GlockTalk Forum banner

121 - 140 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I went to 5G’s once. The burgers reminded me of old school burgers like we would get at the local drive in burger and custard joints growing up in Wisconsin, but greasier; but the prices certainly were not reminiscent.

The fries were soggy with grease and not quite done. I thought that for the same price, perhaps a little bit less even, I could have a much better burger at Smashburger. Certainly a less greasy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Scottish Member
11,454 Posts
They opened one in Midtown Memphis (Union Avenue). You couldn't get in the door for the first two weeks because of the crowd (You'd have thought it was a Chik-fil-a).

After a couple of weeks I walked right in, well sort of. The floor was so greasy, I almost busted my *ss walking in, then you couldn't stand without constantly shifting your feet because they were sliding.

I was the only one ordering, but it still took over five (5) minutes for someone to take my order - all while watching/listening to employees chatting. I had to repeat the order three (3) times to get it read back correctly. Not unexpectedly, when I received the order it was incorrect. But I figured that getting the order correct was "not going to be in the cards" that day.

Hamburger: Not as ordered, and a bit greasy. Fries: lukewarm, limp and greasy. Soda: It actually tasted like Diet Coke - so good there. Cost: Was a shocker.

So "all in all", expensive greasy lukewarm food, incorrectly prepared by employees unwilling, or unable, to provide even mediocre service in an unclean hazardous atmosphere. As you might have guessed, I've never been back.

And most of the other folks who crowded in the first couple of weeks apparently came to the same conclusion. The place is pretty much a "ghost town" now - but on the "up side" there is hardly a line (but there is a wait).

Reactions: Mr Meeseeks

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
well this thread did it for me, had to have a burger. went to the local place I am a fan of w/ the gal and kids. Got me a half pound bacon burger w/ the fixings and sweet potato fries for $13. Have not been since wutang flu hit and the weirdest of all things happened. they shortened their menu which I get. when I asked for my side of BBQ sauce I was told they have stopped carrying BBQ sauce completely. of all things to cut from the menu, they opted for a sauce. very strange.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
We had a few 5 Guys places here in Cinti, then they all went out of business. Now they are slowly coming back but they are more expensive than before. I’ll stick with a local place that serve Waygu burgers for the same price.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
IMO way overpriced and way too crowded with the clueless yoga pants wearing man bun types

Reactions: DAKA

·
Registered
12,408 Posts
I have one very simple rule.
There has to be some real and significant reason before I will pay someone to serve me something that I know I can do better and cheaper at home.

Hamburgers are very high on that list of things.
I think the last time I paid for one. was at a little Irish pub in downtown StLouis in 1984.

·
Why so serious?
65,038 Posts
They are good, but way overpriced.
I can do better at a couple real sit down places, and do so.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

Reactions: rock_castle

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Well, ya know, potatoes, bread and 80/20 are rather expensive ingredients. And then there's the five guys who are preparing it for you.

Maybe it'd be cheaper if it was two guys?

Reactions: DAKA and TBO

·
Director of civil unrest
9,236 Posts
My wife and I have been customers of 5Guys for a long time. Good burgers, great fries. Recently we went there for lunch... a little burger, a little cheeseburger ("little" is their name for their smaller, junior burger), a regular fries (we share) and two regular soft drinks. The total came to right at $30. Seems like a lot for 2 small burgers, fries, and a couple of drinks. No more 5Guys for me. :crying:
Yeah, well about a year ago, my Wife and I stopped at a burger joint in Issaquah WA., about 125 miles from where we live, XXX Burgers I think it's called. Big giant, about 20' feet tall, wooden (metal actually) Barrel on top with neon lights on it.
We'd been wanting to try them for years as we passed the place every time we went to I90 Motorsports, just down the street from it. Looked like a '50s drive in, all the cool stuff hanging around and all.
Anyway, we went there. BIG mistake! The Wife ordered what we wanted and it came to $57!! I gasped and she turned around and looked at me like WTF?
So I nodded and we had our lunch. They were the worst burgers we've ever had. Seriously, the worst!!
I left a scathing review on Yelp for them.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Welcome to the new normal. You guys are going to be shocked by food prices dining in and out.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Lunch now costs what dinner used to cost...

·
Registered
10,233 Posts
My wife and I have been customers of 5Guys for a long time. Good burgers, great fries. Recently we went there for lunch... a little burger, a little cheeseburger ("little" is their name for their smaller, junior burger), a regular fries (we share) and two regular soft drinks. The total came to right at $30. Seems like a lot for 2 small burgers, fries, and a couple of drinks. No more 5Guys for me. :crying:
One opened in our town about a year ago. Just got around to trying it out. Yes, pricey, but delicious! I’ll pay it.

It’s not as bad as Wahlburger though. Haven’t been there yet but there burgers on the menu are running $11 - $15. Better be a pretty ducking good burger for that price.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
The local Chili's does a real good bacon burger. You can get the two for twenty deal at lunch here. Drink, soup/salad/chips and salsa and the burger for twenty bucks plus tax and tip and you're back up to $26 or so tho.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have tried their food at a couple different locations. I thought it was pretty overrated. If I get a burger, there is a local bar in my area I stop into first. Probably like 1/2 lb burger (real beef no fillers), with fries and ketchup with a Spotted Cow on the side. Bar burgers imo are always better than the fast food ones. Otherwise I think Culvers' burgers are pretty tough to beat.

·
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
After Biden takes over, we'll be wishing for the old days when a burger was only $7.
After the green new deal is forced on us, we will be wishing for the old days when there was real meat in our burgers, and our veggie burger will still be $10.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
We had a 5 guys in Carson City. Unfortunately, it was about a block away from an In-N-Out burger. Died fairly quickly.

Burgers good, fries greasy.

121 - 140 of 169 Posts