4th of July = Barbecue

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by NRA_guy, Jul 3, 2005.

1. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Is this just a Southern tradition, or does everybody do barbecue on the 4th of July?

I slow cooked a pork butt last night on my Weber One-Touch (charcoal) grill, which I have had for years and dearly love. Weber One-Touch grills are round, for any not familiar.

First time I tried the "put a pan of water under the meat and move the charcoal out to the edge" thing.

It was hard to do. After lighting it, I had trouble clearing a space on the grate to place the pan (getting the hot charcoal out from under the pan).

Also, the charcoal was just a 4 or 5 inch band around the edge so it didn't really burn right. We are talking about slow heat for several hours here. It tended to burn in only one section of the band of charcoal---didn't spread all around.

(By the way, not all round kettle charcoal grills are equal. I gave my stepdaughter one from Walmart that looked like a Weber but it has a hinged top. It's awful. Charcoal does not burn right. It's not air tight and burns red hot in spite of closing the dampers. But it only burns in the center---never out to the edges.)

2. General Sherman

General Sherman

I am a Weber charcoal fan.

This will work. Clean out the grill and get rid of all ashes.
    Clean the grill surface. Scrape with brush and spray on Pam or equal.

Use charcoal. I use self starting charcoal.
    Do not store any charcoal outdoors or in high humidity as it absorbs moisture and will not burn well.

Soak a cup of hickory chips for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile start the fire. After the coals are burning white, add the drained wood chips.

Put on the meat. Best to use a thermometer in the meat.
    I use a light dry rub or have marinated the meat beforehand.

Cover and open the holes and let it smoke. It will not flame up if covered but will cook and smoke.

Check on it and turn it as little as possible.

Forget the water pan and coals on the side thing.

You may will to add oiled veggies to the grill near the end to complete your meal. Squash, onions, peppers and broccoli work well on the grill.

3. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

I think most everybody across the states does some degree of grill/smoker cookin' on the 4th _guy. However...we just do a better job of it here in the south! Would'nt you agree? Oh, you gotta' have boiled peanuts on the 4th too you know. ;f

Edit: I do charcoal and gas, having 4 cookers outside. For the 4th tomorrow I'm cooking pork ribs, and a locally made fresh sausage.

4. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Sounds like what I do, except:

I never clean my grill rack. It sort of develops a non-stick coating like cast iron cookware.

Yeah, I know. somebody will die from food poison someday, but not so far in my 40 years of cooking. And my brother cooks on his grill maybe 2 or 3 times every week and has never cleaned his grill or had anybody get sick.

For me, PAM and Crisco just burn, and everything sticks like crazy to a clean grill.

jawjaboy - boiled peanuts??? Yep, I love them and cook them, but I never knew they were a 4th of July tradition. We have to buy our green peanuts in stores when we can here. Nobody grows them. Love those giant ones for boiling! And lots of salt. "Mmmmmmm, doggies", as Jed Clampet would say.

5. lwt210

lwt210

Oh No! Someone said boiled peanuts. And my doctor told me to stay away from salty foods due to BP being sky high!

Thanks alot! Now that is all I can think about.

As far as cookers, I love the offset firebox design for smoking butts. I got a cheap one by Charbroil that does wonders on butts, chickens and turkeys.

Not doing anything special this afternoon, just burgers, dogs, and chicken. All over lump charcoal started in a chimney starter.

We scrape our grates and coat them with butter or run some bacon fat over them for non stick and for great grill marks.

Oh yeah, when you get an offset smoker and start really burning the hickory and mesquite on a regular basis, your neighbors will ALL be standing there at the fence like Kilroy asking "hey what is that you are cooking?". Be prepared for that.

Pic of my raggedy cooker.

6. General Sherman

General Sherman

Now that is a nice cooker, lwt210.

I reminds me of the cooker used by my friend, Bill Green of Backyard BBQ. He makes the best hickory smoked pork I have ever tasted as well as outstanding hamburgers, sausage and chicken breasts. He uses the cheap hamburger meat, full of a lot of fat. No sirloin for him. Yummy.

If you live in Northeast Atlanta look for his BBQ stand in the Krogers parking lot at Peachtree Industrial and Pleasant Hill Road on Wednesdays and Fridays mid morning until after lunch.

