Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15,782 Posts
I am not a veteran, but I was issued a Mossberg 590A1 as a police officer. We had the ghost ring sights.

I actually prefer the bead sight. Slugs at 50 yards are still on target with the bead sight.

I found the ghost ring sights unnecessary for buck shot at close distances.

If you want 100 yard slug capability then you would want the ghost ring sights. With both eyes open the ghost ring sights are still ok for up close work. I just prefer the less busy sight picture of the bead sight.

·
Banned
3,808 Posts
I love the factory ghost ring on my 590A1
I too carry a personal owned 590A1 as a LEO and prefer the ghost ring sights. I can put Federal Hydra Shok Sabot slugs consistently on a paper plate at 100 yards even out of the smooth bore.

@ Faulkner Which heat shield is that?

·
Banned
3,808 Posts
That is the factory heat shield.
I wasn't aware they made one. thanks for sharing.

I bought one for a 500, without the parts kit, I will figure out a way to get on the gun, yours looks awesome!

ETA: thanks for both sharing, and the follow-up post.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
I too carry a personal owned 590A1 as a LEO and prefer the ghost ring sights. I can put Federal Hydra Shok Sabot slugs consistently on a paper plate at 100 yards even out of the smooth bore.

Nice, is that an M1/M14 rifle sling you're using, or?

·
Patriot
1,743 Posts
I would like to have a gun just like yours! How do you like it?
I think it's a great shotgun, it's been 100% reliable with a broad range of ammo, plenty accurate and durable. It mainly stays in my patrol car but I also hunt with it.

I’ve deer hunted with mine , love the ghost rings. It’s a heck of a brush gun.
I've had the barrel on my threaded by a gunsmith so that I can use choke tubes. Not only have I taken several deer and a couple of feral hogs with mine using slugs, I have an extra full choke tube that I screw in and have taken a few tom turkeys with it, the ghost rings are real handy for that too.

·
Dismember
178 Posts
I have a Benelli M1 Super 90 Combat with factory ghost ring sights. I prefer them to a bead for everything but wing shooting, and I figure that's only because I have so much more experience figuring a lead off of a bead than the ghost ring. I find ghost rings are more precise at range and I have no issues with using them at spitting distances. Collim1 mentioned both eyes open above. I think that's the real key for using ghost rings (or a magnified optic) fast and up close.

Reactions: G23c

·
Registered
278 Posts
I bought a 930 tactical with GR sights thinking they were great because of what I'd read. I would actually prefer regular bead sight for home defense and clays. I have no other use for the gun. Hope I'm good at point shooting.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Has anyone ever used a 590A1 with ghost ring sights in the service? It seems every 590 I've ever seen being used during either training or deployment has just the standard bead sight.

I'm debating whether or not I should move to ghost rings. I have no trouble putting slugs on silhouttes at 25 yards using a bead, which is acceptable accuracy for my purposes. Not sure if undoing decades of practice using a bead would be outweighed by the benefits of ghost rings at shorter distances.

Curious how many service-folks have ever been issued a 590 with GR sights or have added them on.
This may have been mentioned
but a rail and a red dot would be the
way I'd go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts