Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone: I am a cashier at a grocery store so I have a lot of weird conversations with people. I got into a conversation with a regular customer about glocks and he was saying that they aren't good because the barrel is set in polymer or something and will mash the polymer after about 500 rounds. I am not sure what he is talking about and already have about 300 rounds through it with no signs of stopping. Anything I should look out for since this is my carry gun? I clean it every time I go out shooting.

·
M62/76
12,359 Posts
If any inkling of that was true, Glock wouldn't have made it out of the R&D stage. I have two Glocks with well over 10k rounds thru each of them with zero sign of "polymer mashing." There are members here with Glocks in the 100k+ rounds range.

Shoot the hell out of it and don't look back.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I think he might be referring to "frame battering" from when the slide cycles rearward during firing. This can happen with any pistol. Do a google search and, in addition to Glocks, you'll see plenty of aluminum alloy framed pistols like Berettas and Sigs with battered frames as well. The reason? Lack of proper maintenance. Replace your recoil springs at the required intervals and it's a non-issue.

Don't let him dissuade you from thinking you've bought, or are looking to buy a sub-par pistol. ~65% of LE use Glocks, and the SEALS just adopted the Glock 19 to replace the Sig P226/MK25. If this was a real problem Glock would've gone the way of the DoDo a long time ago.

·
Banned
4,850 Posts
Part of the beauty of the polymer frame is its elasticity. It will deform farther than steel or aluminum and still return to normal. I've seen shock-buffs for Glocks but what's the point? The whole frame IS a shock buff.

Out of curiosity, where do you live that you talk about guns with your grocery store customers? Here, saying the word "gun" in public would invite a lot of righteously indignant stare i not outright horror.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hello everyone: I am a cashier at a grocery store so I have a lot of weird conversations with people. I got into a conversation with a regular customer about glocks and he was saying that they aren't good because the barrel is set in polymer or something and will mash the polymer after about 500 rounds. I am not sure what he is talking about and already have about 300 rounds through it with no signs of stopping. Anything I should look out for since this is my carry gun? I clean it every time I go out shooting.
As already mentioned by others, not to worry, and continue to fire your Glock as always with confidence.

However, it's not a bad idea to replace the factory recoil springs with an aftermarket Wolff spring of increased pressure if you are going to be firing full house rounds much of the time. I'm not saying you should do this as much as I am just saying that it is an option you can choose.....especially if it will give you peace of mind, as it does for me. The factory can't know which cartridges you will be shooting and so they have to use an intermediate tension spring that will work reliably with a spectrum of moderate to high power rounds alike. It's also not terribly unusual for the factory recoil rod assemblies to pop apart. (a shooting buddy had the rod pop out of his Gen3 Glock27) I have replaced the self contained recoil assemblies in both my G33 and Kahr MK9 EDC guns with a standard "none-captive" rod & higher tension Wolfe spring. Because I know that I am firing fairly stout rounds for self defense, it's preferable to absorb as much recoil as possible.....not to mention also that my Kahr MK9 frame is known to crack....so it's better to absorb excess shock. If you do order a higher tension spring, thouroughly fire your gun with the cartridges you intend to carry and make sure your gun works reliably with that spring. Did it in both my guns, and reliability is the same and all remains well.

Here is the link to the Wolfe company that provides rod & spring replacements; https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php

Hope this helps. Happy shooting either way. :cheers:

EDITED TO ADD on 8-16-17; There's always that one guy in the crowd who has to nay-say me or anybody else who has chosen to upgrade our guns. It's amounts to calling me a fool or a liar, and I finally put one know-it-all in red on my ignore list. Folks, it is a known fact that some captive recoil assemblies can be problematic;

https://us.glock.com/customer-service/recoil-spring-exchange

Prior to this, the gen3 27's were known to have RSA failures as well. (as I said, my buddy's popped apart) I'm sure there are other problems reported with various Glocks & recoil assemblies that I haven't checked into. (ie; I haven't researched them because I don't own them.) But, we all agree that it is an established fact that any recoil spring can get weak. I was merely suggesting that you may choose to replace the captive recoil assembly with a Wolff one piece rod & seperate spring, and take that time to carefully choose the spring tension suitable for a steady diet of high pressure loads too while you're at it....if that's what you fire much of the time. Make sense? The bottom line that I highlighted in blue above, is for you to range test your new springs thouroughly; If it works, then it WORKS. No need for some here to call out folks as being fools or liars.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Ignore all suggestions that you need an aftermarket recoil spring assembly. Glock OEM RSAs (and other parts as well) are designed for the job they perform. If they were not, Glock pistols would not be in service with world-wide military and law enforcement agencies, none of which use nor allow their members to use contrived "enhancements" recommended by internet and range and office and supermarket commandos.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
. . . . he was saying that [Glocks] aren't good because the barrel is set in polymer or something and will mash the polymer after about 500 rounds. . . .
As others have stated, that's a big ol' nope. If you discover any polymer mashing after 500 rounds, a call to Glock would be in order, because that's a defective gun.

·
Premium Member
22,809 Posts
The barrel is the one part that doesn't touch any polymer, as far as I can tell. It's mostly in contact with the steel slide and the steel locking block.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Don't talk to strangers, especially about guns. LOL

You'll be fine whether you clean it every range trip, or once every year. Mostly, enjoy your new pistol!

As mentioned, there's a guy in here with two hundred thousand rounds through his Glock. You should be fine at three hundred rounds.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I guess I better go and get some new ones because mine are past that round count. On second thought, nope. They still are working just fine. Just maintain yours by changing the springs as you get up on your round count and cleaning it.

·
I'm not retired
7,243 Posts
Anything I should look out for since this is my carry gun?
Yes...ask to go on break next time you see him in your line.

The 'frame battering' (mashing) he is referring to happens when the 'slide' hits the 'polymer frame', inside the dust cover, when the slide cycles. The 'mashing' generally occurs with more powerful calibers that are loaded to be more powerful than 'normal', then you still have to shoot a bunch of them to get 'mashing'. Unless your brass gets spit to the next zip code, you are not likely to get mashing.

·
Registered
13,675 Posts
The person whontold you that the pistol is only good for 500 rounds is an idiot.

A lot of us will do close to 500 rounds in a day.....I am putting between 2, 000 and 2,500 rounds down range a month, and have been doing so for years.

You have nothing to worry about.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts