close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

$5 plate rack

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by njl, Jan 30, 2010.

1. njl

njl Crusty Member

No longer having easy access to a range with steel plate racks, I had to improvise a way to practice Glock the Plates. What do you think of my $5 plate rack?

[​IMG]

2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Hah! I love it! Paper plates?

I'd suggest that light colored masking tape would be better for pasting.

This should be a sticky! :)

3. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

You did buy your paper plates at the "dollar store" to keep the cost as low as possible?

4. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

wow,:faint:, you may have solved a problem I've been running thru my head for awhile. I had put paper plates on cardboard, spaced correctly, but wasn't satisfied with that. I was getting ready to order some "rubber" plates from Dillon Blue Press this week at the cost of around $200, to make a portable wood frame plate rack. Now I will hold off and try out your idea.

5. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Does the plate even move if you hit it? I would think a valuable part of practice would be the feedback of "knowing" if you hit the plate (ie the plate falls over, or at least provides some audible/visible means of conveying that info?).

6. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

7. mteagle1

mteagle1

If you are waiting for the plate to move you have lost valuable time. I have ROed 4 GSSF matches on the plate rack and I have seen shooters finish while the 2nd or 3rd plate is just starting to move, think a 2.45 time. Learn to trust the sight picture as the gun starts in recoil to decide if it was a good shot or not.

8. GlockinRandall

GlockinRandall Member

I think mteagle1 is right on. Ideally you would treat the plate just like paper targets. Sight, press, next. After you sweep the whole rack then go back and clear any left standing. I know its easier said than done, no matter how much i practice i catch myself watching the plates and start missing sometimes. Its hard because it is a reactive target and your noggin wants you to look and verify that you got the plate. But it does get easier and easier as you practice and shoot more.

9. Butch

Quite correct!

If you're looking at the plates, you're wasting time!

And you best look at your sights so you can hit the plates.

10. njl

njl Crusty Member

The plates are part of a big pack of the cheapest plates I could find that I bought years ago just to use as targets.

The uprights are a 1x2x8 cut in half ($0.77) from Lowes. I had to cut down the ends to about 1x1 to fit in the spiral steel fishing rod holders you may or may not have noticed in the picture. The rope is recycled U-Haul tie down rope kept from a previous move. The binder clips I had laying around. The tape is also from U-Haul...it's their paper packing tape...and what I've been using for target pasting for years. I think I'm only into my second roll.

You don't get the ping or movement that steel provides, but for an on-site design that cost pocket change, what do you expect? :)
    I was actually kind of worried when I got to the range, because thinking about the design at the house, I'd assumed I'd use the rod holders as bases, but the only 1x2's I have that are cut to fit them are the 4' ones, and a plate rack 4' tall at the tops of the plates is too short. Then I realized I could set it up a few feet up the berm and it was good.

Possible improvements I may try next time out:
    A longer length of rope so I can get more proper spacing of the plates. That was the longest one I had with me.
    A pair of tent stakes and more rope to pull each upright outwards to try to minimize the sag in the rack.

Like mteagle1 said, though I love shooting plates exactly because of the feedback you get from hitting them, for training purposes paper is better in that there's no waiting to see/hear if you made a hit...you just shoot them, check your time, and then go forward to see how you did and tape.

The people who are shooting 6 plates in 3s (give or take a second) are able to do it both because they're fast and because they're not waiting between shots to see if the plate they shot fell. If you watch them, you'll see they sweep the rack, and only after engaging each plate once go back to mop up any they missed...or blow the rest of their mag trying to scare that last plate down. I watched Fireglock do that several years ago and just couldn't believe it.

11. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

That is pretty cool. I spent a lot more to get a little reaction to hits.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I started teaching my kids to shoot these with 22 rifle a couple of years ago. I had so much fun I use it for pistol practice and high power rifle. A real confidence builder too. Bust a clay at 250 yards and you know that Mr Coyotes vital area is in serious danger.

Last year, I took a few guys from work to the range to check zero on our scoped hunting rifles. Once everyone was happy, I set up this rig at 100 yards.
    Two guys shyed away. (I'm their firearms instructor- they have to listen to me) I explained the clay is the same size as the bullseye they were just shooting at. We busted a bunch of clays. There is the confidence in their rifles. Of course being cheap bastard cops they didn't donate to the clays fund. Next spring I'll make them bring a case out for patrol rifle training.

12. Butch

That's neat too! What are the clips?

13. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

14. angrydogtattoo

angrydogtattoo

Are those hangers plastic?

15. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

It would be more expensive, but what about using disposable aluminum foil pin tin plates?

It would probably give you more movement and sound.

I don't know about pasting them though. Duct tape?

Glue paper plates to the pie tin plates and paste those?

:whistling:

16. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

Another thing neat to use is the lids off of coffee cans, both the large and the small ones. The plastic lids are super to aim at to practice the plates. Another thing I like to do before a GSSF match, I possible, is to go to a bowling pin shoot. I figure, if I can hit a bowling pin, I can shoot a plate, which is bigger!