6.5PRC Blues

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by DonD, Sep 19, 2020.

1. DonD

DonD

I recently bought a new bolt gun in 6.5PRC. I'm not a hunter and there aren't any public
    ranges anywhere near to go longer than 200. I just wanted one and I don't have any bolts in my safe these days. Last one was a 7mm Rem Mag eons ago.

Alliant RL-26 appears to be the "go to" powder for heavier bullets and it is NOWHERE to be found unless you like being raped on gunbroker.com auctions. Walked through 7 pages of listings on Google and nada. Can't get any brass either. I'm on many "notify me when available" selections.

So, the gun is awaiting shipping, I have the scope, rings, and reloading items and one 20rd box of Hornady's top hunting round, the 143gr ELD-X at 2960fps, remains supersonic to 1500yds.

I've been reloading for over 40 yrs and those buying powder for a relatively new and probably low production number round, it's amazing that there are so many shortages. Sure it will ease up if what the nation desperately needs, Trump being reelected. Don

2. jbmillard

jbmillard

I am using Reloder 25 in my Ruger Precision Rifle with very good results. I think H1000 would be another good powder for this round. I'm shooting Hornady 147 gr ELD-Match bullets.

DonD likes this.

3. DonD

DonD

Hogdgdon's Retumbo and US869 are also good. With full powder charges the ELD-M is still supersonic until around 1700 yds.

What kind of groups are you getting and what optic are you using? Don

4. jbmillard

jbmillard

Optic is Nightforce ATACR 4-16 F1. Shot two groups of just under 1.5" at 300 yards this last weekend. As I remember, velocity is in mid 2900's.

Deltic and DonD like this.
  5. DonD

DonD

NICE! .5MOA @ 300. Don

6. jbmillard

jbmillard

I was a bit surprised myself. Since I don't usually believe claims without proof, here's a picture of the target. The target is printed on 8.5"x11" paper. The top group was first and then I adjusted my scope. The fifth shot on the first group was not above the target - no holes there, so I think it went through the hole in the paper. I looked up the muzzle velocity - it's 2933 for a five shot average, SD was 4.3. I'm using Federal G210M primers and 56.3 grains of Re-25 (use at your own risk).

My RPR is not quite stock, it does have a Timney trigger and a MagPul PRS stock, but the barrel is original.

6_5_prc_300_yard_group.jpg

DonD likes this.