5 rounds, one more time...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by yep380, Mar 29, 2020.

1. fredj338

fredj338

Along those same lines, I shoot a G19 most every weekend in competition. Last year I thought I should shoot my carry gun more, G26. So I shot 30 + matches with the G26. I find virtually no diff between my shooting with the G19 vs G26, maybe a bit faster over all with the G26, like pointing your fist at the target. MY overall times are bit slower because I shoot in the BUG category & must shoot only 6rds, but that gives me a lot of reloading practice.

ironhead7544 likes this.
  2. fredj338

fredj338

SO here are two basic drills, yes you need a shot timer, there are decent apps for them.
    5x5x5 drill: 5rds from holster at the headbox of a idpa or uspsa target or a 5x5 post-note works. Use a Sharpie & put a 1/2 border on the head or shoot for the smaller zero down box. Shoot from 5y, 5hits in 5sec.
    Mod Bill drill (for the snub): 5rds from 7y USPSA or IDPA target or 8" paper plate. All the rounds must impact inside the 8" scoring area, you want to be under 3sec from the holster.
    This allows you to see where you are at with any given platform or caliber change. If you cant get all your hits in the allotted time, more practice or carry what you can get hits with. Most people that do not shoot a lot can barely get 2hits in a bill drill in 3sec. Most will not make the 5sec time in the 5x5. Yes it takes practice to achieve these goals. Does it mean you are not capable of defending yourself, of course not, but you will be allowing luck to play a larger role in your SD.

3. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

I’ve gotten pretty good with the speed strip, I’m much faster with a twist style speed loader, I keep one in my center console.......but if I have to go back to my truck for something it won’t be that

Ross-in-Pa likes this.
  4. Nanuk

Nanuk

Nothing you do to a 38 special is going to make it as consistently effective as a 357 magnum besides add velocity.

fredj338 likes this.
  5. fredj338

fredj338

Agree, sort of, but bullet is important. If all I had were 158gr fmj in my 357mag, even lswc, or good jhp in my 38sp +p, I'm going 38. As you yourself stated, you think Lim Survived because the bullet wasnt doing the work. I'm I huge 357mag fan, but it isn't a death ray, as has been proven. Bullet design matters & even then, ever person reacts diff to pain & stress.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  6. fredj338

fredj338

A speed strip is certainly a compromise. Practice & you can reload a revolver shot to shot in about 4sec with any decent speed loader. Speed strip, you can almost load as fast with rds out of your pocket. A revo is still a good fighting tool, for 5-6 shots. After that, unless you have backup so you can reload, you are effectively out of the fight imo.

knoxrocks222 likes this.
  7. yep380

yep380

While I’ve never had to reload a revolver under duress, I suspect it would be difficult.

These J-clips look like an improvement over the speed strip: https://zetasix.com/product/j-clip/

8. Nanuk

Nanuk

I did not say that the bullet did not do the work. I stated she is one tough woman and got first rate medical care. Why would you use FMJ in a 357 mag?

9. fredj338

fredj338

You said if it were a Rem instead pf Win, diff story. That implies the bullet didnt do the work. Forget the medical care, she stayed in the fight with a hole in her heart, probably bone frags in her lungs, she stayed in the fight & killed her attacker. She did thst with a rd prettymuch the equv of a 38sp +p.
    FWIW, I would not use fmj in any SD round unless forced to. The point is bad guys are generally not gun people either & will shoot what ever they have in their hand. Just noting that merely adding vel doesn't make the given round better, just faster. All about the bullet, why I gave the fmj example.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    glock1097 and yep380 like this.
  10. fredj338

fredj338

This is where running your gear under competition stress is helpful in seeing problems. I prefer moon clips over speed loaders but soeed loaders over strips or dump pouches.

yep380 likes this.
  11. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

yep380 likes this.
  12. yep380

yep380

Those jclips look a little more rugged than moon clips. Admittedly, I’ve never used either. I did order some of those jclips recently though.

13. fastbolt

fastbolt

Most folks find it easier to shoot full-size pistols and revolvers.

It takes more work to run the smaller pistols and revolvers as well as their bigger cousins, with "more work" also meaning it's not as easy, and frenetic, fur-flying conditions can really make it quickly go downhill.

One of the reasons I often used my issued compacts (3.5"/.40 or 3.75"/.45), as well as my collection of compact and subcompact 9's, .40's & .45's, was that the harder I worked to master the littler guns, the better I did with the larger guns. Practicing with the larger guns reached a point where it felt like it was becoming "stale" and didn't make we work as hard, but pushing to run the littler guns and continually improve with them was always more challenging. Handy when it came to carrying them, too.

Matter of fact, I opted to take an issued compact .40 (4103TSW) to the instructor update class I attended before I retired. I could've taken one of our full-size 4006TSW or 4566TSW duty weapons. I wanted to run the smaller, slightly harder recoiling compact, though, because I was carrying it daily in my plainclothes assignment.

The various courses-of-fire were scored throughout that week, between the training & practice drills, meaning you had to pass the scored parts in order to pass the class. I didn't feel that I was at any disadvantage using the compact weapon. A couple of the courses went out to 50yds, too.

There were a number of instructors using their full-size duty weapons who had a hard time passing the various scored parts of the class, and at least one experienced (meaning he was already working as an instructor at his agency) instructor failed the class due to not passing the scored quals. There may have been a another guy who was told he hadn't passed due to his scores, but I packed up my gear and left without sticking around to beat traffic.

The old "train hard to fight easy" idea does have some amount of merit. For someone who doesn't have the time, money and ability to keep pushing themselves? There's nothing wrong with sticking with what you can use best with the amount of time you have available to maintain an acceptable skillset. :)

14. Nanuk

Nanuk

My point was that the two bullets, due to construction work differently. I never have been, nor will I ever be a fan of a 110 grn bullet in a 357 magnum. I am no fan of the 38 special either, except as a small light BUG.

No, she used a Beretta 9mm.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  15. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

Most defiantly, the reason I like the speed strips is because they keep all the rounds together and all facing the same way when they come out of my pocket, and it eliminates the extra step of reaching into my pocket for every round, and you get 2 rounds in at a time. I've gotten to where I can get the cylinder open, rounds out, and 5 more rounds back in in about 6 seconds. Ive got a range here at the house, which helps. I shoot at least twice a week practicing reload drills. I like to end my day pinging my little 6 inch targets at 400 yards with my 6.5cm lol

16. fredj338

fredj338

Yes many will argue the 9mm is nothing but a modern 38sp.

17. jacinda

jacinda

Agree with patchman " I believe more important than the gun itself is the number of defenders you have who are capable of and available to protect the home"

18. Patchman

Patchman Florist

[​IMG]

Like this?

ranger1968 and fastbolt like this.
  19. Danielsuzuki

Danielsuzuki Happiness is where you find it

Used to be satisfied with 10+1 and a reload. Not at the moment.

Welcome to the new world folks.

fredj338 likes this.
  20. fredj338

fredj338

Though honestly, if you can shoot, I cant imagine s scenario that requires more than 20rds to solve. Get your hits, even guys wearing body armor, get you hits.

ranger1968, Nanuk and Danielsuzuki like this.