close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

550b Shellplate Hangup?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by SBray, Sep 10, 2017.

1. SBray

SBray

Folks,

I need some ideas from the more knowledgeable Dillon reloading viewers.

I've setup 550s on many occasions and never had this happen before. My system for setting up the shellplate is to place an empty case in each station to help keep the shellplate balanced when tightening down the center bolt. After getting it placed at the correct height, I tighten down the set screw on the side of the main shaft. This time, after I got the shellplate in the correct height position, I found when I rotated it appropriately a half inch, it would hang up on something. If I pulled down on the handle to raise the assembly approximately a 1/4", the shellplate would turn smoothly all the way around. I took the primer assembly apart thinking it was the cause of the problem. Once it was reassembled the problem returned. I did this three or four times, and then it finally worked. I was hoping others had experienced this before and could give me suggestions as to how to avoid this problem in the future.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. RemoW

RemoW

You didn't the set screw tight enough on the shell plate center bolt. The center bolt was tightening down every time you make a click. Done it to myself a couple times.

:)

Dan...

byf43 and SBray like this.

3. jmorris

jmorris

^^^
    Either that or you were not getting the cup and primer stem seated properly and couldn't rotate the press until you were above them. Could have also had something stuck with the cup on the punch, the spring pushes the entire ram up with the cup, about the thickness of a primer.

This is how I swap that part out, the fired case with primer in it, it to push down on both while you snug up the set screw.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rCGV-JPYaE

SBray and Kwesi like this.
  4. SBray

SBray

Thanks Dan! On previous occasions, I too have not tightened the set screw down to prevent the shellplate assembly from completely seizing up. This is different in that I can turn the shellplate approximately a 1/2" and it seems to run up against something a stop, not a progressive tightening effect.

jmorris,
    I watched your video. Do you mean you change out the part each and every time you swap out calibers?

Thanks,
    Steve

5. usnret

usnret

I tighten the center bolt and then back it off 1/4 turn. Then I tighten the set screw up.

JBnTX, Ross-in-Pa and SBray like this.
  6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

That is how I do it as well, empty shellplate, snug big bolt, then back off 1/4 turn, then set screw tight.

The primer ram cup will snag on the shell plate occasionally if the slightest pressure is on the roller arm. Making sure the shell plate isn't being pressed down into the ram cup by leaning a little on the roller arm will allow me to turn the shell plate freely.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    SBray likes this.
  7. SBray

SBray

Thanks folks! I appreciate all of your suggestions. I will make notes and be better prepared the next time I change out a caliber set.

Steve

8. fredj338

fredj338

I hand tighten the shell plate, no cases, until it wont turn, Then back that off 1/4 turn & tighten the set screw. Recheck to make sure it turns freely. Same for the 650 too. That should give you min play.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    JBnTX likes this.
  9. jmorris

jmorris

Only if they use different size primers.

10. RemoW

RemoW

The other thing you can check is to take the ball and spring out that ride on the bottom of the shell plate and see if you have powder or debris in there. That can cause an issue too.

Dan...

11. mogollon

mogollon

Also, it could be that the ejector wire has lifted up when changing shellplates, and one of the arms on the index sprocket is impacting it. Just push the ejector wire down until it almost touches the top of the shellplate, using your thumb.

12. usnret

usnret

The arms on the indexing sprocket can and will bend causing issues.