close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

50 and...Middle-Aged-Crazy?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by inthefrey, Jan 18, 2010.

1. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

Are any of you good GT folks at the point in your lives where you realize that there may not be as many days coming as have past?

That there are a good many things you wish you did and didn't?
    That there are things you did you wish you hadn't?
    That you've had the chance to forgive - and didn't?
    That you didn't say thanks when you should?
    That you should have said, "NO!", but said yes - and regreted it or, visa-versa?

That you wonder if, long after the worm uses his toothpick to get what's left of your hide out of his teeth, someone will remember the things you did? Did you make a positive or negative difference in the lives you touched?

And, you're beginning to take stock?

Not that I plan on going anywhere anytime soon but, I started thinking about my Bucket List today.:supergrin:

Normal at 50 or middle-aged-crazy?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

I'm 47.
    I'm not crazy.
    I have a plan.
    At age 70, start smoking.
    At age 80, start drinking.
    At age 90, start chasing wild women.

My bucket list contains one item: Eat lead.

Everything else I have done is forgotten by almost everyone in the world, including me. Everything else I will do will not be noted by almost anyone in the world. There are several people in the United States who have the same name as I do. I've had an email conversation with one of them and an email conversation with a friend of another one of them.
    Best I can tell, they're ok.

A fellow who once worked with me was fired one day. A few days later he called and said, "I guess my leaving has had as much effect as withdrawing your hand from a bucket of water". I had to agree.

My epitaph on a stone will note the time I spent alive and lack a pithy remark.

Oh, how I wish not to have adventures such as my great-grandfather had: Volunteered for the CSA, fought, defected, volunteered for the U.S.A., fought, captured, imprisoned, escaped, and spent the rest of his life begging the government for a hand out.

If the price of avoiding such adventures is to die un-noted on earth, so be it. I have a standing vow that if I'm ever in Wichita Falls I'll visit the grave of my wife's grandfather and piss on it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010

3. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

It's pretty normal, but I wouldn't obsess over it.

When I hit 50 I was just starting on a new and rather frightening career, with a lot of uncertainty thrown in the mix.

Now that I've just turned 60, I'm more at peace with myself. You will be, too, if you realize that you can't go back and fix everything you've ever done wrong, and, even if you did it right, that's no guarantee that it would have turned out for the better.

My personal faith tells me I can be forgiven, and that I have to forgive myself, for what I may have done wrong. As long as I make the effort not to keep doing the "bad" things, I will do all right. I hope you have some sort of belief system that allows this for you.

Don't dwell on the past. Learn from it, and then move on.

4. roy hobbs

roy hobbs Infidel

I'm 47, which means more than halfway. I'm just trying not to embarrass myself. I can't go back and fix anything but I do think about it...

5. Caver 60

Caver 60

Not worrying over any of the things previously mentioned. Concentrating more on eternity and the wonderful time I'm going to have there.

Meanwhile I'm going to enjoy the days I have left here serving God.

6. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

Man, I was shopping today and stopped to watch this old guy (65-70) as he tottered up and down the aisle looking for something. And I found myself thinking; dam, I'm going to hate getting old. (I turned 50 a couple weeks ago...)

Think I'll go rent a co-ed for a while...

7. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

No, you're not nuts.

I'm 50 this year, and starting a new career path. I've learned to accept that forgiveness can be achieved, and doing good things are the things that make a legacy.

I'm working on improving mine. It's really pretty easy, once you see it. My faith strengthens me.

And generally speaking, I'm OK with that being good enough.

8. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I have left an indelible mark of my own. I think that is the ambition of any person. Something to show you were here. Maybe you didn't change anything but, you were here.

9. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

I'm about 1/2 way ... sure there are alot of things I could Monday morning quarterback, but you can't change the past.

If I could just put the me I am now in the me I was at 18

:whistling:

10. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

I hit the double nickle next month...I think. I'd check my driver's license for my birthdate, but I don't remember where I put my wallet.

11. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

I'm glad I'm not alone on that one.

Now, if I could only find my keys,....I mean my phone,....no, wait...........eh,.......oh what the hell.

Forget it. :supergrin:

12. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

I was already "crazy" according to many folks who know me.
    Reaching middle-age only added a new twist to it all.

13. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Like the man said, tis better to have someone ask why there's no statue of you................than to ask why there is.

And remember what the squirrel sad, you're not too old if you can remember where your nuts are.

Hey, helps me.