Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I have been following a lot of the 460/45 SUPER treads for a while and was wondering if anyone had any experience with guncrafters 50 gi conversion kit? And if some one had thought about making 50 Gi (acp level pressure) and pushing it to 45 SUPER levels?

I would think it would depend on how well supported the oem chambers are. Since there probably aren't a lot of options if any for gi barrels for a glock other than from guncrafters.

And then how strong is the brass? I read somewhere it was made by Starline.

I started thinking about this as since Lonewolf came out with there new slim grip Glock 21/20 frames.

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/NewTimberwolf.aspx

So if I don't have a slide anyway might as well get something that would shoot a round with an inherently larger meplat projectiles.

https://www.beartoothbullets.com/rescources/calculators/php/wound.htm?v2=1400&v1=.46

Purpose of gun would be defence against scary 4 legged animals shooting hardcast with a semi auto thats not some ridiculously sized movie prop. So the 50 gi (.500) would let you shoot 50AE bullets and light & properly shaped 500 S&W bullets which should have a bigger meplat =bigger wound channel.

Down sides:
>Cost- Slide is more, mags cost more and $.50 per brass
>Supply limitations- seams for the most part everything you would need exep bullets and powder primers you would have to get from GI
>Figuring it out- new round no published reloading data for 50 gi +P+
>9 round only in flush mag in glock 21 frame
>Wouldn't have the 45 colt market to steal cool bullets from

Up sides:
>It's a 50 cool points ;)
>I would think it would do more damage if it were to be loaded to SUPER levels.
40 SUPER < 45 SUPER < 50 SUPER
>Could use 50AE and light 500 S&W bullets .4 + meplat options

Who has a glock GI kit and can take a pic or can attest to its chamber support?

Anyone have experience with the brass from GI?

If need to get an aftermarket barrel how hard expensive would it be to have one made?

Let me know if I'm missing something or if this road has been traveled I searched but didn't find anything

And yes I know this might be more work and money and time to do this then to jest get a 45 set up but where's the fun in that? And how would we know what we can do if someone doesn't try it or at least talk about it.

Thanks!

·
Banned
45,580 Posts
Gotta keep pushing the performance envelope! Otherwise nothing gets done.

·
Registered
37,601 Posts
I would love a 50gi, but brass is stupidly expensive & unlike a revo, you are gonna lose it. If I did get a kit, I would be shooting 300gr lfp. There are conv setups for 1911 & g21.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well since you asked, I'll admit that I load my G21 .50 conversion ammo up to 10mm pressures.

First the gun: Guncrafters made me a 6” ss barrel with a tight fully supported chamber. I installed a Sprinco corbon recoil reduction system, and a 20 lb. recoil spring. I also installed a Ghost 2.5 lb. trigger, and a stronger firing pin spring. I also installed a Hogue slip on finger groove rubber grip.

Now the ammo: Starline brass, the Lehigh 230 gr monolithic fluted solid copper bullet, and Accurate #5 powder, with WW LP primers. For liability reasons, I won't state the number of grains of powder that I use, but the muzzle velocity averages 1340 fps giving 917 foot pounds of energy.

The .50 gi case has a lot more powder capacity than the 10 mm or .460 rowland, so at equal pressures of those cartridges, it will give more muzzle energy. The primers look normal, with just a little flattening, but no firing pin drag marks, or cratering. Case head expansion, is slightly less than one thousandth, thanks to the tight chamber, which also contributes to the high velocity, as well as the six inch barrel.

I am probably running more pressure than the 10mm, but less than the .460 Rowland. The Glock 21 frame will handle the .460 just fine, as long as your setup prevents slide stop battering. Which mine does.

Recoil is very heavy, and the muzzle blast is on par with a .44 mag, so this is absolutely NOT a self defense carry option. But it will drop a whitetail in it's tracks!!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
The only time I played with one was at nationals and I have rarely though of it since. I already had a 50 BMG so the other never really were of any interest, none of them come even remotely close to it in terms of energy and I could already say I had a “50”.

The 500 S&W pushes a 300 grain bullet close to 3 times faster than the GI, I think I’d rather push a 45 acp bullet faster in a 460 Rowland than count on a bullet designed for much faster speeds but going slow.

That said, I have killed stuff with heavy bullets (405+) going subsonic speeds quite well.

·
Registered
37,601 Posts
Well since you asked, I'll admit that I load my G21 .50 conversion ammo up to 10mm pressures.

First the gun: Guncrafters made me a 6” ss barrel with a tight fully supported chamber. I installed a Sprinco corbon recoil reduction system, and a 20 lb. recoil spring. I also installed a Ghost 2.5 lb. trigger, and a stronger firing pin spring. I also installed a Hogue slip on finger groove rubber grip.

Now the ammo: Starline brass, the Lehigh 230 gr monolithic fluted solid copper bullet, and Accurate #5 powder, with WW LP primers. For liability reasons, I won't state the number of grains of powder that I use, but the muzzle velocity averages 1340 fps giving 917 foot pounds of energy.

The .50 gi case has a lot more powder capacity than the 10 mm or .460 rowland, so at equal pressures of those cartridges, it will give more muzzle energy. The primers look normal, with just a little flattening, but no firing pin drag marks, or cratering. Case head expansion, is slightly less than one thousandth, thanks to the tight chamber, which also contributes to the high velocity, as well as the six inch barrel.

I am probably running more pressure than the 10mm, but less than the .460 Rowland. The Glock 21 frame will handle the .460 just fine, as long as your setup prevents slide stop battering. Which mine does.

Recoil is very heavy, and the muzzle blast is on par with a .44 mag, so this is absolutely NOT a self defense carry option. But it will drop a whitetail in it's tracks!!
Did you try other powders? Imo aa#5 would be a bit fast for best vel/pressure combo. Longshot seems a natural.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts