Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I recently came into a large property from which I will be using to hunt wild pigs on. A lot of stretches are impossible to go through with a 4-wheeler so I tend to walk the property. I have a 20" AR, an 11.5" AR pistol and a 5" doublestack 10mm 1911.
I was wondering what you guys would rather carry if you came across an angry boar and why. The previous owner made a point to also inform me that the coyotes in the area are very aggressive and travel in large packs, I would like input on that as well, thank you.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Now I really like my Glock 29sf 10mm... I now carry it more than any other Glock I own. And yea, I'd love to bump off a hog or two with it.

But you see hogs are not playfully little piggies and I think an AR is a better tool to knock them off with. Yea I'll pack a pistol while hunting them just cause I prefer one with me, but wise people take a rifle to hunt them. Like an AR-15 with a good bullet that will not shatter or go shallow.

·
23,403 Posts
Hello all, I recently came into a large property from which I will be using to hunt wild pigs on. A lot of stretches are impossible to go through with a 4-wheeler so I tend to walk the property. I have a 20" AR, an 11.5" AR pistol and a 5" doublestack 10mm 1911.
I was wondering what you guys would rather carry if you came across an angry boar and why. The previous owner made a point to also inform me that the coyotes in the area are very aggressive and travel in large packs, I would like input on that as well, thank you.
I can get my G20sf loaded with Underwood 220 grain hardcast out of teh holster and on target a lot faster than I can get an AR chamberd in an even better caliber than 5.56 that's slung oveer my shoulder on to the target any day of the week.

I don't know how you'd carry an 11.5 inch AR Pistol, but I'd be willing to bet it would be slower out of the holster and slower to get on target than the 4.6 inch Glock 20 due to the greater length, bulk, weight, and less friendly ergonomics and pointability. and I prefer the Glock 20 to the Glock 40 for the same reasons. A Glock 21 firing 45 super would also be an acceptable alternative to the 10mm.

And if I were forced to carry an AR, I'd chose 6.5 Grendel or maybe even 350 legend over 5.56

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
Get a TNW ASP/ASR or stick a Glock 20/40 in a Recover tactical brace if going 10m

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
If the hogs are on the large side, I would rather have a rifle in a deer caliber: 30/30, .308, 270, 30.06
A lever action in 44 magnum or 12 gauge with slugs should be good. Hunters often shoot them in the head. That may not be possible if you encounter one, so I would want a more powerful round for penetration.

"When rifle hunting for hogs, the two most effective shot placements are behind the ear and broadside, through both front shoulders. Confident hog hunters accurately shooting well within their comfort zone might consider sending a well-placed round directly into the recessed spot behind a hog’s ear. This shot stops any pig in its tracks and blood tracking is a non-issue.

The second shot, a broadside opportunity, generally results breaking both shoulders and destroying either the heart or lungs. Broken shoulders obviously make a dead run tough at best. If the pig runs at all, it may bulldoze a short distance then expire, making tracking a cinch. Seasoned hog hunters often quip, “Pin the shoulders together and they won’t go far."

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can get my G20sf loaded with Underwood 220 grain hardcast out of teh holster and on target a lot faster than I can get an AR chamberd in an even better caliber than 5.56 that's slung oveer my shoulder on to the target any day of the week.

I don't know how you'd carry an 11.5 inch AR Pistol, but I'd be willing to bet it would be slower out of the holster and slower to get on target than the 4.6 inch Glock 20 due to the greater length, bulk, weight, and less friendly ergonomics and pointability. and I prefer the Glock 20 to the Glock 40 for the same reasons. A Glock 21 firing 45 super would also be an acceptable alternative to the 10mm.

And if I were forced to carry an AR, I'd chose 6.5 Grendel or maybe even 350 legend over 5.56
With ammo availability being a factor I may go with .300blk in a pistol, believe it or not it's readily available in my area and cheaper than 6.5G or .350. Plenty of Barnes TSX supers on the shelf, I also have a 16" .450 bushmaster barrel sitting but in some of those tight corners you would have trouble shouldering the rifle, that's why I brought up my 10mm.

·
Registered
26,152 Posts

How to carry 11.5” AR? Single or 2pt sling…

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’d roll with G40 or G20. G29 I have too. But I’d be sporting the G40 in that arena
I was thinking the 10mm penetrate deeper but the 5.56 has more energy behind it. Both calibers will pass through a hog with a good shot, I've seen several taken with a 16" 5.56 broadside but I was worried about getting too close for comfort with one;

Years ago i spooked a large boar and all I had on me was a G43 loaded with HSTs. It worked (barely) but all I had left was 1 in the mag and one in the chamber by the end, it got within 12" of me with all rounds connecting.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts