·
Why so serious?
65,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
42,140 Posts
I’ll stick with my Illy machine

the winner does look interesting though......

·
First throwing ax bullseye.
2,523 Posts
Got to disagree that a pour-over type filter does better than a moka pot. I use a stainless steel type moka pot. I have used a same pour-over contraption they show. Worlds different to me and the moka pot wins hands down. I've never used an Aeropress so I have no idea how it compares.

·
NRA Life Member
29,351 Posts
Cold brewed here. Water / coffee in a 32 oz. Ball canning jar in the refrig overnight, then through a coffee filter. Not bitter at all.

If you want hot; just zap it in the microwave.

Reactions: Dr. Bill and TBO

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Got to disagree that a pour-over type filter does better than a moka pot. I use a stainless steel type moka pot. I have used a same pour-over contraption they show. Worlds different to me and the moka pot wins hands down. I've never used an Aeropress so I have no idea how it compares.
I've used a pour over and an Aeropress.

Aeropress is smoother... but some might say too smooth. My opinion is that pour over gives you better, fuller flavor (due to longer steeping times) than Aeropress, even though I do enjoy Aeropress.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Cold brewed here. Water / coffee in a 32 oz. Ball canning jar in the refrig overnight, then through a coffee filter. Not bitter at all.

Out of curiosity how much coffee do you use with 32 oz of water?

·
Registered
11,258 Posts

Water to measures of coffee ratio?

·
Why so serious?
65,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've used a pour over and an Aeropress.

Aeropress is smoother... but some might say too smooth. My opinion is that pour over gives you better, fuller flavor (due to longer steeping times) than Aeropress, even though I do enjoy Aeropress.
You can use a reusable metal filter with the Aeropress instead of the disposable paper ones.

That lets the oils through and gives you a bolder curve.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

Reactions: PennsWoods

·
Why so serious?
65,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Italian is soooo yesterday. The coffee craze of 2020 is dalgona, a South Korean-styled coffee.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
I've actually been drinking this instant stuff. I watch a Youtube guy who reviews MRE's (Steve1989MREInfo), including older MREs, and he makes the coffee look so good that I had to try some instant.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/n...MatZpIsdVhlqUNs7STVLmEncPEO68-ZoaAixbEALw_wcB

Here is what one reviewer says:

I am an old soldier. I have drank your coffee in Bosnia, Hungary, Germany, Kuwait and Iraq. Standing guard duty in ice covered shacks or the sandy hot battlefields of Iraq..Tasters Choice has been my go to coffee. I drink it every morning and lug that big glass jar with me on trips and to work. I.. absolutely..love your coffee! Thanks for making such a great product. I have never managed to make a bitter cup. If you are at my house and want some coffee.. It'll be Nescafe!

·
NRA Life Member
29,351 Posts
Water to measures of coffee ratio?
Out of curiosity how much coffee do you use with 32 oz of water?
The little dipper my wife uses says " Standard Coffee Measure ". I dipped some out, leveled it and that measure is 2 tablespoons of coffee.

She says she uses 4 measures ( 8 tablespoons ) in 32 oz. of water.

Reactions: snappy

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I got an AeroPress right before we moved (per TBO's recommendation, nay- insistence :cowboy:), had a few go-rounds with it, found it a little messy but I probably wasn't doing it right. Then it got packed up. I'll have to ask my wife where she put it. Then I plan to master the little device.

·
SAF
10,614 Posts

How fine do you grind the beans? My brother cold brewed for years but used off the shelf coffee grounds.

·
Why so serious?
65,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How fine do you grind the beans? My brother cold brewed for years but used off the shelf coffee grounds.
Course grind (French Press grind or larger).

Course grind = easier filtering

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

·
SAF
10,614 Posts
Course grind (French Press grind or larger).

Course grind = easier filtering

Thanks. A coarse grind is what I would have defaulted to.

·
Why so serious?
65,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks. A coarse grind is what I would have defaulted to.
I let sit minimum of 8.5 hours, most often use 11 hrs, light roast coffee works best.

You end up with a concentrate, rehydrate using 1 part concentrate to 2 parts whatever (for example w parts water for regular coffee, or 1 part water 1 part chocolate milk).

If you like it Stout, 1:1.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts