GlockTalk Forum banner

141 - 160 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
14,152 Posts
I have an AR in 7.62X39 and am shooting it quite a bit lately also. And, two in 350Legend. Just got about 600 more rounds of 145gr Winchester FMJ in two weeks ago. At the old prices even.
I have really liked my KS47. It’s softer shooting than my AKs, just as reliable and it’s as accurate as any of my AR15’s shooting cheap FMJ 55g plinking ammo.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Use brakes alot - .308 to a 20" .375 burning 80+ grains of slow-burning powder. Do warn folks at the range. If any. Cuz am usually a lone, retired weekday shooter.

But my stuff isn't in the same galaxy with a Barrett 82CQ from an adjacent line position. Makes you want to sit in the truck 50 yds away wearing plugs and muffs.

·
10mm Philosopher
6,082 Posts
.308/7.62 is a Boomer thang ---------> :nsb:

Millen-Gen slackers can have their cool wuddle 5.56 poodle shooters. :aodnsb:

:animlol:

:rofl:

·
Anti-Federalist
17,763 Posts
.308/7.62 is a Boomer thang.

Millen-Gen slackers can have their cool wuddle 5.56 poodle shooters. :aodnsb:

In my opinion it's not stopping power for rifles but stopping power for armor. .308/7.62 hasn't been king of the hill since Level 3 plates. There are more common, viable rounds that need better armor to defeat.

Much like Boomers, you aren't in charge anymore and that's just reality.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I don't get the arguments. No doubt 308 is a more effective cartridge than 556. So if that's the argument why not just jump to 50 cal and skip that wimpy 308? For shooting inside a house in a typical residential neighborhood, 556 is scary enough as far as noise and penetration. You'd better have a good lawyer if you shoot 308 because after the bullet goes through the burglar (assuming you hit him) you have no way of knowing where it is going to end up. The way houses are built these days, 308 can go through lots of walls, including exterior ones.
The best compromise to me is 300BO. Large heavy bullets and easily suppressed. And even then, over penetration is a concern.

·
Registered
27 Posts
In my opinion it's not stopping power for rifles but stopping power for armor. .308/7.62 hasn't been king of the hill since Level 3 plates. There are more common, viable rounds that need better armor to defeat.

Much like Boomers, you aren't in charge anymore and that's just reality.
Very interesting comment about armor. I was just sitting here thinking about the same.
In my situation, it is just possible, not likely though, that I could face Level 3 or better than. Range would be, say 0-150 yards max for me. Probably shorter than a 150yd.
I have various AR 15 rifles in 5.56 and some good surplus stuff in 55gr and the 62gr Green Tip. Two 350 Legend AR's with 145gr FMJ and 180gr SP ammo.

My question in mind is this! Will either defeat body armor at these distances?

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Doesn't using heavy bullets effectively turn your rifle into a single-shot gun due to the fact that the heaviest weight 223/5.56 bullets are too long for the magazine? A former competition shooter I know told me that, and I confirmed it by finding references.
Yes and no

The heaviest, like 80 and 90 grain won't fit into most mags. Those are used past 600 yards, out to 1,000 yards, which is more than a half mile. The rules for those competitions are single loading, so correct, you're not feeding those up and out of a mag

For out to 600 yards I and many use 75 or 77 grain bullets, and those feed without issue through a mag. Still have to single load thou. However, at 200 and 300 yards 75/77 are mag feed

The AR can be crazy accurate at long distance with heavier bullets and a matching 1:7/1:8 twist

It's like many think the round only comes in 55 grain and is accurate only out to 300ish yards

·
I feel pretty.
3,086 Posts
I can't tell if I hit a steel plate at the range with 556. I minus well just aim for the dirt berm.

308 gives instant feedback that I can see. No more SPR builds for me, unless it's 6.5 Creedmur or better. And I'm switching back to 14.5" for 3 gun.

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,038 Posts
As I have always said...... for fun, BOTH.

For practical:
You are not in the military. If you decide to go head to head against a military, you will lose. Terrorist tactics, hit and run, IEDs, ....you can delay and mess with them. IF an army does this enough they can make it politically a problem.

