5 rounds, one more time...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by yep380, Mar 29, 2020.

1. fredj338

fredj338

Reality is the LEO probably didnt land all com hits. Certainly shots to the head would have been better, if the LEO was capable. Could more gun be better, sure a bit, but only if he lands good hits. Do we know the dept gun & ammo used?

Nanuk and Danielsuzuki like this.
  2. Nanuk

Nanuk

Absolutely. This is the scenario that I prep for, much more common than running and gunning against a gang of armed thugs. I don't mean to be argumentative but I worked the streets for almost 40 years and saw lots of people shot, stabbed, run over, hit in the head with assorted implements. It gives one a certain perspective. To be honest, I would rather have fewer harder hitting rounds than lots of small rounds. As a contradiction to myself I just bought a 9mm and mounted a RDS.

glock1097 and Danielsuzuki like this.

3. Danielsuzuki

Danielsuzuki Happiness is where you find it

I happen to share your view. I carry a G29.4 because I often find myself in the rural parts of my area - More so now that I’ve left Houston permanently.

If I can’t stop the threat with that, whatever it is has earned my demise.

glock1097 and Nanuk like this.
  4. fredj338

fredj338

Why I dont think 5 is enough. Even a single attacker may become suddenly bullet proof if on a substance or just adrenaline. If the attack is danger close, you run out of time pretty quickly, and your 5rds, in 2-3sec, even if all hit sonething important, 10sec is a very long time if you are being shot at or stabbed.

Nanuk and Danielsuzuki like this.
  5. fredj338

fredj338

Are you good with your g29, have you actually tested your skill level? Unfirtunately, many carry more gun than they can actually shoot for a false sense of security. I am all for more gun but more gun doesnt always mean better. I have moved several shooters off their comoact 40 & 45 because they fail a basic skill level & are not willing to dedicate more time & money training & practicing. Missing is unacceptable & can be hazardous to your survival.

Nanuk, Ordell Robbie and Danielsuzuki like this.
  6. Danielsuzuki

Danielsuzuki Happiness is where you find it

9EA63C52-9474-4A1A-B203-07A9358E7C3F.jpeg
    As good as consistent training and practice with Several hundred pounds of Sig Sauer ball can make me my friend.
    Shoot and move!

I’ve worn the finish off my weapon with draw and dry fire practice!

fredj338 and glock1097 like this.
  7. BBMW

BBMW

Posters here have brought up all the usual gun issues. Maybe I'll say something about that later, but lets deal with the non-gun issues first.

The intruder seems to have easily kicked through the house's back door. Anyone who cares at all about security has to make sure this can't happen. All doors need to be reinforced to the point where a simple kick won't break through the door, and that even with tools, doing so won't be quick or quiet. Front door, back door, and especially glass doors all need locks and reinforcement (for glass, either hurricane glass or security film) that make it a PITA for an attacker to break through. I bet every here knows what has to be done to achieve this. If not that can be it's own thread.

As far as gun issues, that's been covered, but I'l throw in my $0.02. The husband hearing a frakus should have grabbed one of his guns, best the .45. He went barehanded into a gunfight, and only the intruder's gross gun incompetence and a metric buttload of luck saved him and his wife. Normally I'd talk about retreating to and hunkering into an armed defense in the bedroom (and being prepared to do that.) But with his wife under attack in the living room, that wasn't viable. But if he goes into the fight armed, and especially with better than the smubbie, this would have been over more quickly.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    fredj338, glock1097 and Danielsuzuki like this.
  8. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

:panties:
    OK, the underwear comment was an exaggeration, but the point is 99% of the time one has on clothes a snubby can be carried on you. That is very important to many people. I am only saying a snubby is fine and has at least this one advantage over higher cap and heavier weapons. That is not saying other pistols are not fine and have no advantages. Saying something positive about snubbies is not being critical of larger pistols. When you compliment one child, is that necessarily being critical of the other? No!

In the OP’s story the victims did not have a weapon initially and they retrieved some. Nuff said.

All the more reason to have a weapon on you, rather than thinking you will have time to “produce” one. I think people are in two camps on this issue, those who are comfortable carrying a snubby and those who can’t hit the broad side of a barn with one. :outtahere:

9. fredj338

fredj338

Ok, who carries a gun in their clothing while investigating a bump in the night? I know if I have to go check an odd noise my gun is in one hand & flashlight in the other. Besides, there is the obvious flaw only 5-6rds in a snub & engaging multiple attackers. It just makes little sense to most of us to limit our at home weapon when you really have no reason to. I don't need to conceal anything, & more ammo is always better than less ammo. Yet everyone needs to be comfy with their choices.

FireForged likes this.
  10. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Fred, some get it.. some don't. Clearly you understand the point I was trying to make.

fredj338 likes this.
  11. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Nuff said, should probably follow thousands of examples, not (1) singular event in a bubble. As I said previously, I doubt that history supports the notion of retrieving a secondary weapon that is not already close at hand. I consider it much more likely that whatever weapon a person first bring the bear is the only one that is going to matter. It doesn't mean you don't train or plan for alternate outcomes but generally speaking, you run what you brung. Most armed conflicts are not likely to allow for much more than that. History is history and stats are stats.

12. fastbolt

fastbolt

We can go round and round in circles with this without arriving at a perfect answer for everyone and every possible situation.

Some folks like to depend on capacity for their "I feel good about this for me" answer.

Some like to depend on caliber to give them confidence.

Some like to depend on both capacity and caliber.

Some like to depend on their ability to demonstrate skillset and accuracy, whether it's on a simple static range, or being pushed to their limits in a demanding training venue, or as a competitor in various shooting sports.

Having been trained to check out suspicious conditions, I learned long ago that not every "check" of property or structure requires a gun in the hand.

When it comes right down to it, I couldn't care less whether someone decides to use a Ruger Blackhawk, a DA revolver of any size, a single or a double stack pistol ... as long as they're familiar and competent to safely handle it, and have the knowledge and mindset to use it, if absolutely necessary ... and just as importantly (if not more so), have the knowledge and judgment to recognize when NOT to use it.

13. yep380

yep380

14. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

You are in absolute agreement with me on this. I should have realized a few replies ago that, once any discussion has devolved into people refuting things that were not said, it has pretty much coded. RIP thread! Be safe, people.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020