56 yrs ago at 12:30pm, in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Tx.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ModGlock17, Nov 22, 2019.

1. amd65

amd65

Nov 22, 1963, I was 6yrs old.
    My family had just moved into our new home, didn’t have power yet, and had spent the day unpacking.
    My parents allowed my older sister and I to go for a walk down our new street...
    We were surprised to see all the neighbors outside having intense conversations... we asked what was up, and I recall an angry seeming man yelling “the Presidents been shot and killed”...
    I don’t know if my folks voted for JFK, but I know they liked him. My Dad was a WWII vet, and felt some kinship there, I think.
    I remember it like yesterday.

Dr. Bill and FullClip like this.
  2. norton

norton

A friend I went to school with was talking about this the other day. He said he couldn't understand why girls were crying, cause they really didn't know him. I felt the same way. It was sad but not sad enough to be whaling about.

FullClip likes this.

3. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Ever see the old Ed Sullivan Show clips when The Beatles were on?? Same idea...

Grabbrass and Jan R Whitaker like this.
  4. norton

norton

Full Clip
    I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan live on TV. Also could not figure out what all the fuss was about.

FullClip likes this.
  5. shadowgunner9

shadowgunner9 Free Actor

..........yeah, me too......

6. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I was in the tenth grade in high school sitting in class at about 10:00 pacific time when it was announced that the president had been shot. I actually didn't believe it and made some stupid comment to my girlfriend who was sitting in front of me about how maybe LBJ did it. And she yelled at me and said no! Don't you realize what's happened? the president has been shot! She wasn't mad at me and I think she realized that I was in a state of disbelief and she snapped me out of it.

And then I saw everyone's reaction around me and then it hit me that it had really happened. I think school closed early and I went home and my mom was sitting in front of the TV crying and my dad had come home from work early. It effected everyone in the country in a profound way and it changed us forever. It was the end of an era of innocence and optimism.

I will remember every detail of those first moments for the rest of my life. And the same thing with September Eleventh. I will never forget.

Caver 60, Dr. Bill and 63Bravo like this.
  7. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Yup...my older brothers and sister were all excited. I thought it would be like Topo Gigio. I mean "singing beatles"?? I wasn't too impressed at first, and although I rocked later on, I never have bought any of their music.

8. HardlyAble2

HardlyAble2

Navy boot camp, smoke break after class. They send us all home for a week until things got back to normal..

Caver 60 likes this.
  9. HardlyAble2

HardlyAble2

Navy boot camp, smoke break after class. They send us all home for a week until things got back to normal..

10. FAS1

FAS1

I was only a year old, but I grew up listening to Saxon. :D

11. Victor Dubya

Victor Dubya The Kindly Curmudgeon

I was 19 and going to school at the Dunwoody Institute in MPLS. I do remember when it was announced over the PA system. I remember I was alongside the chain link fence by the machine shop area. I don't know why I remembered it, just did.

Dr. Bill likes this.
  12. bgirls

bgirls

Was 8 months young, mom still has 3 copies of the local paper. we lived a couple miles from the kennedy compound.

Dr. Bill likes this.
  13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I visited there a few years ago: 2014 or 2015. It was a revelation. All my life I had listened to the conspiracy nuts who talked about the difficulty of Oswald making the shots he did from the school book depository. Then I got there and my first thought was, "how the ___ could you miss?" Seriously, your 8-year-old should be able to hit a guy cruising along slowly in a convertible from that distance. If I had any respect for the conspiracy nuts, I lost it then.

Caver 60, Dr. Bill and DocCasualty like this.
  14. nmglock

nmglock

I was at the Hardy School in Arlington Massachusetts. Teacher came in crying, told us what happened and we were released from class to go home. As kids we didn't understand and cried for days. A terrible time for our country.

Dr. Bill likes this.
  15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

The sad thing is, nowadays the professor would demand a classroom celebration and applause.

Was before my time, but I've read on it quite a bit as it is a subject that interests me.

Caver 60 and FullClip like this.
  16. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

I was one month old. All I cared about was where my next nipple was and who was going to change my poopy diaper.

FullClip likes this.
  17. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill

I was in 7th grade, and a history teacher (Tom Hodges) came in and whispered in our teacher's ear. She started crying. Then she told us what happened. We didn't have school the next day, so Jerry Thomas and I went up to the U-Totem convenience store, got candy & gum, then sat in the huge culverts under the highway and talked about it for a few hours.

About 40 years and 180 miles away later, I got a call from Tom Hodges about publishing some of his books. I printed and published about 10 of them, and during the process we both realized we were at the same school in 1963 - him teaching, me a student.

I vividly remember him coming into the classroom, black suit and tie on (teachers dressed back in those days) and breaking the bad news. He remembered it also.

My parents were New Deal Democrats, and my mom was catholic, so it hit them pretty hard.

Caver 60 and Ramjet38 like this.
  18. OGW

OGW SAF

I was in 10th grade, typing class, and the principal announced over the PA system that President Kennedy had been shot. Didn't learn that he died until a few hours later. Like him or not, it was a sad day for the United States.

Caver 60 and Dr. Bill like this.
  19. davethehiker

davethehiker

I was in a small apartment in Brooklyn NY doing my collage home work. I heard the landlady's daughter come into building weeping and informing her Mother that "President Kennedy has been killed."

FullClip, Caver 60 and Dr. Bill like this.
  20. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

9th grade Spanish class

Dr. Bill likes this.