500 mi. break-in maintenance (SV650)

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by Jtemple, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

I called the dealer and asked about getting my 500 mile break-in check done. They told me it was a 5 day wait to get my bike in, they'd have to keep it for 2 days, and it would cost me around $200.

Considering that I'm mechanically inclined, have done a lot of basic maintenance on cars myself, and that the owner's manual tells you exactly what to do, how to do it, and when to do it...

I did my 500 mile check myself, for about $30 in parts.

I'm so proud of me! ;f

2. FoxMustang

FoxMustang We Deal in Lead

That's the way to do it, and you know the job was done right ^c

Just out of curiosity, what all was involved in this checkup?

3. BikerRN

BikerRN

Congrats and good move. If you ever have a warranty issue and they try to tell you that you didn't have the service done you can tell them to go pound sand. You have the legal right to do your own service, just save all you receipts and keep detailed records.

I write date I did the service, mileage of bike, and keep the dated receipts for oil and supplies. I've done a lot of my own service for years and it's never been an issue.

4. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

Actually, the dealer told me I could do the work myself without voiding the warranty, if I just kept a log of what work was done. What I did was print out a copy of the maintenance chart from the owner's manual, circle the checks I did and write down the VIN, ODO reading, and date. I didn't keep the receipt for the supplies; I'll do that from now on.

Here's the work I did:

Change oil & filter
    Check engine idle speed
    Check throttle cable play
    Lube drive chain
    Check brakes
    Check steering
    Check exhaust bolts & tighten as necessary
    Check frame bolts & tighten as necessary

The steps to do the maintenance is all written out for you in the owner's manual. It was very easy to do and most of it was do-able using the bike's incuded tool kit.

5. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

Good deal on doing 500 mile ;with your savings of $170 you can ride for free for a while. Thats about 61 gal. of gas you did not give away. Enjoy Good luck and ride safe.

6. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

By the way all 4 colors (black,silver,blue, and yellow) hugger rear fenders are there today . search exactly sv 650 good luck and ride safe.

7. mmsig229

mmsig229

Good job!!!!!I do my oil changes myself unless the bike is in the shop for something else. After break in, I change the oil/filter every 1,000 miles. There are probably some here who think thats excessive, but they probably don't clean their Glocks either....