close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

$50 for a Polo Shirt for Work?!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Restless28

Restless28

I am looking for polo shirts for summer wear. We usually wear 5.11 tactical shirts, but the local uniform shop wants $50 for the lighter poly ones!

I looked at some Wrangler shirts made with the similar wicking material, and they are $15.

I don't need mic clips and shoulder pen pockets. Got any suggestions for shirts? I am not paying $50 for a work polo.

2. devildog2067

devildog2067

$50 for a quality shirt doesn't seem that unreasonable to me... What's the difference between a "work polo" and a regular polo?

3. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

The name 5.11 and $20.

4. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric .45 ACP

You could go to a thrift store in a downtown they have many work polo shirts. That is where I got my polo shirts. They were about $5-$8 each. I am happy with those shirts. I think the rich folks doesn't need them so they toss it to a thrift store.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  5. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Tactical=More Money

a Jansport Backpack = $35

A Chinese produced Jansport knockoff backpack in Black and OD green with MOLLE straps all over it = $90

6. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

A mic clip, obviously. :rofl:

Sometimes, it does NOT pay to buy brand name. (Sometimes it does - YMMV, offer void in Utah.)

7. droidfire

droidfire

If it's worth $50 it's probably a good investment. If it's for work I will go out on a limb and make the assumption you will wear it often enough to justify buying a quality garment. (maybe you won't wear it often and it's just for a semi-formal summer office party)

I don't have to wear nice clothes for most of my work, I don't generally deal with the public in the things I do (though occasionally and the dress code varies accordingly), but I prefer to invest more money in quality clothes instead of just the cheapest acceptable solution.

I figure anything you will get a lot of use out of is worth ponying up to get the quality solution of - this sounds like it has the potential for this to be true.

If it's just some overpriced shirt equitable to a polo shirt in the bargain bin, then forget it, but if it is a well tailored garment and it will see a decent amount of use, you almost owe it to yourself to at least try a good one.

8. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

That's actually a pretty good price.

Usually a Lacoste polo is like $90, Ralph Lauren is $75... I haven't seen Le Tigre in a while...

Who's 5.11 though?
    Is that one of the Target brands?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  9. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl

When I was promoted to management my employer spent $250 on 5 shirts for me, IZOD XFG shirts, and IMO they are worth the money. Very light, breathable, 100% polyester and I can wear a cotton undershirt and still be comfortable in FL.

Sent from my phone booth

10. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

I wear logo polos on Friday for casual Friday, I bought them from Cabelas (they are an Underarmor lookalike) "Wick Advance" or some nonsense, on clearance for $7.50 and just had them embroidered for $7 a pop.

The uniform places and catalogs want $45-$75 for those type typically.

11. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Polo shirts aren't usually considered semi-formal.:faint:

12. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

You must be from the high-falutin part of Arkansas.

13. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

We've been buying our shirts from www.queensboro.com for over 10 years.

They are fast, very competitively priced and honor their warranty.

If you like what you see and want to be REAL nice, PM me. If I refer you and you order anything I get a credit on my account!

14. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I'm a software developer and wear polo shirts to work most days.

I'm a Sam's Club member, and they often sell nice polos that normally retail for $30-$40 for maybe $18 or so.

I think the quality is great, usually decent selections. Might have to go more than once, it seems they "rotate" brands every month or so. Sometimes they have Ralph Lauren sometimes other brands.

I'm more than happy with them.

15. napp32

napp32

I play golf 4-5 times a week; so my polo shirts and shorts start to show wear pretty quickly. A friend suggested that I look at the stuff in a Good Will outlet store. I tried it; and found that some real bargains can be had. Obviously, some of their offerings are not worth buying at any price; but some of the items are like new.

The shirts and shorts are $3.49 per item; but that's only part of the story. The tags on the items are color coded to certain days of the week. If you find an item with the correct color code for the day, it is half price. Last week I purchased three shorts and two polo shirts....total price $13.87 including state sales tax.

I don't need to shop at Good Will; but finding bargains like that is almost as satisfying as finding money in the parking lot. :cool:

16. droidfire

droidfire

Give me some scale here - what would be semi-formal then?

T-shirt (as in my answer is too high on the formal scale)

Short sleeve button-down/dress shirt? (as in my answer is too low on the formal scale)

Honest question - where does a polo rank on your scale?

17. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

It seems to be with certain people. I can't believe how many times I've been to a wedding or a funeral and seen someone come in a Polo shirt and their "Nice" sneakers. :rofl:

18. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

A polo is casual, and it's not "my" scale either. A short sleeve "dress" shirt (no such thing IMO but whatever) is also casual.

business (or "informal), business casual, semi-formal and formal are pretty clearly defined.

semi-formal attire would usually be a black suit and tie, but in most of the US "business" (informal) and "semi-formal" are interchangeable; meaning SUIT AND TIE. (not "blazer" or "sport coat" and slacks)

19. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-formal

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." - Inigo Montoya

:duel:

20. droidfire

droidfire

Okay, i'll accept the wisdom that i've probably been pretty cavalier with a term I don't have quantified correctly.

I generally know what i'm expected to wear to an event, based on the type of event, but pretty ignorant of what that level of attire is properly called.

(also - I agree with the short sleeve dress shirt being a myth, but what are they called then? I see shirts that look like dress shirts but with short sleeves, and when I went to type it out I realized I didn't know what to call it so tried to just convey the garment I was referring to as best as possible)