5/3/1 q?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by California Jack, Dec 31, 2009.

1. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Does Wendler give any advice on how to prepare for a true 1 rm test or PR attempt?

I think I will do the full cycle of 5-3-1 and than do the deload week. After the deload I will attempt a PR attempt.

My other thought is to work up to a PR attempt onthe 1 rep part of the cycle intstead of trying fo 1+.

Any thoughts?

2. BradD

BradD

From Page 70:

Q: Do you ever take a true one rep max?

A: You can do it whenever you want, but I'd recommend waiting at least 3 or 4 cycles to test it again. Never give up a training day to take a 1RM. Simply do the workout first, but don't go for max reps on the last set. From there, try for a new max.

Seems reasonable to me--the first two worksets are really relatively heavy warmup sets and about what I'd probably do on the way to maxing anyway.

3. California Jack

4. California Jack

Hey Brad, does Wendler have any discussion about contest prep?

5. BradD

BradD

6. California Jack

7. California Jack

Anyone, what am I suppossed to do with accessory lifts during deload week?

8. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

FAQ in the book says to cut back on everything during deload, including accessory lifts. He doesn't say how, though. Maybe cut the accessory sets in half during your deload week?

9. California Jack

Thanks Eye. I have been cutting the volume in half by cutting reps or sets. I'll do one or the other next week.

10. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Question:

I was thinking about skipping the deload week for this first cycle, and going right into a second cycle. Does Wendler say anything about this? What do you guys think? Another alternative is possibly just skipping one strength day to get more rest, or possibly do what BradD just did and all four lifts on one day.

11. BradD

BradD

Sorry, I'm not a lot of help here. My only idea is what's in the book. That's to do the deload unless you're on a 1/week or 2/week schedule in which case the deload is done only if the trainee really feels the need.

I was feeling pretty beat up after the 2nd cycle, so went ahead with the deload. I think I'm mostly feeling beat up due to my workload and stress which have went through the roof over the last 3 weeks.

It would've been a monumental waste of time to go to the gym to do 6 light sets combined of BP+BS one day and press + deadlift another day, so I took the liberty of putting them all in one workout that took about an hour. That wasn't in the book.

12. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Thanks Brad. I'll see how I feel at the end of the 3rd week, and gauge from there.

13. BradD

BradD

Are you on 2/week or >2?

Also, remember the one over-riding theme of 5/3/1 is conservatism and extremely long, drawn-out series of tiny gains.

14. BradD

BradD

15. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

I'm doing 3 days a week, 2 lifts per day. I'll definitely keep it in mind to not over-do it right from the shoot.

16. BradD

BradD

[​IMG]
    Jim's yoke would not approve of skipping the deload. As ES typed one day, the gravitational field from his traps has been known to crush those who change the program.

:rofl:

This brings up something that I was thinking last night when I was re-reading the 5/3/1 manual. Wendler's approach seems to be the exact opposite of Rip's. Rip's idea is to get as strong as possible in as fast of a timeframe as is possible. Stay with the linear progression, eat 8000 calories / day, etc. during the novice phase. Then do the TM after that and it seems to be a lot more aggressive than 5/3/1. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the TM.) Wendler says that he's used 5/3/1 for beginners also and that it's a good thing if one can drag out the process as long as humanly possible. The increment from cycle to cycle is already small, but Wendler even seems to like what's basically micro-loading from cycle to cycle--now that's slow!! His attitude is that lifing is a life-long pursuit, so there's no hurry. 5/3/1 is about as anti-aggressiveness as a program can get.

I don't know which one of them is more correct. Perhaps it depends on the lifter. I think it's interesting that they seem to have such different ideas. Rip is much older and has more experience. However, he's also a very intense and stubborn kind of guy which might also be part of the reason that he's hurt everything that can be hurt on a human body. I'm Rip in training at this point in that regard only, LOL.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  17. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor Khem-Adam

Where are you guys buying 5-3-1? I found something on EliteFTS but it says that it will "ship via electronic download" after paying, so I'm guessing that you have to either read it off the computer or print it out. I'd much rather have an actual book, but I haven't been able to find one. Is there a book of 5-3-1?

I'm planning on starting 5-3-1 after my next 6 week cycle and hopefully doing the 4 day per week set-up. I've got time to find it but I'd rather get it now and make sure I'm understand the system 100% before I start.

I started with the Rip style of adding as much as possible as fast as possible. At first it went well but then I over did it and started getting the small nagging injuries and my performance was like a roller coaster, up and down constantly. Then I hurt my shoulder and basically started over from scratch and have begun working my way back up. I am now doing longer cycles of each weight and adding smaller increments and it's going really well. I did the Rip style when I was in my teens and twenties, but now days my body doesn't respond as well.

I'm sure both systems work well for some people, but regardless of the results...............

.......... if he's around I'm doing whatever he tells me to do. :shocked:

18. California Jack

I would pefer a book too. I gather sometimes it is available. You don't really need it. You can pick up enough about online to get the gist of it.

19. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

As far as I know it's only available as an e-book. CJ's right in that you can pick up enough online about it (like here) to make the book mostly irrelevant, though.

The rest is just good recordkeeping to make sure you know what you're supposed to be lifting on a given day.

I think Rip's program is absolutely the best for novice trainees that are willing to follow the program to the letter, including eating everything too slow or dumb to get away from you. You can get really strong with this program if you do what he says to do.

When you run out of track on the novice programs, here's a good page about the Texas Method, it explains things really well.

5/3/1's very slow and conservative. I like that about it.

That's not to say that you couldn't do the same thing with the texas method (which does use planned increases, on a weekly basis, but includes more volume on the whole) if you wanted to.

It's really all in what you like.

20. dotsun

dotsun Shark Stomper

Thanks for the linky's ES.