5.56 / 223 Loose primer pockets?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Glock21sf-miami, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

Fellow GTers,

So I have loaded around 400 rounds so far and all of them have fired without any problems. My loads seem to be very accurate too so I'm happy. However, I don't have a swager or swaging die so I have been reaming primer pockets. I think I overdid it this time because the last 50 rounds I loaded mostly offered little to no resistance at all when priming. I had to check if a primer actually had gone in a bunch of times because I did not feel a lot of them.
    I know the case acts as a gasket but I would like to ask if there are any issues I should be concerned with when the primers are not tightly seated. I am using 24.6 grs of H335 pushing a 55 gr FMJ and I am using Winchester #41 primers. I am loading for two ARs.
    I have noticed that the #41 primers are thinner than the BR4s. The BR4s are generally harder to seat (or you feel a bit more resistance when they go in). Anyway, should I be concerned about this?? I don't think they are loose enough to fall out of the rounds inside the magazine when cycling... I am asking about issues when firing.

2. doktarZues

doktarZues

What kind of brass?

I have plenty of 223 brass so when I feel that primer go in without resistance I just flick it into the recycle bucket. I can tell you that’s not ideal, not sure about the safety aspect? At minimum you run the risk of the primer popping out and causing failures.

3. Taterhead

Taterhead

Zues asked a good question about type of brass.

When I notice primers falling in, I also set them aside. When I notice pockets "getting there", I mark them with a sharpie to indicate "one last time".

There is the risk that in an AR the primer can become dislodged and lost in the action when the case is in the process of ejecting.

4. jmorris

jmorris

Post load tumble them to knock off the lube. If the primer stays in, they are good to go.

5. Samuel_Hoggson

Samuel_Hoggson

If I don't get the desired feel, it's culled.

I sometimes depth-uniform .308, but never ream pocket diameter. Swage seems a better idea, really just to de-crimp.

fredj338 likes this.
  6. SmokelessPowder

SmokelessPowder Consummate Reloader

At matches I've seen primers come out and drop into the trigger area and jam it so that it can't be fired. You really don't want that.

I'm not sure what you mean by reaming the primer pocket. Often you can just use a case chamfer tool to open up the pocket a little to get primers to seat.

7. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

Quoted for truth.

George Kaplan likes this.
  8. collim1

collim1

The Dillon swaging tool is worth the money. It removes the crimp and reforms the pocket without removing material. I have yet to have any problems with primer pockets, even after several reloads, since I started using the Dillon tool.

BigBull 301 and George Kaplan like this.
  9. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

Thanks for your input guys. I did order the Dillon super swage 600 tool and I guess I will toss the loose batch tomorrow at the range... Hope I don't get any malfunctions...

10. Gpruitt54

Gpruitt54

I hate prepping rifle brass. I would welcome anything that can shorten the process. What are you using to ream out the military primer pockets?

11. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

Dillon 1050/1100.

It is the easy solution, but also an expensive one.

fredj338 likes this.
  12. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

I've been using a small primer pocket reamer attached to the top thread of the Hornady case prep trio. It was very inconsistent even though it did the job. It was a chore... i just got the Dillon Super Swage 600 and I'm trying that out. So far, it seems to shorten the process quite a bit even though I think I need some adjustments...

13. Gpruitt54

Gpruitt54

I use an XL-650. I cannot manage buying a 1050. There are a couple of swaging options that attach to the 650. I've been considering one of them.

14. Gpruitt54

Gpruitt54

I have a tabletop milling machine. I attach a reamer to the mill and run if at a slower speed. I use heavy textured rubber gloves for no other reason than to gain a good grip on the cases as I push them into the reamer cutting bit. This process works. But, it is hard on the hands.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  15. collim1

collim1

How are you priming?

I prime on my press which can feel loose at times, but I have to remind myself that the press generates a ton of leverage and it probably isn’t going on with as little resistance as it feels.

Gpruitt54 likes this.
  16. Gpruitt54

Gpruitt54

Good point. How many pounds of pressure does the Dillon (550, 650, 1050) press exert?

17. collim1

collim1

No idea.

I use a Lee Classic Turret and a Lee Classic Cast. The Lee single stage is an absolute beast. It resizes the cluster**** that is .30-06 cases after being fired from an M1 Garand with ease.

M1 Garand cases destroyed a cheaper press i was using in short order during resizing.

If I need to judge my primer pocket tightness I prime a few with a Lee hand primer. That will let you know instantly if they are too tight or too loose.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  18. Gpruitt54

Gpruitt54

I had a Lee Classic Turret. It was the best of the two Lee presses I've owned. I wish I had kept it.

19. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

No idea how many lbs of force, but the 1050 pinches the case between 2 rods to do the work where the 550/650/750 just push a swage rod up. I know they work, but they were never designed to swage primer pockets.

20. mikemyr

mikemyr

Im at about the 1500 round count for reloading 556/223 and Im just hitting this now for the first time on my last 15 cases I had to prime. I had two go in almost two easy, and they sat slightly deeper than the others. I have seen people mention nail polish to seal primers around the edges (on FB reloading pages) do y'all have any experience/insight to this?

Ill probably just deprime and chuck the cases to prevent any real issues. But just out of curiosity.