56 yrs ago at 12:30pm, in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Tx.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ModGlock17, Nov 22, 2019.

1. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

[​IMG]

Are you old enough to remember what you were doing when you heard that news ?

Lots of societal changes since that time.

[​IMG]

2. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

I can vaguely recall the day of the shooting, but I can sure remember the funeral.
    My mother always recalled that she was upstairs with my baby sisters and ironing laundry, and that I came upstairs and told her then news that the president had been shot. Back then there was no kindergarten in town, so although I was 5, I was still at home.

3. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I remember vividly as I was out sick from school that day.

rattlegun, Dr. Bill and Ramjet38 like this.
  4. Fred Florist

Fred Florist

I clearly remember the faces of a few adults at that moment. It was barren white like blood drained out of their system. The system of security they believed in at that point seemed to have crumbled. Contained Panic.

I saw similar facial expressions on late morning of 9/11.

5. evlbruce

evlbruce

On this day, 56 years ago at 1 PM EST Jeffery Epstein didn't kill himself.

I joke. My dad just remembers going to a party that night and back to class the next day.

nrajeff likes this.
  6. Caver 60

Caver 60

I was listening to my car radio, during lunch break at college. I had a one O'clock class with a professor, who was also my college Sunday School teacher at Church. I went into the classroom and told the professor Kennedy had just been shot.

This professor really disliked President Kennedy, but he sort of fussed at me. He said: "Look I don't like the man, but that is not something to joke about." I replied: "I'm not joking."

He turned on a radio and we spent the entire class time listening to the news.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    ZX14R, IndyGunFreak, Dr. Bill and 2 others like this.
  7. AF-Odin

AF-Odin

Sitting in my 9th grade English class in Garland,TX (a suburb of Dallas) when they announced the shooting over the school PA system. My mom had discussed the possibility of taking me out of school to see the President.

Dr. Bill and Caver 60 like this.
  8. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

My father was probably barely old enough to remember it. But I was pretty fascinated by it in the 6th grade. The history teacher let me use it for a topic in a presentation we all had to do. I remember they let one of my friends do his presentation on weapons used in the Vietnam war. I remember him pinning cut out pictures of M16's, hand grenades, rocket launchers, ect to his foam board while giving the specs. Ha! Our teacher was cool with it all.

Dr. Bill, Joshhtn and Caver 60 like this.
  9. billorights

billorights

I was actually watching TV when Cronkite came on with the news. I was staying home from school after my father had passed away. I watched in disbelief the rest of the day. Also was watching when Ruby shot Oswald.

Dr. Bill, Caver 60 and FullClip like this.
  10. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

I was in the 7th.grade. Announcement came over the speakers and my teacher starting crying. Very strange feeling not knowing what was going to happen. most people blamed the Russians, felt there was a war coming. Also saw when Ruby killed Oswald. Felt alot of satisfaction when that happen.

army_eod, Dr. Bill and Ramjet38 like this.
  11. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

I was coming home from afternoon kindergarten and the older kids were talking about it. I didn’t believe them but when I got home my parents, brother and sister here watching the coverage on TV and confirmed the news.

Dr. Bill and FullClip like this.
  12. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

I was in elementary school when the teacher told us of the event. We were sent home early from school. I can remember being told not to go outside to play and remain quiet if going out for any reason. I was glued to the tv until after the funeral had ended. tom.

13. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

It was right around Thanksgiving time, so in the years after that when we were in Ft Worth for Thanksgiving with Grandma and Grandpa, we made it to point to visit Dealey Plaza to hoping to get a sense of what happened that day. I was just old enough to remember that day and how tense the air was.

Some years later, Grandpa took me to a cemetery through a back road. It was somewhere in southeast Ft Worth. I remembered going over railroad tracks. Then seeing a cemetery through a low chain link fence, drove in through a secondary gate. Only a couple of turns later, he stopped and took me to a flat gravestone. It was a black stone, laid flat on the ground, with only one word. OSWALD.

Just Googled Oswald grave. Most pictures show a reddish stone. But I clearly remember it was a black stone. Then I found a picture showing a black stone. It was changed at some point.

14. Caver 60

Caver 60

I was working in the backyard, when my father opened the door and said Oswald has just been shot. Went inside and watched all the reruns on our old B&W TV.

15. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

9th grade French class, announced over PA system. We were released to go home or to church. While walking home a car slowed down and a guy asked me why I wasn't in school. I said the President had been assassinated. He laughed and said good story and drove off. I always wondered what he thought when he saw the news. I had to walk through down town to get home , it was like any normal day no one seemed to be aware of what had happened.
    A few days later I was watching TV and saw Oswald get shot by Jack Ruby.

Dr. Bill and Caver 60 like this.
  16. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier NRA Benefactor

I was a very young man just out of Undergrad. I took a short term teaching job to pay bills.
    A knock at my classroom door. An assistant from the Principle's office informed me. The President was just killed in Dallas, Txs.

Dr. Bill likes this.
  17. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

I was in 5th grade class when the announcement came over the loudspeaker. Then the aftermath played out on TV over the next few days. A sad time indeed. I suppose this is now SOP when a president threatens to disband or buck the CIA.

18. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

My parents were married 8 days later. I didn't come along until Jun '67. I'm the reason they call it the Summer of Love.

jimcorbin and Dr. Bill like this.
  19. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

C85B0C23-EB0E-4777-A2DC-BB5FC8130DF5.jpeg 17184310-F22F-4D33-9563-129D7EB6E027.jpeg I remember my high school letting out early. When I got home I told my parents because they hadn’t heard the news.

Dr. Bill likes this.
  20. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf

I was stationed in Pearl Harbor HI. The whole island was/is a large military base. All the bases went on "war footing". Everyone thinking WWIII was coming.