Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the way too many people think. We need more "common sense" laws and regulations. Even so many (I assume the majority) of the fatalities involving vehicles involves someone breaking at least one existing law ("distracted driving" being the big one).

Then, there is this... from the article: " First, we need to diversify the people who codify road design. AASHTO, the code councils and the federal agency writing the MUTCD are dominated by white, male engineers who are trained to prioritize driver speed. We need women, people of color, transit users and bike-pedestrian advocates to bring new perspectives and cultural competencies into the conversation. " About the only thing the author left out is "it's Trump's fault".

Sigh.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Of course, we would all be "safer" if we were all forced to be indoors after 8pm, had military patrols on all streets, cameras in every home, and all persons required to wear ankle bracelets so the government could track us.

It's for the children.

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
"Cultural Competence"- is that what time's the sequence of events at a rush hour intersection?
Perhaps "prioritizing driver speed" is some antiquated notion of getting to work on time?
Maybe this new style of infrastructure design is why one mile of new road takes three years to complete in my home town?

·
NRA4EVR
11,657 Posts
Look, it’s simple: dweebs amd other incomps who can’t keep up with traffic need to take the bus. Keep off the road if you can’t perform. It has nothing to do with culture or race.

Oh, and yes there is public input and control over traffic engineering. If the majority of the people don’t like how the engineers are doing their jobs, then they can change the standarss via the legislature. The fact that we haven’t done so is prima facie proof that we’re good with it.

·
Registered
15,639 Posts
The cat is out of the bag. So many chitty drivers have been licensed and so many are on the road. You want a good tax revenue? DL good for a year and you must pass a written test and pass them driving portion to renew.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
The cat is out of the bag. So many chitty drivers have been licensed and so many are on the road. You want a good tax revenue? DL good for a year and you must pass a written test and pass them driving portion to renew.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
I'd like to see the same standard for voting.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
I think that a LOT of money could be made by having a crack down on all kinds of dangerous driving
Form a TRAFFIC department that solely does traffic duty, no Policing just issuing summonses for vehicle offenses
(No insurance, Expired DL, dangerous driving, aggressive driving, excessive speed (10 over?)

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Christ, I mean, really, this is what someone thinks is real? A rationale for traffic safety is racially biased? Oh, what, Sara wrote it, I see the real problem.

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
This brings back a memory when I was a kid growing up in Detroit.

The police back then started a program called STRESS. There was lots of discussion from memory, but since I was a kid I didn't pay much attention.

It stood for Stop The Robberies and Enjoy Safe Streets. I think the idea was to use decoys to nab muggers and other assorted hoods. It only lasted a few years. Mayor Coleman Young killed the program when he took office.

·
DEPLORABLE ME!
11,851 Posts
Sounds like another .gov plan to allow more non-hackers to feed in the .gov trough.

Sort of like one drum circle....

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
The author's bio describes her as a Mexican-American lawyer married to the mayor of Hartford, Ct, a failed city.

Transportation has always been a problem:
1. there were once unpaved and paved European walking roads criss crossing the the whole area.
2. there were horse poop problems in New York City before cars.
3. there were moving sidewalks in Paris in 1900.

I have lived in my neighborhood for over 40 years. It is now festooned with speed bumps/stop signs/stoplights. Cell phone route apps have changed the streets into speedways. People don't stop. They don't obey the speed laws. So make up new rules until cows come home.

How I cope follows:
1. don't travel in rush hour
2. stack things to do when out driving - the doctor, the grocery store, the dance studio
3. order parts on line - the big box stores are really 1/2 stores. 1/2 of the time you go for parts, they don't exist.
4. grocery shop when nobody else will be in the store.
5. avoid driving on the weekend.
6. I had a forward looking camera installed on my 17 year old car. I charge $300 for a video of the car accident.
7. I have a rear mounted camera, honk my horn and turn on my flashers when backing out of a parking spot.

·
Polymerlicious!
6,136 Posts

The police back then started a program called STRESS. There was lots of discussion back then from memory, but since I was a kid I didn't pay much attention.

It stood for Stop The Robberies and Enjoy Safe Streets. I think the idea was to use decoys to nab muggers and other assorted hoods. It only lasted a few years. Mayor Coleman Young killed the program when he took office.
It's what Democrats do: side with criminals over citizens. They've been doing it one way or another for decades.
The Democratic Party is the largest criminal enterprise in the United States.

·
Wolverine
9,646 Posts

The police back then started a program called STRESS. There was lots of discussion back then from memory, but since I was a kid I didn't pay much attention.

STRESS was the brainchild of the police commissioner John Nichols under Mayor Roman Gribbs IIRC, and it worked very well. Hizzoner Young abolished it because why? It was “racist”. Yep, crime immediately skyrocketed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
As much as we can, letting the machines do the driving will help a lot..
Even the basic automatic braking systems they are putting in cars now have been shown to reduce front to rear crashes by a little more than 50%.

Of course the manly men amongst us will insist they are 100% alert, 100% of the time and don't need it, but the statistics just don't show that.

Of course that isn't going to address shooting up the drive through situations,.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
Want to make roads safer?

Stop allowing poorly trained American drivers on them and adopt European licensing and vehicle standards.

Otherwise you’re just providing lip service
Not all European countries had strict standards, I know that Germany did, I remember driving in DE in the 80's,You could depend on the people driving cars with DE license plates doing the "right" thing...AND AT 100 mph on the AUTOBAHN that was rather important
*** This "popped up" ***

Discussion Starter • #1 May 13, 2019

More of them today...No signals...(keeping your turn a secret)
Passing you on the RIGHT to cut you off and make a LEFT turn
Moving way over to the RIGHT on a 2 lane road to make a LEFT turn
We need LASERS on our cars to eliminate the MORONS you meet in everyday life...
Rant over :deadhorse:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts