GlockTalk Forum banner

121 - 140 of 181 Posts

·
real dogs
1,939 Posts
Doesn't using heavy bullets effectively turn your rifle into a single-shot gun due to the fact that the heaviest weight 223/5.56 bullets are too long for the magazine? A former competition shooter I know told me that, and I confirmed it by finding references.
It depends upon COL. DEep seating for speced2.26"COL allows magazine function and repeating, however powder capacit is reduced as is velocity.y

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)
First you want to talk about 500 yard shots, now you’re talking inside the house?

It sounds like you’ve made up your mind on 308, which is fine, but making up a bunch of stuff to justify your position isn’t required.

I like 308 for power, mid range reach, armor penetration, car penetration, and penetration in general.

For house I use a 9mm. Although also have a 12 GA pump and a 556 loaded but not chambered.

Used to have (8) 38's all over. That was pre-Biden / pre-dem mayhem days. Now have (6) 9mm's with laser sights and ready to do. And a few .38 snubs in the bathrooms held up with magnets on the wall cabinet. Never more than a few feet away from a gun. (Even take one in the sauna in my robe pocket.)

Didn't know what to do with the large frame revolvers, so keep them along side the 9mm. Biden's new world order showed us that 5 or 6 shots won't do much against a mob of filthy dems.

Now if Biden would get in and ban semi-auto I'm at least set with wheel guns. (And even if the filthy dems push through their earlier proposal of banning guns that hold more than 5 rounds I got lotsa snubs! )

Trump era home defense left - Biden era home defense right.jpg

I started the 308 thread after watching a tape, I think by Jim Cirillo, where he showed the penetration comparison of 556 to 308. Amazing. The 308 went through cinder blocks, 556 did not. Also the price rise of 556 ammo. I thought might as well have gone 308 for most of my AR's than 556 since the cost is so high for 556 now.

I see lotsa talk about urban snipers. I looked at my guns and nothing really good for long distance. All I had was 556's. I had sold off all my HK 308's decades ago. (That was a big mistake just for the $$ end of it.)

So when I wanted to get back into 308, the boogalu shortages of guns and ammo stopped that notion in its tracks. But after a few months I was able to pick up a .308 Wilson Combat Recon and 1200 rounds of 308 / ST and FMJ mixed.

I'm not into sniping, but at least I now have the option for a few hundred yard reach out with some punch and not have to just rely on a souped up 22.

For my trunk gun I use a 556 AR pistol. No shoulder brace, just plain SIG P556 w / suppressor. Or a Keltec 556 / suppressor. In the car I use a Glock 19 with 24 round mag and some extra mags.

sigP556.jpg

·
Can't type, don't spell, what's grammar.
1,751 Posts
Well this thread derailed as expected. A simple question for 556’ers turns into another caliber pissing contest, surprise lol.

Yes the 308 is a fine round and will likely serve you well.
So if you want one get one, if you’ve got one enjoy, if you don’t give a **** either way, great.
I’ve owned a few and hand loaded for it at one time so guess I was already into it at one time, just not now.
Am I sorry I’m not sitting on 20k rounds? Sure, because I’d make a fortune selling most of it right now.
But honestly I’m not sad without a tactical 308 auto loader in the safe. That said I’d have no issue picking up a Browning BAR in 308 if I wanted an auto loader in the caliber.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Deleted.

·
AAAMAD
30,411 Posts
I like 308 for power, mid range reach, armor penetration, car penetration, and penetration in general.

For house I use a 9mm. Although have a pump and a 556 loaded but not chambered.

Used to have (8) 38's all over. That was pre-Biden / pre-dem mayhem days. Now have (6) 9mm's with laser sights and ready to do.

Didn't know what to do with the revolvers, so keep them along side the 9mm. Biden's new world order showed us that 5 or 6 shots won't do much against a mob of filthy dems.

View attachment 856316

I started the thread after watching a tape, I think by Jim Cirillo, where he showed the penetration comparison of 556 to 308. Amazing. The 308 went through cinder blocks, 556 did not. Also the price rise of 556 ammo. I thought might as well have gone 308 for most of my AR's than 556 since the cost is so high for 556 now.

I see lotsa talk about urban snipers. I looked at my guns and nothing really good for long distance. I had sold off all my HK 308's decades ago. (That was a big mistake just for the $$ end of it.) So when I wanted to get back into 308, the boogalu shortages of guns and ammo stopped that notion in its tracks. But after a few months I was able to pick up a .308 Wilson Combat Recon and 1200 rounds of 308 / ST and FMJ mixed.

I'm not into sniping, but at least I now have that option now for a few hundred yards reach out with some punch and not have to just rely on a souped up 22.

For my trunk gun I use a 556 AR pistol. No shoulder brace, just plain SIG P556 w / suppressor. Or a Keltec 556 / suppressor.

View attachment 856324

What is this fascination with shooting through cinderblocks?

If you’re involved in some kind of long range gunfight as a civilian by myself, I can’t see firing the limited number of rounds I’m likely to have at this cinderblock wall the bad guy is hiding behind blindly, instead of waiting for him to expose himself so I can put a round on target.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Yeah thread derailment was expected I guess it was more about price and availability than pure effectiveness and such.

Honestly for the latter, I'm much more likely to have a Rem 700 in .30-06, or a Winny 94 in .30-30 on hand.
The others are range toys and don't go out on missions much.

·
AAAMAD
30,411 Posts
Ok, I'm may be talking past my education here but here it goes. A bullet gets its energy from how much powder is burned before it leaves the barrel. The bullet delivers the energy to the target through a combination of mass and speed. A 308 starts out with about twice the energy as a 556. So the 308 delivers a lot more energy to the target but the level 4 armor plate absorbs the energy before it can get to the intended target.
Seeing that most people I encounter will not be wearing level 4 armor that isn't a real problem for me. Next is delivering the energy to the target. A 308 has about twice the energy of 556 so it may just pass through the target. Still if it dumps half its energy I to the target it still has done more than 556 that dumps all its energy into the target because the target now has 2 holes.
You are.

You are equating energy with lethality. But the problem is energy is simply a measure of how much work the bullet can do, it’s not a killing force on its own.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Reactions: evlbruce

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have never had a 5.56 and haven't because I don't know which one to buy. Once the election is over, and Trump wins, things will loosen up and I will purchase one. But, still won't know what to buy.
lbm

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
You are.

You are equating energy with lethality. But the problem is energy is simply a measure of how much work the bullet can do, it’s not a killing force on its own.
Didn't mean to post that I was just writing down some thoughts in my head and accidentally hit the post reply button.
But since we are here the bullet has to have the energy before it can do the work. Just like that cinderblock wall you mentioned earlier. Being able to shot through it means nothing unless someone is on the other side shooting at you. Then it means a lot and 308 will go through more cover and still have enough energy to do the work as as you say than a 556 can.

Reactions: AK_Stick

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
You are.
Just want you to know I like getting into a heavy discussion some times but I don't take it personally and I don't think you do either. It's time for me to pull out of this one and let you guys have it.

·
AAAMAD
30,411 Posts
Just want you to know I like getting into a heavy discussion some times but I don't take it personally and I don't think you do either. It's time for me to pull out of this one and let you guys have it.

Did not take your posts to be hostile at all, nothing wrong with a good discussion. Take care.

·
Registered
8,683 Posts
Good reading...

If Uncle Sam had ever "specified" their "mil-spec" req'ts in 7,62NATO Armalite/Stoner blasters, it might have made a difference in big bore AR sales, but as we all know, a moot point, they did not.

So it is you got options in that regard.

.260 Rem is the obvious solution to that non existent problem anyway isn't it? (Or 6.5Crm) For us non .gov types? Or if you were a Cooper fan maybe a Scout bolt action concept for one size fitting all... (I'm generalizing)

Basically you can AR your way from prairie dogs to big bears. (Who made the AR in .30-06? Noreen or Cobb IIRC?) What's not to like? Small light fast or big heavy not quite as fast.

Point to ponder: Can you get parts or spare mags easily? Ammo too one suspects as of late.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
5.56 ammo was so cheap back then. The cheapness got me. The AR-10's were cheap as well back then. Now .308 AR's are pricey...if you can even find one.

After all this dem crap happening I wish I had concentrated more on .308.
Nope, got rid of my .308, didn't care for it. Very happy with my ARs. I don't choose my weapons based on ammo price

·
Pharaoh
34,478 Posts
This is all silly.

Uncle Joe has told you how to stop anyone.

Shotgun with bird shot to the foot.

How many people wear Level IV armor on their feet? Or armor at all?

And some people think Uncle Joe is crazy, but he has identified where people don't wear armor....

But really, if we are talking home defense, many people would be served well with PCC. The odds of someone stealing your TV wearing Level IV armor is pretty low.

If you are worried about hoards of home invaders wearing armor coming to your house, maybe a profession that is not Undocumented Pharmacist is a wiser choice?

·
Señor Member
8,667 Posts
I've found that the older I get the more I appreciate muzzle brakes on .30 caliber full powered rifles. Yes, it's loud as hell, but I'm wearing double ear protections anyway.
I’d love it if you let me know you’re shooting that the moment you pick the bench next to me, instead of letting me find out with a blast to the face at the shot.

121 - 140 of 181 Posts