5 rounds, one more time...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by yep380, Mar 29, 2020.

1. yep380

yep380

I think you hit on a great point; I doubt it too. From my take on the article, she was surprised, turned to run, and got taken down hard. Even with a gun, any gun, she might not have been able to employ it.

Another good point; the intruder was a moron and obviously knew nothing about his gun. He still managed to inflict substantial damage on both the husband and wife. Heck, he beat the husband several WITH the gun.

But, this is a case where a snub was utilized in a chaotic situation, and 5 rounds were not enough. The attacker was hit with 2 out of the 5 rounds, with one of them hitting his heart. Even with that, the fight continued.

Another key takeaway from this: thankfully they had access to another weapon. I don't see how the husband could have possibly reloaded that snubby.

As did the husband in this case... he just didn't have his .45 at hand, and when the wife retrieved a gun, she went with what she knew. The husband stated "She didn’t know my Firestar .45 auto, my regular everyday carry then, was in my night table drawer."

That's kind of a key point: the husband left the bedroom unarmed. But, as we discussed earlier up the thread, the grandson being in the house might have weighed into that decision.

Nope, that's definitely a constant.

2. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

My main takeaway from the article is to reinforce that one should not respond to a possible domestic emergency with only your Johnson in your hand. Had he had that 5 shot snubbie when he responded to the noise and was proficient with it, the story may well have been shorter.
    It is only a bad decision if you do not follow and practice these 4 basic rules:
    1.) All guns are always loaded.
    2.) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3.) Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target.
    4.) Be sure of your target.

My grandchildren are worth protecting.

nikerret, Caver 60 and yep380 like this.

3. Maxx702

Maxx702 Rottweilers making America great again!

I do whole-heartedly agree a .38 snub is a very poor choice for HD.

During the summer months, I find it too easy to pocket carry one. I do need to work on that.

4. fastbolt

fastbolt

I'd like to complete the 4th rule, though.

4.) Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

That last bit of the commonly stated 4th "rule" may be critical to helping protect the safety of your (and my) grandchildren. ;)

fredj338 and yep380 like this.
  5. yep380

yep380

Indeed.

He said his EDC was a .45 - so I would assume that's what he would normally grab.

One thing not really mentioned is why he initially left the bedroom without a gun. It said he was responding to his wife screaming... which, in his defense, could have been anything.

But, like all these scenarios, it's easy to second guess and Monday morning quarterback.

glock1097 likes this.
  6. fredj338

fredj338

Why many unskilled good guys win over even lesser skilled bad guys. That is the idiot you want in your fight.

7. Quickling

Quickling

Speaking of little ones, that is exactly the reason why I would be using a snubby for HD. Rather than having an EDC and nightstand gun, I would try to make my EDC do both jobs, that way I don't forget to secure the nightstand gun.

Right now its just the wife and I, and since I married in my 30s I might have accumulated a few guns. We never have house guests and live in the country, so we generally have guns located in most rooms without risk of someone playing with them.

However, once the little ones start arriving, the guns will be secured until they are old enough to understand not to touch them. During this time, I fully expect that the fullsize gun on my nightstand will be locked up, and the snubby that is with me every day will simply move from my pocket to the nightstand while I am sleeping, and then back into my pockets when I wake up. Thereby minimizing the guns laying around the house.

8. hardluk1

hardluk1

Lucky couple to make it threw this break in alive . Lots of bad choices & mistakes by all involved .

yep380 likes this.
  9. SK2344

SK2344

I really am done debating the round count Issue, so just let me say this one time, yes, a pistol with 17 rounds is probably better than a 5 shot snub nose revolver but I can also say that a Double Barrel Shotgun is better for home defense than just about anything and it only has 2 rounds! I choose to have 6 rounds in mine!

yep380 likes this.
  10. CDW4ME

CDW4ME Enigma

My philosophy: Of the concealable guns you own carry the gun you would prefer in hand if you had to defend yourself, regardless of location or light.

There is nowhere I'd prefer to defend my life with a snub than a Glock 19/23.
    The snub would be acceptable in weak hand pocket as "back up/2nd option" to the Glock.

Carry the gun you would prefer in hand, few would prefer a snub over other options. ;)
    My philosophy in other words.... Don't be lackadaisical.

yep380 likes this.
  11. Nanuk

Nanuk

Th
    The snubby was not the problem, the 38 special part was and of course the three misses, not to mention leaving it behind in the first place.

nikerret, Pluto57 and fredj338 like this.
  12. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

I carry a gun all the time. Sometimes it's a five shot snubby. I've never felt under-protected at any time. YMMV.

yep380 likes this.
  13. Ordell Robbie

Ordell Robbie Giant Member

I am not bashing the homeowner, I'm glad he and his family are alive and won the fight.

I am also not trying to make an argument for or against any type of gun here, the guns his wife retrieved were what he had to work with. We can all MMQB and argue HD tactics but this guy actually lived it and lived "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

The GG had been pistol whipped and was disoriented before his wife got him the snubby, he fired from the hip and went 2 for 5. Who's to say he would have landed anymore with an auto? Then there is the possibility of a FTF/FTE, or stovepipe due to limpwristing or a bad grip with the auto as well at that point, remember he had just been pistol whipped and felt like he might lose consciousness. I don't think we can ever know if the auto loader would have ended the fight quicker or not. In the end though it doesn't matter, he fought with what he had and he survived.

FullClip, michpatriot and yep380 like this.
  14. WT

WT Millennium Member

"It’s not how many shots you’ve fired, it’s how many hit your target." – Bernie Goetz

michpatriot likes this.
  15. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

Not about MMQBing, defending or condemning the victims at all. It's about learning from others' mistakes before we make them in order to help keep ourselves safer in the future.

alwaysshootin, nikerret and yep380 like this.
  16. Pluto57

Pluto57

My comfort level is 11 rounds. Not that I think I will miss but that crap happens and it may take more than nine rounds. A determined attacker can be just that, determined to reach and kill you. Carrying more rounds is a mild inconvenience.

yep380 likes this.
  17. yep380

yep380

Really good point.

First of all, 2 for 5 is not terrible with a snub rapid fire, let alone being injured and disoriented. The point about a snub being more forgiving of a bad grip is valid as well.

Yeah, very true.

Ordell Robbie likes this.
  18. Pluto57

Pluto57

These are important points. Had he hit five times instead of two, the snubby probably would have been sufficient.

tool-time, Nanuk and tnhawk like this.
  19. yep380

yep380

I want to make sure I understand; are you saying the caliber (38spc) was part of the problem?

I don't want to jump into a caliber discussion, 'cause I don't think caliber was part of husband's issue here. I think it's been pointed out enough over the years that handguns in general aren't great "man stoppers".

True, but as I said above, 2 out of 5 while wounded, in motion, with a snub, isn't terrible.

Bullwinkle J Moose likes this.
  20. Nanuk

Nanuk

It was not very good either. Yes I am saying that the 38 Special from a snubby sucks. I have seen lots of people shot with 38's and 357 mags, there is a gulf of difference between the two.