close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

4x 8x 16x DISC SPEED

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by newshooter.45, Mar 28, 2006.

1. newshooter.45

newshooter.45

4x 8x 16x ...

What does it mean necessarily? I make backups of all my DVD's and they tend to have skips or errors (actually I suspect it's the DVD player as well, it's old and hates backup copies of DVD's, rarely plays them).

I am wondering if it is because I record them at such a fast speed. I burn the DVD at 16x and the actual blank dvd disc says 4x on it. Does that mean I should burn at 4x ?

What does the 4x on the disc imply? The read speed? How does that relate to my dvd player?

2. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

The 1/2/4/8/12/16x on a blank DVD +/-R is the speed it was designed to be written at. In general, you can write faster than the disc is rated for, but it can cause errors. Very dependant on the the drive and the media. If you're having trouble, force the write to the speed the disc is labeled for (or slower) and see if that fixes things.

3. pyblood

pyblood

Some media will allow you to write at a faster speed than it’s rated for, but for the most part, you can only write @ 8x on 8x media. Most burning software and DVD burners will detect the maximum write speed of the media and then adjust the write speed accordingly.

Your problem could be your DVD player. It’s kind of backwards. Some older more expensive DVD players don’t like DVD+R & DVD-R media, but most newer DVD players will play almost anything.

Why not try different brand media like Verbatim, Imation, etc and see which one works best for your DVD player and stick to that brand.

4. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

I used to get this problem back in the day when I backed up my most used Playstation games. I was using Memorex I think it was and a friend suggested Verbatim. NEVER made a coaster with Verbatims since whether it has been CD's or DVD's. I also burn at 1x unless I am in a hurry for some road tunes :) Good luck though and try Verbatims ;)

About the DVD player possibly...they are all different. My Pioneer plays everything, scratched, copies, etc. and my old $35 budget bedroom would hang if it was even smudged. Now...if it is playing some backups and not others and they are same media...I don't think it is you player though.