5.7 vs. 10mm or P90 vs. Glock-29

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by davethehiker, Jul 3, 2016.

1. davethehiker

davethehiker

My son and his wife are visiting. My son brought his PS90 and his Five-Seven hand gun. They like to bring their weapons when they visit me because I have a pistol range on my property. I also have a chronograph and steel gongs and dueling trees.

There is a Eotech clone sight on the P90. It's fun to shoot because it's hard to miss. He also brought some "cop killer" Kevlar piercing high velocity rounds and some normal rounds.

We clocked the hot 5.7 rounds as fast as 2,588 fps fired from the PS90. The same rounds clocked in at 2088 when fired from his Five-Seven hand gun. My daughter-in-law brought her .45 and I was firing my 10mm Glock-29. We all traded and shot each others guns.

The thing that great about the PS90 is that it's so easy to hit what your aiming at. There is almost zero recoil and I can hit the target multiple times in a row as quick as I can pull the trigger.

I'm conflicted in my opinion of the weapon. Yes, my wife could use it as a home defense weapon. Because of the ease of firing it she could put multiple rounds at selected portions of a threat. My misgivings about the P90 are how the targets respond when struck. When I hit my big heavy steel gongs with 10mm they jump, spin, and ring. When I hit my dueling tree with the 10mm the paddles flip from side to side. Not, so with the 5.7 rounds. The targets would move but ever so slightly. Sparks could be seen where the 5.7 bullets hit the steel but the paddles did not flip from side to side like both my 10mm or my daughter-in-laws .45 made them do. I have a smaller dueling tree made for .22 weapons. The 5.7 rounds are capable of causing the smaller paddles on the smaller dueling tree flip from side to side.

I tend to think that the reaction of the steel targets is representative of the destructive, deterrent power of the rounds. I fear that a human target would not be stopped as effectively by the 5.7 rounds as would by the larger 10mm or .45 rounds. My son argues that it matters more if the target is struck than the energy in the bullet. He points out that with the P90 all the rounds could be fired into the face, While a missed round does no good at all. I'm not sure what to think?!?!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    kaisooba likes this.
  2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

5.7 ballistics are <roughly> the same as a .22 Magnum. Not the greatest, but I doubt anyone will volunteer to be shot.

nursetim, kaisooba, MO Fugga and 4 others like this.

3. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 L T G

Grain size (40gr)

kaisooba likes this.
  4. Danny Reid

Danny Reid

I would go with the G29. The 5.7 has a cool factor to it, but it's pretty much just a novelty.

kaisooba and vikingsoftpaw like this.
  5. as400guy1

as400guy1

Also have to look at ammunition availability. I would assume 10mm is more available than 5.7.

kaisooba likes this.
  6. davethehiker

davethehiker

True for the target rounds and hollow point but the hot rounds are only 27 gr.

kaisooba and LASTRESORT20 like this.
  7. davethehiker

davethehiker

I'm really comparing apple to oranges. The PS90 is a rifle and that's part of what makes it so easy to shoot. Also I can hide my Glock-29 in my waistband. It's much harder to hide the PS90 or deploy it.

By definition you guys are brilliant, because you have confirmed what I already believed.

nursetim and kaisooba like this.
  8. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 L T G

Even worse....

Compared to "Hot" 10mm 155....180....and 200 Gr rounds....which can make those Metal thingy`s move...:)

9. Bruce M

Bruce M

I certainly can not fault that logic. I don't care how big/fast the bullet is, it does not do much of anything intended if it does not hit the target.

kaisooba, Macc283 and janice6 like this.
  10. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

I can understand the utility factor of owning a P90, an AR-with a 5.7 upper and a FN 5.7mm pistol, all using the same ammo. It's not something I'd pursue, I'd go for lever actions and heavy revolver cartridges.

The .223 will take care of the rifle end better, as well as the .45 in a handgun.

kaisooba likes this.
  11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

First of all, the hot 5.7mm ammo is nearly impossible to get.

Secondly, that PS90 magazine is a bear to load.

If the old lady can handle the bulk of the PS90 then she can handle the bulk of an AR. At least the AR would not be firing a neutered round.

kaisooba, MinervaDoe and TBO like this.
  12. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

As far as practicality, the G29 makes far more sense. I CCW my G29sf every day and the chances of someone CCW the PS90 or five-seven are nil. So the argument is invalid.

For HD, they would be fine but I'll stick with the M4 and XM193's as they are far more effective rounds than the 5.7's.

Don't get me wrong, they are both fine weapons. For me however, they would simply be just range toys.

kaisooba and davethehiker like this.
  13. Blades

Blades

What about a 10mm rifle?

kaisooba likes this.
  14. wizzi01

wizzi01

kaisooba likes this.
  15. davethehiker

davethehiker

kaisooba and LASTRESORT20 like this.
  16. JMag

JMag

Just get a 7.5 FK Field Pistol by BRNO and be done with it.

----------------------
    The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.--Sir Winston Churchill

kaisooba likes this.
  17. wizzi01

wizzi01

You think that will be available in the US with full power ammo? It is rated to defeat Class IIIA armor at 100 meters.

I got that information from http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/03/14/7-5-fk-field-pistol-from-brno-defense/

kaisooba likes this.
  18. JMag

JMag

I have my doubts, and that it would cost less than $5k.

However, I saw the ad in Guns & Ammo this weekend.

www.fkbrno.com

----------------------
    The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.--Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    kaisooba likes this.
  19. Randylahey53

Randylahey53

Just pointing it out but I don't come across a whole lot of people who purchase five sevens and don't love them. By "come across" I readily admit that refers to Internet forums, but the fact you can almost never find one used tends to support that. It's the one gun I've shot that makes me dream of owning one.

I do believe the 5.7 round can be potent, but I'm not sure I'd throw it into the same argument as a hot 10mm load and I'm not even into 10mm that much. You're really comparing apples to Chevys but a case can be made for either.

kaisooba, mj9mm and LASTRESORT20 like this.
  20. wizzi01

wizzi01

My buddy has had a 5.7 for quite a while. It is a fun gun to shoot. Also, it seems like 5.7 ammo has been going down in price and he just bought a PS90 because of that.

kaisooba likes this.