Glock Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Private side
13,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was given a rifle length 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. The rear barrel band number is different but all the other numbers I see match. Where the bluing is gone is nice looking steel.
I don’t need it so I’m thinking about selling it but this old stuff isn’t my area of knowledge. Gunbroker prices always seem high so I don’t know if I can use them as reference. I’m not trying to make a mint and would like to make a collector or prospective owner a deal without giving it away.
Anyhow, I snapped a few pictures and I’m putting them here in hopes someone can give me some info on possible fair price on it.
Thanks in advance-
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Sports equipment Motor vehicle
Wood Gas Hardwood Metal Auto part
Wood Finger Motor vehicle Nail Automotive lighting
Brown Wood Natural material Wood stain Hardwood
Tire Red Material property Artifact Metal

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
So I was at a match this weekend and a guy had one of those and I listened to the banter. IIRC the owner said they go for $700-$800, if that helps at all as a general number.

What did Gun Croaker show?

There were 3 Mfrs. Husqvarna, Gustaf, and the last one I can't recall. I think the one I don't remember is the one that's harder to find.

Reactions: DirectDrive

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
(oops)

·
Private side
13,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw some at 600 some at 850 but condition, accessories, etc.. might be part of price. Thanks for the input.

·
I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.
2,777 Posts
I don't have one anymore, but Swedish Mausers were my jam about 20-25 years ago. The stock disk indicates that the last time the armory checked the rifle the bore diameter was 6.54mm and the barrel condition was "3", meaning that the Swedes considered the barrel interior to have a lot of corrosion, but at an acceptable level for service. That said, the Swedes were famously picky about barrel condition and a "3" barrel would look perfectly fine to most people and the rifle still shoots perfectly fine. A "3'" Swedish Mauser barrel would still rate pretty close to a surplus rifle barrel that would be described as very good or even near mint. I tell you this only in case you didn't already know and somebody tries to beat you down on the price just because of the "3" marking. Of course, those markings are just from the last inspection and don't necessarily reflect current condition.

The Swedes were nuts about numbering pretty much everything, even the cleaning rod. Back when the Swedish Mausers were entering the country in good numbers, it wasn't too hard to find all-matching rifles, but the mismatched barrel band doesn't hurt value much these days. Just curious, if you flip up the rear sight, does the rear sight match too?

I don't know why, but it seems like the cleaning rod number never matches the rifle. If yours matches, that's a rarity. Eventually they stopped numbering the cleaning rods (or maybe these were replacecment rods in inventory?), so there are a lot of unnumbered rods as well.

I seem to recall that nice M/96 rifles were around $400-$450 20-25 years ago. If condition is decent, $600 seems like a good starting point. Unless there's something particularly noteworthy about your rifle or you have some accessories to go with it (like a bayonet), a quick check of GunBroker seems to suggest that interest tends to stall around $650.

Man, I love the clean lines of the M/96 but I wonder if I could even use those sights now. (y)

·
Private side
13,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No numbers on cleaning rod but both pieces of the rear sight have the same 3 digit sequence as the other parts.

·
Senior Moment
8,865 Posts
There were a bunch imported to the U.S. back in the 90's. Two friends and I each bought one. The head space was excessive on all three. We shot them anyway, just didn't reload the brass. They came with bare threads at the end of the barrels but we found screw-on caps to cover the threads. I think we only payed about $150 for them. The Swedish surplus ammo we bought used some kind of nickle alloy bullet jacket. Very bad bore fouling and hard to get out. Still have my rifle and never shoot it.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
I don't have one anymore, but Swedish Mausers were my jam about 20-25 years ago. The stock disk indicates that the last time the armory checked the rifle the bore diameter was 6.54mm and the barrel condition was "3", meaning that the Swedes considered the barrel interior to have a lot of corrosion, but at an acceptable level for service. That said, the Swedes were famously picky about barrel condition and a "3" barrel would look perfectly fine to most people and the rifle still shoots perfectly fine. A "3'" Swedish Mauser barrel would still rate pretty close to a surplus rifle barrel that would be described as very good or even near mint. I tell you this only in case you didn't already know and somebody tries to beat you down on the price just because of the "3" marking. Of course, those markings are just from the last inspection and don't necessarily reflect current condition.

The Swedes were nuts about numbering pretty much everything, even the cleaning rod. Back when the Swedish Mausers were entering the country in good numbers, it wasn't too hard to find all-matching rifles, but the mismatched barrel band doesn't hurt value much these days. Just curious, if you flip up the rear sight, does the rear sight match too?

I don't know why, but it seems like the cleaning rod number never matches the rifle. If yours matches, that's a rarity. Eventually they stopped numbering the cleaning rods (or maybe these were replacecment rods in inventory?), so there are a lot of unnumbered rods as well.

I seem to recall that nice M/96 rifles were around $400-$450 20-25 years ago. If condition is decent, $600 seems like a good starting point. Unless there's something particularly noteworthy about your rifle or you have some accessories to go with it (like a bayonet), a quick check of GunBroker seems to suggest that interest tends to stall around $650.

Man, I love the clean lines of the M/96 but I wonder if I could even use those sights now. (y)
for
I just love listening to/learning from knowledgeable people

1 - 10 of 10 Posts