6/25/19 ATF measurement letter/Shockwave/TAC-14

Discussion in 'GATE NFA/Class III' started by gh1138, Jul 19, 2019.

1. gh1138

gh1138 Silver Member

Any thoughts on the 6/25/19 ATF letter with regard to a fixed brace on a Mossberg Shockwave or Remington TAC-14?

For any who haven’t seen it, here’s link to a website with the letter:

https://blog.princelaw.com/2019/07/...ength-when-equipped-with-a-stabilizing-brace/

I recently purchased a Mossberg Shockwave and then purchased an SB Tactical stabilizing brace kit for the Shockwave. It has an adapter that replaces the grip, a pistol grip, and a buffer tube with brace that screws into the receiver adapter. A few days later I came across the 6/25/19 letter, and now I can’t figure out if it’s legal or if the kit converts it to AOW.

I emailed the manufacturer, and they said the fixed brace is still legal but not to put a folding brace on the Shockwave/TAC-14. I understand they talk to ATF on a regular basis, but then they’re the manufacturer, so they have an interest in convincing buyers it’s legal.

Remington sells a TAC-14 version with a brace already installed. I’ve noticed they still have that version on the website, and online retailers are still selling them. I’d think they’d have to stop shipping them to non-Class III dealers immediately if they were AOW?

https://www.remington.com/other-products/model-870-tac-14-arm-brace

I’m just interested in thoughts of those more knowledgeable than me about Class III.

Thanks for any replies.

2. vitalibertas

vitalibertas

The real problem is the ATF made a rule change and nobody knows the actual specifics other than what’s in the letter. There are no test cases for clarification purposes.

“Based on this letter, it is safe to say that ATF is taking the position that firearms equipped with stabilizing braces need to have their overall length measured with the brace folded or to the end of the receiver extension if the brace is stationary and non-adjustable.”

So, if you have a folding brace, it no longer counts for OAL. If you have an adjustable or fixed brace, what counts for OAL is the end of the receiver extension, not how far out the actual brace goes.

Basically, if you have a fixed receiver extension, you’re good to go to include that in OAL. Everything else doesn’t count.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    gh1138 likes this.

3. gh1138

gh1138 Silver Member

Thank you, vitalibertas, for the response and the explanation. Thank you also to the member who PM'd me. Based on the responses, looks like I'm OK with the fixed brace.

I appreciate your help!

vitalibertas likes this.