55 Running Processes and CPU usage percentage?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Shoeless, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

I had a computer guy out here yesterday to help me clean up/optimize my laptop. We got rid of a bunch of old stuff on my external hard drive, set up a backup program, and defragged the hard drive. Changed a few settings here and there, but nothing major.

Today, my computer takes forever to boot, the audio sounds choppy and my machine is just generally running slower than ever.

Also, when I do a Control+Alt+Delete and get the task manager window up, I click on the PROCESSES tab and I always have a LOT of processes running.

At the moment it's 55. They all have a word beneath the USER column, that is either my name, Local Service, Network Service or System. What gives? That's a lot of processes for not having any applications open yet, isn't it??

OH and I forgot to add... when I look at the task manager window, the CPU usage, which used to always say 2% or 3% now it fluctuates wildly between 98%, 54%, 38% etc.!! Eek!

Thanks again for your help!!

Shoeless

2. DonL

DonL

If the "Computer Guy" had love on is mind more so than the task at hand, I would say....Do a fresh install of the OS....its junk. If this is not the case, look for the process thats taking up all the cpu usage. This should lead you to the problem...Also, look to see if any applications are running within task manager....Whats your memory "Commit Charge" look like?....As an example, I have 34 processes; cpu is 0-1%; commit charge is 259M/1691M....1691M is total memory available. From here, I would start changing thing back one by one until the problem is solved....My guess is the back-up software that was installed is whats wiggin' your computer out.

3. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

Ok, I think it was some crazy thing HP (I just bought a new all-in-one printer/scanner/fax/copier) had running in the background because now after doing some stuff inside the msconfig window (unchecked a bunch of non-essential services and took some stuff out of the start-up) it seems fine.

CPU usage is only between 1% and 8% at any given time I check and the commit charge is 445/245 now. I'll keep my eye on it for a while just to be sure.

Shoeless

4. kimigirl

kimigirl Guest

You might also try disabling un-necesssary services. Each service can be used for several processes. Many of them you don't need for a home computer. When I was at school we were given a challenge by our teacher to get our computers down to as few processes as possible, and still have a useful machine. It had to connect to AD still and internet had to work. I and several others got down to 15 processes, one of the other guys got it down to 9. Disabling extra services may speed up the boot quite a bit.

5. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

I love that idea (being an organizer and by nature, somewhat of a minimalist) but am skeeeered to disable something that is critical. Like for example, I disabled the print spooler and then I couldn't print. Whoopsy! I had to check that box again. With all the services and processes that are running, I'm just not well versed enough to know which ones to leave alone!

Shoeless

6. kimigirl

kimigirl Guest

XP won't let you turn something off that it really needs. There are things that are nice to have but alot of them are extras. If you look online, you can find out what the processes are for and disable them if you are not using them. It'll free up your processor and may also speed up your boot time not having so many auto starts.
    Its always wise to do a backup just in case before you start playing around...but you might try it. :)

7. prism

prism more ammo

didn't the computer guy do a final power-off and power-on to see if everything would boot up and run right?

8. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Great investigation work! You are a brave and wise woman Shoeless!

HP, and COMPAQ, are notorious for loading their form of spyware on your PC at the factory and calling it tools. Nasty stuff.

:thumbsup: :banana: :supergrin: :) ;) :wavey:

9. DonL

DonL

It's part of the OS, but it's not OK. If you are not on a network and if your ISP doesn't require it because of proprietary software, there are a lot of things in Services that you can disable that do not need to connect and in doing so, Generic Host Process will not need to connect. You may not have all of these in Services. It depends on the version of XP you have installed.

DHCP Client
    Distributed Link Tracking Client
    Distributed Transaction Coordinator
    DNS Client
    Help and Support (security hole)
    Internet Connection Firewall (If you're using ZA, you don't need the built in one. It only blocks incoming transmissions anyway.)
    IPSEC Services
    NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing (security hole)
    Network Connections (set to Manual)
    Network DDE
    Network DDE DSDM
    Network Location Awareness
    Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
    Remote Access Connection Manager (set to Manual)
    Remote Registry
    Routing and Remote Access
    SSDP Discovery Service
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper (security hole)
    Telnet (big security hole)
    Terminal Services
    Universal Plug and Play Device Host (huge security hole)
    Upload Manager
    Web Client
    Windows Time
    WMI Performance Adapter

All these either are connecting or have the ability to connect to the internet and none of them are usually needed. Disable them one at a time and check your internet access. After you have disabled all you can (depends on what your ISP requires for connection) remove the Generic Host entry from ZA and connect to the internet. It should not demand access again. If it does ZA will report it. But if you do have to let it connect, do not give it server rights.

Also go into your User accounts and delete the 2 accounts that MS sets up by default and does not tell you about. Leave your account(s).