GlockTalk Forum banner

141 - 160 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have one very simple rule.
There has to be some real and significant reason before I will pay someone to serve me something that I know I can do better and cheaper at home.

Hamburgers are very high on that list of things.
I think the last time I paid for one. was at a little Irish pub in downtown StLouis in 1984.
This^. I would rather cook at home because it can be done cheaper and I can make the food the way I want. If I eat out, it's usually at a bar when I am with friends. I think so many people not making home cooked meals, and relying too much upon fast food is why so many people in this country are overweight.

·
Custom Title Goes Here
1,480 Posts
Hmmm.

Out of curiosity, I looked them up on the interwebs. This is what I discovered:

- The one in my neck of the woods has gone out of business. I have no idea when? Could have been 9 years ago for as far as I know . . . not on a road that I travel very often.

- The name of the place is FIVE GUYS BURGERS and FRIES. Not 5 Guys.

- They also have hot dogs, grilled cheese and vegetable sandwiches?!?!?!
The hot dogs are pretty good, they split them down the middle lengthwise and grill (griddle) all sides so you get this crispy sausage instead of a mushy hot dog.

But still overpriced.

·
Registered
10,744 Posts
Five Guys is way over-rated. We get their burgers every now and then, and a few of the family members love them more than life. Not sure why. I can make a better burger -- by a mile -- on a cast iron skillet.

·
Scottish Member
11,460 Posts
.... serve me something that I know I can do better and cheaper at home. I think the last time I paid for one. was at a little Irish pub in downtown St Louis in 1984.
So you haven't purchased a hamburger in 36 years? Did you become a vegan, or do you eat consistently on someone else's dime (or at 5 Guys, someone else's J'Note)?

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
So you haven't purchased a hamburger in 36 years? Did you become a vegan, or do you eat consistently on someone else's dime (or at 5 Guys, someone else's J'Note)?
I have a kitchen.

As I already said. I am not paying someone to serve me something I am more than capable of doing myself and doing it better.

Now if you prefer to have some teenager cook your simple sandwich, then go right ahead.
Try not to make the minimum wage kid mad. He might alter the recipe while you aren't looking.

·
Rottweilers making America great again!
3,353 Posts
Went there with the wifey once. We agreed it was good (not great) but definitely overpriced. No wonder it wasn't crowded.

Reactions: rock_castle

·
Scottish Member
11,460 Posts
I have a kitchen.

As I already said. I am not paying someone to serve me something I am more than capable of doing myself and doing it better.

Now if you prefer to have some teenager cook your simple sandwich, then go right ahead.
Try not to make the minimum wage kid mad. He might alter the recipe while you aren't looking.
I have a kitchen as well, in fact, three (3) of them.

And yet, there are times when I am many, sometimes hundreds, of miles away from any of them. Some of these times I get hungry and order food at a restaurant. I can make a better steak, burger, salmon, pasta at home - and for much less cost - and yet I still find myself ordering a sandwich from Subway/Lenny's, or a steak at Ruth's Chris, or.....

So you are saying you haven't eaten at a restaurant in 30+ years?

Reactions: Rinspeed

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
I have a kitchen as well, in fact, three (3) of them.

And yet, there are times when I am many, sometimes hundreds, of miles away from any of them. Some of these times I get hungry and order food at a restaurant. I can make a better steak, burger, salmon, pasta at home - and for much less cost - and yet I still find myself ordering a sandwich from Subway/Lenny's, or a steak at Ruth's Chris, or.....

So you are saying you haven't eaten at a restaurant in 30+ years?
Me too, but my RV has a kitchen too.
I just have not been hungry enough to resort to fast food.

·
Registered
11,995 Posts
I am not criticizing 5 Guys.

My governor and the local health department have killed the restaurants in my area. And, we are going back to not having outdoor dining.

The merchants kicked up the prices because they cannot generate a volume of business to pay for much help AND the rent.

If you think I am unfair to the governor (he went to an illegal indoor restaurant with 50 other people including top officials in the California Medical Society (generating 750 k signatures on a recall petition), understand that in 2007, my county's preps for then then threatened flu was to exclude virus victims from hospitals and house the people in outdoor tents. It is reversed this time. Unless you are bleeding out or have the virus, you not be admitted to my hospital or my girlfriend's hospital. You are told this to your face by your doctors.

