche.

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imagine what you could do with a Nissan GTR (or a Corvette ZR1) and $750K in upgrades.
Probably not much better, if any better at all.

The assumption is that $750K would pay for the R&D to make those cars do what the 918 does.

I suspect that Porsche spent more than $1M Euro in R&D on that car.

I also think that people underestimate how much it takes to knock 15 seconds off a lap that is slightly over 7 minutes.

·
Señor Member
1,864 Posts
:wavey: - my Mustang can do that
:cool: - my Mustang can do that
:supergrin: - my Mustang can do that
:whistling: - my Mustang can do that
:tongueout: - my Mustang can do that
:rofl: - my Mustang can do that

I found a small crowd for you...........

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

See that is the difference. If you are spending $850K on a car, you dont care if it is $100K or $1M.

The extra $750K might buy you a lot of very nice things, but dropping $850K on a car means you already have the money for a lot of very nice things. This isnt "gee honey, if I buy this car we cant afford to take the kids to McDonalds kind of money"

I have been around some of these types of people (mostly VCs). When you present something to them wanting money and they ask you how much you need, you tell them $5M, and their answer is its not even worth their time for an investment under $25M, you quickly understand they play in a different world.

SO, yes, this, and the Veyron, are for the ultra rich. But so what? It pushes the envelope and in 10-15 years a "reasonably priced" car may be benefit. You are failing to see what the rich finance. Google "early adopters" in product market development. I suspect that you probably dont have a 4K Ultra HD TV yet....but wait 5 years until they are $1000 and everyone will have one.

·
21,360 Posts
OMFG!

Nordschleife vs. Porsche 918 Spyder - 6:57 - YouTube

I'm impressed because a record was beaten, however for the difference in money between the Porsche and the rest (Viper/GTR/ZR1) I'm not impressed. Even if Joe Schmoe went and got the 918, he's not attaining those times on the ring.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
OMFG!

I won't take anything at all away from that car or any of the others, but I have to say it also takes a driver with a pretty big pair to hold it as open in some of the corners as these guys. I could get in that Porsche and give people a reason to mock it's slow times, for sure!

I agree, though, that these cars aren't intended to be for the general population. But I guarantee the high-end stability systems, control systems, etc, will find their way - downscaled, of course - into family sedans and will make them safer, more efficient, and better overall. These are the "show platforms" for the R&D folks, the runway models of the car industry. What you see isn't what folks will actually be wearing, but it guides those developments.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts