5.11 Thumbdrive thigh rig for G35

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Wonka1313, Oct 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Wonka1313

Wonka1313

Looking at a 5.11 Thumbdrive thigh rig for my 35. Anyone have any experience running this setup? Thoughts/opinions, pro's/con's? Thanks for any input.

2. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

I have one for my G19/G23. It's a well made, tough, comfortable holster. I use it when openly carrying(while hiking) and I've not had any issues with it.

There is no way I could conceal with this holster unless I was wearing a heavy coat.

3. roadkill46

roadkill46

for all of my woods/hiking/knock around guns, i prefer the bladetech shooters pack that you can get for most guns. never let me down and i can conceal them pretty well 6'5", 230. Of course in AZ you don't have to worry, legally, about printing etc.

i have great CCW holsters, but when you come upon a mountain lion out here you want to get to your handgun pretty quick (plus have a lion tag in your wallet!)

4. martin-curtis

martin-curtis

Check out Vega Holsters. They are out of Italy and make a large selection of holsters that have similar thumb drives systems to 5.11. They have a great selection and can be somewhat pricey depending on the model. But they are "Really" nice.
    You can find them on ebay.it (ebay Italy) decent pricing, however, the shipping is a bit high.

http://www.vegaholster.com/

5. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

Don't own one, but played with them quite a bit.
    I like them. They seem well made and durable.
    Make sure to practice with it though, as in the beginning you may find that you mess up a little and have to redo the draw stroke.

6. Bruce M

Bruce M

Extremely limited experience with a thigh holster leads me to believe that walking with one can be a bit uncomfortable, getting into the car a bit of a nuisance and that retention with them can be a slight issue when one is by oneself.

7. Gunboat1

Gunboat1 A.F.&A.M.

I have a Safariland thigh holster that is quite similar, which I carried quite a bit in Iraq. It is a great holster for the purpose. IMHO, the only time a thigh rig is best is when you are carrying a rifle and vest with lots of other equipment on your torso, which would interfere with a belt-worn pistol. Otherwise, go for a belt rig. The thigh rig makes mounting and dismounting a vehicle more difficult, bangs on and catches on desks, chairs, door frames, stair rails, etc, and is a very different draw stroke than you have probably conditioned yourself to. In almost every way, a good belt holster is better.