close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

#6 followers

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by robs67stang, Apr 13, 2012.

1. robs67stang

robs67stang

I'm looking to buy some G19 15 rd mags for my G23 gen 3 for shooting 9mm when my LWD .40-9 barrel arrives. Found some that said they had "#6 followers". Is that good or bad?

2. voyager4520

voyager4520

Those are the latest followers. I've never heard of any problems with them.

Early standard capacity 9mm magazines that came with followers up to 9mm3 should use one of those followers. Magazines that came with followers 9mm4 through 9mm6 should use one of those followers.

3. Patchman

Patchman Florist

FYI, Glock don't make # 7 followers. And they stopped selling #4 and #5 followers. So #6 is the only game in town. As noted above, they're fine. As a matter of fact, I think the #6 follower is one of the few parts I DON'T hear people complain about or swap out! :)

4. barth

barth six barrels

I've got a gen 3 G27 with a two Storm Lake 40-9mm barrels (G27/G23) and three new G26 9mm mags.
    All with with #6 followers.

Gun functions flawlessly with them.

Speer Duty GDHP 124 gr +P
    Winchester Ranger T-Series 127 gr +P+
    Federal HST 124 gr

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  5. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member Silver Member

All 3 of my 9's -- 17, 19 & 26 -- have #6 followers in all mags. The guns are less than 2 years old.

6. MountainGlock

MountainGlock

Have some brand new #6, a few 5, and even #3in my G-26 le 12 round mag, they all work.

7. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon

so older mags can't be "pimped" with #6 followers?

what will happen, why shouldn't they be used?

sometimes the very last ejected round (without another round putting pressure from beneath to the spend brass) has a different ejection angle than all the other rds before.
    can that be changed with a newer #6 follower, or will the "problem" still be the same?

is the ejection angle of the last case different due to the slide being catched instead of cycling normally, or due to the missing round pushing upword from beneath?

8. voyager4520

voyager4520

From the Glock parts list:
    The parts list is available on Glock's website, on the right you'll see "Parts Order Form". Only Glock Armorers can order parts which require more than field strip to change, I don't know if Glock will sell magazine parts to non-Armorers.
    http://us.glock.com/customer-service/downloadable-materials

9. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon

thanks for the list, that's what i needed.

what do you think:
    is the ejection angle of the last spent case different due to the slide being catched in rearward position instead of cycling normally, or due to the missing round pushing upword from beneath or both?

do you encounter the same "problem" with your glocks and mags?

10. voyager4520

voyager4520

I believe the top round in the magazine provides some support during ejection, so the last round ejects more weakly. Without a magazine in place, most semi-auto pistols will actually have a spent casing or two fall through the magazine well, and may even fail to eject.

hickok45 has a YouTube video which illustrates this titled "Pistol Reliability Without Magazine".

With my G23 and G27 I don't notice the spent casing of the last round ejecting any weaker than the all of the previous rounds fired. Though I did shoot my G27 once without a magazine in place and it failed to eject, the spent casing actually went back into the chamber and the slide closed partially with the extractor claw stopped on the back of the spent casing in the chamber.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  11. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon

good info, thanks for the video-link, very interesting topic