close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

500 S&W point of impact change

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Mattog22, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Mattog22

Mattog22

Loaded up some 350 gr XTP with H110 and it shot great, Right at the point of aim. Shot all of them and haven't found any more though. Found some 500 gr XTP and loaded them up with a medium charge of H110. Point of impact was about 5 inches high and about 2.5 inches left from 17 yards. Is this big of a poi change normal or is something wrong? I checked the sights and everything seemed normal. This is from a 4 inch barrel.

2. raven11

raven11

that's not normal, are you being consistent in your shooting

3. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Bullets may be slightly small and not fully engaging the rifling in the barrel.

4. Mattog22

Mattog22

I am resting it on a bench, I am being consistant. These are Hornady XTP, I would think they are the right diameter.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  5. DonD

DonD

That's completely normal, I've been shooting .500s for 7 yrs and have repeatedly seen the same thing. It isn't your shooting.

The issue is that a slower slug is in the barrel longer, thus the slug sees the effect of a rising barrel due to recoil for longer periods of time.

So, a heavier slug at an appropriately lower velocity will print higher than a lighter, higher velocity slug. Also, if you drive any slug faster, it will print lower than the slower velocity load because it is in the barrel for a shorter timeframe.

Just the nature of the beast with the beastly .500 Mag. This happens with other big bores but I do think it is accentuated with the biggest of them all. Don

6. Mattog22

Mattog22

Thanks, makes me feel better, I was checking and double checking what I could have done wrong. It makes sense

7. DonD

DonD

I shoot three power level rounds, a plinking load with Trail Boss, a medium load with Titegroup or faster with H4227 and heavy loads with LilGun or H110 and they all have different points of impact. A PITA but it doesn't diminish my appreciation for the big beasts.

I generally shoot slugs in the 385-440gr range, you'll see even more massive shifts if you decide to try the real heavyweights like the 500-700 gr monsters. Enjoy your .500.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  8. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

That's totally normal. The slower a bullet is, the longer it's in the barrel, and the higher the point of impact will be, since recoil/muzzle rise starts immediately as the bullet starts to move. Heavier bullets move slower. In other words, what DonD said, since I wrote this before reading the other posts.:supergrin:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  9. Caver 60

Caver 60

Post 5 and 8 are right on the money. What you're getting is completely normal, except perhaps the lateral deviation. At longer ranges the difference in impact will be greater.

10. Mattog22

Mattog22

When I get hold of some 350 or close weight bullets. I will see if those shoot a little left as well. I just noticed the height most. So the bullet wouldn't shift lateral at all? It seems if it could shift up then why wouldn't it shift lateral as well?

11. DonD

DonD

Lateral dispersion won't be affected, that's most likely a trigger squeeze issue. Lateral dispersion will get larger with greater range but that's just geometry coming into play meaning that roughly speaking if a shot is an inch wide at 25 yds, that same slug will most likely be 2" wide at 50 and so on.

Big revolvers are great source of amusement and learning experiences. Don :supergrin:

12. Mattog22

Mattog22

Learning experience is right! I have shot a lot of pistols for many years and this 500 just amazes me.

13. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

That is not unheard of when shooting big bore revolvers. That heavy bullet is spending a lot more time in the barrel.