close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

5x5 workout routines?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by mossy500camo, Nov 12, 2006.

1. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

With all this talk about 5x5 workout routines. Could someone give me an example?

2. DBradD

DBradD

I don't know anything about them, but I found this:

http://www.extremefitness.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-27288.html

I thought for a second that you were talking about some of the CrossFit WoD. Some of them will have 5 sets of 5 on squats, deadlifts, cleans, or whatever, and that's it for the day.

Edit: Reading it after I posted, I don't see why it's a big enough deal to warrant a special name. I think I'm going to do a 4x4 routine next week, LOL.

3. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

LOL! Thanks Brad. I saw a guy working his chest 'bench press'. He would do 5 sets and 5 reps going heavier every set, just as you have said. Then he started with some high rep but lighter bench presses.

Then I saw another guy doing just 5 sets of 5 reps and he was through for the day. I said "Man! is that it?" His reply was uh...Yeah....

And I'm thinking I am in here working out 2 hrs a day 3-4 days a week (strength and cardio) and this guy was done in like 30 mins.:shocked:

Was just wondering if I may have missed something in my nearly 25 yrs of weightlifting.;)

4. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

5x5 is my favorite rep/set scheme. There are variations of it. Here is a primer from the late great JV Askem........ http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/5X5.htm

Bill Starr has his own version too, but a lot can be accomplshed by following JV's.

Brooks Kubick's Dinosaur Training has some good stuff.

I'll try to post more about 5x5 later, it will take a while for slow fingers Jack to tyoe all I have to say about this.

Here is something along the lines of Bill Starr's approach

From the Power and Bulk Forum........

Fullbody is good!!!! This wil make you DEEZIL!!!!!!

Monday

Overhead Press
    5 sets of 5, work up to a five rep max

Power Clean

Squat

Close Grip Bench, Rows, Leg Extesions as you like.

Wednesday

Overhead Press
    5x5, all sets with 80% of mondays top weight

Power Clean
    5x5, all sets with 80%of monday's top weight

Squat
    5x5, all sets with 80% of moday's top weight

whatever BB type puming stuff you want.

Friday

Overhead Press
    5x5 all sets wih 90% of monday's top weight

Power Clean
    5x5, all sets with 90% of monday's top weight

Squat
    5x5, all sets with 90% of monday's top weight

Incline Dumbell Press, whatever else you want.

Warmup every day with situps and hyper extensions. That's just a basic template to work with.

Sorry I can't post more tight now, I'll try tomorrow or Tuesday.

5. DBradD

DBradD

If not for the fear of what it would look like 30 years from now, I'd get that tattooed across my back. I wonder if a hairback grows back after a tattoo is installed. Reminds me of those Pierre Amalot commercials about how to get your own hairback. :rofl:

Random thoughts after 13 hours of research on a Sunday. Signing off now.

6. DBradD

DBradD

That guy might've been a crossfitter. My workouts look about like that sometimes. One day last week, I went in, did the warmup (10 minutes) then 5 sets of 5 squats, then left--40 minutes. Those days are kinda like rest days for the other days.

Yesterday, the warmup plus 5 rounds for time of 135x10 cleans and 10 handstand pushups was 28 minutes total. The full-blown workout was 7 rounds, but I scaled it down. I usually scale them a lot farther than that, but I'm ok at cleans and really good at HSPU. After that last HSPU, though, I was absolutely blasted.

Really good crossfitters finish the full blown timed workouts in under 10 minutes, some less than 5. They still lift the same amount of weight the same number of times, so the energy output is the same. Power output, though, is through the roof, which is one of the basic ideas of the program.

7. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Cool! Thanks Dbrad, Cal Jack.:thumbsup:

8. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Damn! I'm working my back today /w the 5x5 routine. Upping the poundage /w each set. (Deadlifts) This is harder than one might think.:shocked:

Bentover rows and shrugs were somewhat easy doing the 5x5.

9. California Jack

The most common form of 5x5 was popularized by bodybuilder Reg Park back in the 50's. So Brad, perhaps it deserves its own special name just for longevity. Anyhow, Reg Park's version was 2 to 3 warmup sets with progressivly heavier weights than 2 to 3 worksets with the same weight. When all 5 reps in all work sets are done, add wiehgt next workout.

The JV Askem link added some to the basic rep/set scheme. JV called the Reg Park scheme-- medium. JV also had a light and heavy version. The light, he used 60 to 65 % of the 1rm for 5 sets of five. The idea was to move the weights as fast as possible-- a Compensatory acceleration training idea or perhaps akin to Westsides DE day. JV's heavy version was 5 progressivly heavier sets of 5 with the last an all out set.

Bill Starr's idea calls 'heavy' the same as JV. The difference is the his light is just 80% of the 5 rm from the heavy day for 5 sets of 5. The medium is the same idea only using 90% of the 5RM.

5x5 is usually only used for compound exercises. It can be used on one exercise only, but it is more popularly used in full body workouts. These full body routines are done 3 days per week and usually involve a squat a push and a pull only. They are usually based on a Heavy- Light- Medium system

There are many ways,to accomplish the heavy light medium. The first is the routine I copied above based on the Starr routine. Pick a squat a push and a pull and do them with the percentages I layed out earlier. The JV Akems link had a another type of H/L/M routine. I like that one and have had success using it.

There is at least one more H/L/M system. Instead of varying loads- vary exercises. An example would be for pushing; on heavy day do bench press, on light day do press, and on medium day do incline bench press. For this system, I recommend the basic Reg Park set/rep scheme, 2 or 3 pregressivly heavier warmup sets followed be 2 or 3 worksets. A full blown example would be:

Monday (heavy): Bench Press, clean grip high pulls, squat.
    Weds (light): Press, power snatch, overhead squat
    Friday (medium): Incline Bench Press, power cleans, front squat
    If so inclined do 1 to 2 sets for biceps, calfs and or neck.

These kind of routines aren't exactly in favor with today's bodybuilders. But if you get stuck in a rut Mossy, give it a chance. I love full body workouts.

You could also do either JV's heavy or medium on all your compound movements and higher BB rep ranges for you isolation work. I prefer the medium rep/set scheme as it gives guidance for load progression.

Have fun.

Jack

10. California Jack

Brad, get some sleep!

11. California Jack

If it is easy, use more weight.

OK, more seriously. You did great for the DL. 5 progressively heavier sets! The only other thing to try for DLs is 3 progressively heavier warmup sets followed by a workset and than a back off set at 90% of the workset.

For the bent rows, do the medium scheme. 2 warmup sets, 3 worksets. Add weight when all reps can be completed.

For shrugs, do a double progression starting at 8 reps. WHen 12 are accomplished add weight and start over again. Oh yeah, 2 sets for these. Remember, 5x5 works better for compound movements.

12. DBradD

DBradD

Hey, I did not receive a PM. Just letting you know in case you sent it and it was intercepted by somebody interested in your demise.

13. California Jack

Did not send it yet, I'll try tomorrow. Don't really like thinking about work while I'm sufing.;)

14. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Thanks for the info Cal Jack.:thumbsup: