close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8?

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by JellyBelly, Dec 11, 2006.

1. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Meat Popsicle

Which should it be. I may have a buyer for my M&P40, which would leave me with enough money to buy the $300 (or more depending on the source) lens. Of course I want the 50mm f/1.2 but it's over $1500 and I just can't come up with that kind of money.:sad:

Is the 1.4 a LOT better than the 1.8? I may decide to shoot pictures in bars and other poorly lit areas. Will it really make that much of a difference? Enough to justify the extra expense?

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

1.4 is USM. You can read hundreds of users' opinions on this page. They all have excellent reputation.

3. General Sherman

General Sherman

For your Canon or Nikon?

I have the 50mm F1.4 Nikkor and it is sharper than the F1.2, but not as fast of course.

UPDATE:
    I see you bought a Canon Rebel so it is for Canon.
    I do not know about those lenses but I can speak for the lower quality of the F1.2 in Nikkors.

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I absolutely love my 1.8 but I would not turn down a 1.4 as both are great lenses. The 1.4 will give better bokah (sp?)for portraits. The 1.8 and some tubes will get you into macro too.

If I were you, I would go for the 1.8, especially if I had no experience with primes. You may not like a prime if you have never used one. I would rather have an $80 lens that didn't do as I expected than a $300 one that I hated. At worst, you can sell the 1.8 for ~$60 if you don't like it.

I prefer primes and I have built a decent collection for my AE-1 over the last few months by watching eBay :)