I have been through a lot of SHTFs. Very VERY seldom to you need to shoot people. FERFAL said that he had a rifle, but it was pretty well useless. It isn't like you will carry it everywhere with you. You can't shoot people at long distances (legal issues).

So most of the time, your gun (any gun) will be carried and not shot. .

·
Registered
204 Posts
I‘ve owned AR10Ts, AR10 carbines, and DD5v1. They were all work guns and I have since sold them all. I just have no need for them as a civilian, and I made enough on the DD to buy one hell of a nice Les Paul I play with way more than I ever did the DD. My semi-auto long gun needs are now met with a Colt 6920 with 1-6 Trij on it. 75 grain gold dots and you’re good to go from 0-500 for anything that carbine was ever designed to do. Further if you really want to, but I have bolt guns for that sort of thing.

I’m not worried at all about the apocalypse or fighting off hordes of Antifa/militia/insert horde of doom here type things. That’s just not gonna happen. But I do like shooting it, it’s good for HD, small critter hunting, and for fun!

So, I guess to answer the original question, no, I don’t regret having “only” 5.56 now after having had both for many years.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
5.56 ammo was so cheap back then. The cheapness got me. The AR-10's were cheap as well back then. Now .308 AR's are pricey...if you can even find one.

After all this dem crap happening I wish I had concentrated more on .308.
I have a couple dozen AR15's, and an Aero Precision M5 in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm well stocked on 5.56 ammo, and I have a decent supply of 6.5CM. I wanted a 6.5CM because its a superior round to .308, and now I'm even more glad I chose it.

·
Pharaoh
34,535 Posts
As I have always said...... for fun, BOTH.

For practical:
You are not in the military. If you decide to go head to head against a military, you will lose. Terrorist tactics, hit and run, IEDs, ....you can delay and mess with them. IF an army does this enough they can make it politically a problem.

I have been through a lot of SHTFs. Very VERY seldom to you need to shoot people. FERFAL said that he had a rifle, but it was pretty well useless. It isn't like you will carry it everywhere with you. You can't shoot people at long distances (legal issues).

So most of the time, your gun (any gun) will be carried and not shot. .
I think if I were to predict where we may be headed is more like Ireland during The Troubles.

Two sides with deep opposition to each other, living in the same country.

One side will be protected by the military and police (and also use this to fuel their own terrorism.. the loyalists did their share of terrorism) the other will try and hit the other side using terrorist tactics and guerrilla warfare. It will go on for a while until two sides get tired of the bloodshed. If a scenario like the troubles happens in USA military and police might actually switch sides over time or in different geographical locations.

OK. So the scenario I am describing is modern day mexico. Maybe that is where we are headed?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I started with .308 many years ago when I was buying 7.62 at $165.00 per 1,000 rounds delivered. Shot many cases through my M1A. Sold the rifle with a case of ammo after the ammo cost went through the roof. I like shooting 556 much better. I have enough ammo for my lifetime.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Back when they were more affordable, I picked up a Loaded M1A. AR 10's weren't even out back then, and since I have had no desire to get an AR10. Nothing against them, just don't any desire to get one. Just put it into an Archangel stock and a Bushnell 6x24 Nitro scope.
M1A.jpg

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
In a semi-auto center fire I'm good with our two matching 223 wylde chambered home assembled AR15's . I have a bolt rifle very capable of moa for longer shots where a heavier bullets needed and a 7mm rem mag custom build thats far closer to a F-Open class rifle but it's still my long range hunter . Have no interest in a AR10 .

·
Registered
304 Posts
I recently divested myself of my AR-10. I should not have and regret it. The reason is that for fighting, 7.62x51mm is a better cartridge FOR THE SINGLE INDIVIDUAL. Yes, 5.56x45 is very easy and fast to shoot! Agreed...it's no contest. But, if you're doing defense/SHTF/boogie, 7.62x51mm has more capability, assuming an 18"+ long barrel. I chose 5.56x45mm and am stuck with it for now. But, I will be going back with a modern AR platform rifle it at all possible.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not at all. 30 cals are great rounds for certain applications but home defense and SHTF really isn't one of them.
WTH???? "SHTF" means a disaster and hunting enters the equation. 308/7.62 will take any deer in the country. You get longer ranges and 25 round mags are good enough.

141 - 160 of 185 Posts