5 rounds, one more time...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by yep380, Mar 29, 2020.

1. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Brother.. I stand by what I said. The 38 special is an adequate SD round (generally).

If you want to proclaim otherwise, thats fine with me. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.

KiloBravo, yep380 and Nanuk like this.
  2. FireForged

Why in the world would someone put a house gun in their pajamas? If your suggestion is that a weapon needed to potentially defend your live "indoors at home", needs to rest comfortably in your pajamas or undershorts, you have a rather bizarre idea of home defense. I guess that disqualifies any number of shotguns or carbines as well as anything weighing over a half a pound. Good luck with all that.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020

3. Nanuk

Nanuk

Differing opinions. I came to mine from seeing results on the street.

glock1097 and yep380 like this.
  4. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

So it's the code of the hills or something that says you can't? I was responding to the statement,"I just see no point in a snub as a house gun." I provided one valid point.

You read a suggestion into my post I did not write. Because a house gun can be carried thusly, doesn't mean all house guns must.

alwaysshootin and glock1097 like this.
  5. fastbolt

fastbolt

Hey, I've thought about an excuse to buy a nice smoking jacket with big pockets .;)

Also, if they can carry a snub revolver under a garter in TV shows and Movies ... :p

6. fredj338

fredj338

If, could but didnt. Even then could she have done the same thing, diff bullet? Maybe. Devestated, yeah I see that as a one shot stop followed by death. Not return fire, kill your attacker & make it to the ER, live happily ever after.

7. fredj338

fredj338

No, I think the important thing is can you shoot it well? Far too many train & practice with full size guns then carry snubs they can't shoot, because its comfy.

8. Nanuk

Nanuk

The difference of the bullet is the construction. It can be critical, in this case it was. The Remington for example would have gone off like a grenade and she would have been dead, with that shot placement.

She suffered a devastating wound that punctured her heart. She can attribute her survival to three things. She is one tough woman, her roommate called for help immediately, and she received some of the best emergency trauma care on the planet.

People today are surviving GSW's because of modern medicine, not because the ammo sucks.

She would be one of the failures to stop in the books.

That is why one shot stops are not, sure it can happen but don't bet your life on it.

It is mostly semantics, you want to say OSS, but use devastating instead because you don't want to get called out. I get it.

glock1097 likes this.
  9. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

It's my only pistol at the moment so I shoot it regularly. I feel good with it. Next gun purchase I would really like a 686+ for a more appropriate home pistol.

10. fredj338

fredj338

Not picking on you, but what you feel isnt the question. How well do you shoot it? Most shooters have no idea what they can & can not do with a pistol because their exoerience is 21ft, flat range slow fire. So while feeling good about your gun choice is a posetive, what can you actually do with that choice.
    There are several basic drills you can run to establish competency with a combat handgun. I am not saying you cant be effective with a snub but it requires a lot of practice & some training is always helpful.

11. fredj338

fredj338

No Nanuk I used devastating because you did. As noted, semantics maybe but devastated means just that, unable to function. Sure the wound was serious but just proves the energy dump theory is bunk. Maybe you didnt want use that phrase so chose devastating? Your point on bullet construction is one I always make.
    The bullet design is critical unless you just want to punch small holes. So back to the 38 vs 357. Bullet design is what determines effectiveness, but you know that. Extra vel is helpful to achieve that, but you know that. Vel by itself isnt the critical factor though, it is the bullet design & placement. But then we know if the bullet doesn't work well, placement doesn't help that either.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Danielsuzuki and Nanuk like this.
  12. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

39C435F6-2C76-4E36-8C64-C4AE5F806266.jpeg Here’s my EDC

tool-time likes this.
  13. skyfall

skyfall

Combat training is why I sold my G43. Great at the indoor range,but drawing and shooting from a moving position was my downfall.I know someone will post more practice but some of us do not have the opportunity to always have a place to practice and larger pistols work better for me.My G45 does everything I need.

14. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

No it's all good, I appreciate the remarks. Thank you. I used to have access to a steel plate rack, but that was when I was shooting my G19. I was decent at it. But you are right, never tried it with my snub. Now a days when I go shooting it's on wooded property and it's more like speed pinking with cans and such on the ground. I go out there mostly for fun and to make sure I can still shoot well.

But I do know I can shoot faster and more accurate with a G19 in my hand vs this snub. It would be interesting to shoot both side by side to see how much I am giving up.

Patchman and fredj338 like this.
  15. fredj338

fredj338

And that is what the question is. I wont bet my life or my families on an untested platform. I run drills when ever I change something in my armory. At the least it lets you ID a problem & move to fix it. Yes 5rds might be fine, if the shooter is 100% up to the task.

Danielsuzuki and Slackinoff like this.
  16. fredj338

fredj338

I would say you are in the 75% of people that carry something they have never really tested. They just assume a transition from service size or even compact gun to BUG will be fine & often it is just not. They train with a holster @ 3:00 then pocket carry & never train from the pocket. This goes for ccw & LEO btw, a badge doesn't give you automatic skill levels.

Danielsuzuki and Nanuk like this.
  17. fastbolt

fastbolt

As I recall when listening to her describe her incident, she said she also coded out twice in the ambulance, and they missed the hole in her heart during the first round of surgery.

Nanuk likes this.
  18. FireForged

If you are suggesting that a credible reason for selecting a small snub gun as a HD weapon- is that you can put it in the waistband of your shorts.. I would not call that a "valid" point. I say that putting a gun in your pajamas is probably an exceedingly low to non existent priority with most people. Perhaps I missed your point but I draw this conclusion based on the fact that you are being critical of larger guns being unsuited for pajama waistband carry.

As far as your idea of retreating to a 15 shot weapon ( if needed). I would say history is not on your side. Most armed conflicts are over in seconds and people are typically relegated to "run what you brung". I am not saying that a person would not have time to retrieve a weapon. I am suggesting that you are not likely to be afforded that opportunity once hostilities have begun. I am rather critical of the whole "I will use my gun to fight my way to my rifle". I consider that a most unlikely scenario. If a person expects to transition to a secondary weapon, they should probably have it on their person. The far more likely scenario ( as a citizen) is that you begin and end your fight with first weapon you produce.

19. FireForged

Nothing at all wrong with that. While out and about, I will often carry a colt cobra in my front pocket. Never really got the hang of speed strip though. I still carry a 80s era twist release speed loader.

glock1097, Berto and knoxrocks222 like this.
  20. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Here's my experiences. Twenty years ago, on two occasions where I was taking a 2 and a 3 days CCW/shooting classes, I switched guns. The first class, on day 1 (warm up/instructor evaluating student's abilities) I used a G26. The second class, on day 1, was the Kahr K9. Then rest of class I used a G19. Based on these two experiences, I carry the G19 everyday since.

fastbolt, Nanuk and fredj338 like this.