Wear a mask - you will still stand a chance of getting it before you ever receive a vaccine. 90% effective vaccine? By whose standard ? A made up figure. The annual flu vaccine is effective in the 30-60% range only because so many people get the annual shot and shutdown the potential host population .

·
Señor Member
8,996 Posts
I suspect that 5Guys, and many others, are trying to recover lost revenue from the shutdown earlier in the year. Gouging your customers that are willing to patronize your establishment again is not the way. We were in a Jersy Mikes last week and we noticed that prices seem to be a bit higher than they used to be. I suppose it's time to start eating at home more often.
Operations costs have gone up with having to deal with C19.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts

·
Private side
11,407 Posts
... For various reasons, prices are going to only be going up, ...
$15-hr min wage for fast food workers will make that little burger have a bigger price tag.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Yeah, well about a year ago, my Wife and I stopped at a burger joint in Issaquah WA., about 125 miles from where we live, XXX Burgers I think it's called. Big giant, about 20' feet tall, wooden (metal actually) Barrel on top with neon lights on it.
I used to stop at a place in Issaquah called Gulliver's Burgers, right on an I90 exit. Awesome burgers, fresh ingredients, and fries made in peanut oil or something that were fabulous. This was 25+ years ago. Man those were good.

·
Director of civil unrest
9,268 Posts
I used to stop at a place in Issaquah called Gulliver's Burgers, right on an I90 exit. Awesome burgers, fresh ingredients, and fries made in peanut oil or something that were fabulous. This was 25+ years ago. Man those were good.
We'll have to see if we can find it sometime.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
I would occasionally go to Five Guys if I came home and the wife did not make dinner. I have not been in a while, but it looks like the prices have not changed here. I would get a hamburger, cup of water, and small fries for about $10. The burgers are good, but nothing special. The peanuts had an off taste to me. The fries are very good.

View Estimated Prices IN YOUR STATE
Alabama
FOOD SIZE PRICE
Burgers
Hamburger $6.99
Cheeseburger $7.69
Bacon Burger $7.99
Bacon Cheeseburger $8.69
Little Hamburger $4.99
Little Cheeseburger $5.69
Little Bacon Burger $5.99
Little Bacon Cheeseburger $6.69
Hot Dogs
Hot Dog $4.69
Cheese Dog $5.39
Bacon Dog $5.69
Bacon Cheese Dog $6.39
Sandwiches
Veggie Sandwich $3.69
Veggie Sandwich with Cheese $4.39
Grilled Cheese $4.39
BLT $5.59
Fries
Five Guys Style or Cajun Style
Fries Little $3.09
Fries Regular $4.19
Fries Large $5.79
Cajun Fries Little $3.09
Cajun Fries Regular $4.19
Cajun Fries Large $5.79
Drinks
Coca Cola Products Regular $2.39
Coca Cola Products Large $2.69
Dasani Bottled Water $2.09

https://www.fastfoodmenuprices.com/five-guys-prices/

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
It was $15 to eat at the one in our small college town. Needless to say, I can't afford it so I won't be going back.

Their burgers are OK, but the seasoned fries are really good and you get a sack full of them. But not $15 worth. I'd say they'll soon be closing the doors here. Especially when you can go to Cookout next door and rupture a gut for $5.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
My wife and I have been customers of 5Guys for a long time. Good burgers, great fries. Recently we went there for lunch... a little burger, a little cheeseburger ("little" is their name for their smaller, junior burger), a regular fries (we share) and two regular soft drinks. The total came to right at $30. Seems like a lot for 2 small burgers, fries, and a couple of drinks. No more 5Guys for me. :crying:
That's a lot for some burgers and fries. I stay away from those chains and visit small restaurants. There's a joint called the Twisted Rail here in town, they have great cowboy burgers-1/3 patty with a fried onion ring, bacon, cheddar, and bbq sauce with fries for 8$. Before covid we'd get that and a beer inside, but get takeout now.

It's crazy all these idiots are backed up in a 30 car line at mcdonalds to get high priced garbage when you can get a real burger from a local business for cheaper than most of the value meals!

Honestly chain restaurants are garbage, I never go to them. I'm looking forward to more chain restaurants going out of business and locally owned small businesses being the norm. I know McDonalds and such places won't go for a long time if ever but a guy can dream.

141 - 160 of 169 Posts