close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

50 Yard Accuracy of Glock 19

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GringoEd, Jul 27, 2012.

Tags:
  1. GringoEd

GringoEd

My shooting background is Bullseye Pistol Competition. What is a reasonable expectation of my new Gen4 Glock 19 at 50 yards? Is minute-of-pie plate ( 8 inch circle) doable with stock pistol? How much , if any, would a KKM Barrel or other quality aftermarket barrel help accuracy at that distance. The 3-dot sights are a distraction , but sight black fixed that pretty quickly. Thanks for any suggestions or help with this!

2. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd

The potential accuracy of the G19 should be the same as that of my G34, although the G34's longer sight radius and lighter trigger pull help with the human dimensions of this effort. I'd expect that with your background/training, you should easily be able to produce 4-6" groups.

I haven't heard of anyone applying sight-black to the Glock sights, but that should help if you're shooting in good light at targets with light colors and background. If one was really old-school, they'd be blacked out with the sooty flame of an acetylene lamp. That produces a very flat-black finish...

3. Tarowah

Tarowah

You can hit paper plates out to 100 yards pretty easy with a stock Glock of any kind, I shoot an 8x8 square of AR500 at 100 yards all the time, and the only thing done to my G19 is Ameriglo I-Dot sights.

Once I figured out where to hold I can hit the plate pretty regular, I have never tried to get groups though, I figure just being about to ring the steel at that distance is more than enough.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  4. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I believe you will find that Hickock45 has shot a steel gong at with his G19 at 100 yards so......

As you know the largest factor in accuracy is the shooter. The Glock trigger system is NOT a single action target trigger.

I think the second factor for the G19 will be the ammo. Premium HPs are much better than standard FMJ ammo in my G19. I assume that I could do better if I took my time working up hand loads, but..... I just haven't have the time, money and inclination.

The barrel.....It is a lose fit, but I am not sure how much accuracy you will gain by replacing it.

Let us know how you did. :)

5. GringoEd

GringoEd

Thanks for the help. It sounds like Glocks are up to the task without throwing more money at them. After a lifetime of 1911 shooting, I am shocked how much I enjoy shooting my G19, and how well it performs.

6. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

I believe that gong is 80 yards and it is huge (about 2-3 feet in diameter). Not saying hitting a paper plate at 100 yards isn't possible, but just wanted to clear that up.

7. Toby196

Toby196 Fetching a rug.

I believe you're right, about the size of the gong and the distance from his normal shooting spot (where he films most of his videos). But he does have several videos from a much further distance, using a compact (and even sub-compact) Glock.

ETA: Here are the videos I was thinking of:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFd3kF6LHz4"]Glock 23 at 230 yards.[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmMEg4y54Dk"]Glock 27 at 230 yards.[/ame]

8. CaneyCat

CaneyCat

The other day me, my Dad and my brother were just bs'ing around and tried our glocks at 50 yards. I had my G35, Dad with his G19 and bro had his G30 and we all hit a big phone book 3-5 times at 50 yards, with all the other rounds within the size of a mans chest. We were not really trying for group size though, as we were shooting semi fast.

9. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

Oh, I know, which is why I said, "Not saying hitting a paper plate at 100 yards isn't possible." I love Hickok45 and watch his videos constantly. He's a damn good shot and can hit distant targets pretty consistently. But to hit a 8" paper plate at 100 yards with consistency (most of the time) would require an expert shooter I should think.

10. Toby196

Toby196 Fetching a rug.

Sorry I misunderstood your post (I thought maybe you hadn't seen the videos I posted).

You're absolutely right though. Even when Hickok45 shoots from the shorter distance, when you see the actual impacts on the gong you can tell that if it were an 8" plate, there would be a whole lot of missing going on. Of course considering he's shooting short-barreled pistols, in an off-hand position, I suppose I can't fault him for his "inaccuracy" (I know that there would be a heck of a lot more misses occurring if it were me shooting :embarassed: ).

11. jeremy1

jeremy1

With my old G22 I could hit a 12" by 12" gong at 100 yards 6/10 times. I do love my G19 but have not hit that level of accuracy yet. I am confident that after finding a good hand load it will perform as well.

It is certainly possible to get the level of accuracy that you are looking for from a stock Glock. Keep in mind that Glock mods are cheap compared to a 1911. a cheap 3# connector and some polishing makes a huge difference.

12. MajorD

MajorD

I shoot several police ppc matches every year with my glock (rules state need to use a duty style gun) including 24 rounds shot from the 50 yard line. I also come from a bullseye background. the glock is pretty good out to 25 yards but the groups really open up at 50. I shoot about a 270 average in bullseye and have a distinguished badge, so I know the gun is simply not a long range gun. a 8 inch group at 50 is doable but takes everything you have. The biggest limitation is the blocky sights. I replaced the stock plastic sights with 10-8 performance plain black sights and it helps quite a bit. Hitting say a 10 inch plate out to 100 yards 75+ % of the time is realistic. but this is not the same as holding a solid group for 10 shots at 50 yards.

13. PAGunner

PAGunner

Glock 19 is a tack driver at 50 yards and beyond, in the right hands. The real question is, how accurate are you at 50 yards with the 19? The answe for most is they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at that distance but, ymmv.

14. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

At 25 yards, I have benchrested 2" groups from my Glock 17, so I'd say 4" at 50 yards is certainly possible.

Some guns might be more or less accurate, but that is my best guess of what your gun is capable of :)

Of hand, I'm more likely to shoot 8" groups at 50 yards, but that's me :)

15. DocWills

DocWills

Been my experience that if you can hit a 8inch circle you can hit anything. I usually get 2-3 inches at 25 yards and double that at 50. at 100 can hit about half the mag.

The g30 will half that.

16. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEHVdfhvMnc&feature=g-upl"]Generation 3 Glock 19 (FDE) 9mm--Great Gun For Beginners, Great Gun For Professionals - YouTube[/ame]

^^This is the only evidence I have but the distance at the 1:50 mark is 38 meters (measured it with a GPS after) at a 10'' plate with brown bear ammo. There is no doubt in my mind that the gun is much more accurate than that but I'm not sure I am :crying:

17. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

The pistol is only as good as You are at mastering your 'Arc Of Wobble'...

The pistol should ransom rest and hit pretty well at 100yrds... At least a fellow with the handle of DesertScout did pretty well at hitting 100yrd targets.

It's all practice...

So, I'll be waiting for your YouTube Video!

:supergrin:

Patrick

18. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

Not a scientific study by any means, but we're sending a few guys to FA instructor school soon. The first two phases are the "marksmanship phase", and students are required to shoot a 540/600 on the PPC match 6 (I think - shot the course plenty of times, can't remember the number but I think that's right).

I happened to be out there with a box stock G19 - plastic sights, 5.5lb trigger. Nothing changed on it at all. I decided to see what I could hit at the 50 with it. I shot 6 rounds from the standing strong hand barricade, and shot 6/6 in the 10 ring strung vertically just to the left of the X ring on a B27 target. I was surprised how well it shot.

I think they're plenty accurate if your pistol likes the ammo and you do your part.

19. BulldawgGlock

BulldawgGlock

I qualified at the academy with my G19. I can only tell you that tight groups are possible at 25 yards, but even at 25 yards your "squeeze" on the trigger better be smooth as silk. I remember qualification like so: front sight...front sight...front sight...sqeeze.....front sight.....bam.

20. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I should state that I can cheat (bench, scope, stock) with a G21 and can consistently put rounds on a paper plate at 100 yards. But remember, I am cheating to take ME out of the equation and it is with a G21.