Look for his BBQ sauces, Greens, in your Kroger store in the meat department.

The above is an unabashed and unauthorized endorsement of his BBQ.

7. lwt210

lwt210

We make some fine pork in that old cooker.

I did my burgers yesterday with plenty of fat in them mixed with some S&P and A1 in the meat. Cooked them over lump charcoal with some Jack Daniels Oak smoking chips in the fire.

Just had one of the leftovers for breakfast. Too yummy. Had a dog too.

8. General Sherman

General Sherman

lwt210,
    I checked the Char-Broil site and ...

Char-Broil no longer makes that model with a built in therometer in the lid. Hold onto it. The current model has no therometer which I can live with, using separate meat therometers.

Webber makes some kind of double smoker which looks odd to me.
    They also make a $300 gas starter charcoal grill. My problem has never been starting the charcoal.

9. lwt210

lwt210

Yeah, mine didn't come with a thermometer either. I bought that at Walmart along with the cooker and popped the knock out plug and screwed it on.

My local Walmart has two cookers in right now and they run about 168.00. This cooker won't last as long as a good one with heavy steel but it is a fine cooker for the amature/weekender.

There is a lawn care service/shop that has some Texas made cookers that I have had my eye on. They start at over 1200.00 though. When mine wears out, I am going to upgrade to a good one. We cook year round on the weekends so I can talk the wife into investing that kind of coin.

I'll still look for a bargain on one before I pay retail though.

Check your local Walmart if you want one. If they don't have them, let me know and I will track down the SKU numbers so that they can order you one. I am in there all the time for groceries or ammo.;f

10. kool aid

kool aid MR.10mm

I would agree southern BBQ is better ,But NOBODY beats NY pizza!!!:cool: ;f ;D

11. W Turner

W Turner

lwt210- When you start looking for a new cooker, take a look at Academy Sports in Birmingham. They sell one that is made by Oklahoma Joe's that looks fantastic. IIRC, the price was around $600. If you really want a nice smoker there is a guy in Priceville that custom builds competition style smokers. He built my dad's and it is a tank!

I use a Brinkmann Pitmaster and the Oklahoma Joe's will be my replacement when the bottom burns out. The steel is a much better grade and the design is a little more airtight for better temp control.

Bull

12. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Pizza on the 4th of July???? That's down right un-American.

Never been to NY to sample the cuisine and other advantages of big city civilization.

PS: A local guy I know made his cooker out of a used metal 55-gallon drum. He took a hatchet and cut it into 2 halves (lengthwise) and put hinges on the back side. Used expanded metal for a grate. I never saw it, but it must have been a doozie.

13. kool aid

kool aid MR.10mm

BBQ on the 4th and pizza every other day! ;f

I dont do the NYC thing im in the hudson valley you cant see anything but trees from my house. And thats the way i like it.:cool:

14. lwt210

lwt210

Hey, thanks! I wonder when they are going to build an AS up here in H'ville?

I hate driving through B'ham much less going there to shop.

15. W Turner

W Turner

Last time I was there, I asked them about building one somewhere in N. AL and the only thing I heard was the manager say that he thought "they" were considering building one in Huntsville. didn't give a timeline or anything, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Bull

16. towershot

towershot

I know we're talking about BBQ as in the "grilling out" type deal, but does anyone here like bbq pulled pork. that is truely something the south does best, been in VA for school the last six years and my best friend is from Columbia, SC that is some fine bbq down there. anyone else been through there or like bbq pork?

TS

17. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

In the South (that would be from Mississippi up to Virginia---excluding Florida) barbeque means pork. I hear that up around the Carolinas and Virginia they do sliced and chopped. But around the Deep South it is only pulled.

Also, the sauce is different in different areas. Carolina and Virginia do more vinegar.

Memphis has good barbecue. Their sauce has more sugar or molasses.

I have had Texas and Nebraska barbeque but they do lots of beef. I prefer pork.

Best I ever had was a place in Atlanta in the wrong part of town called "Fat Mac's" or "Fat Matt's". It was years ago. Man it was fine.

PS: I ate pulled pork yesterday and the day before. It was a pork Boston butt I cooked 11 hours on my Weber charcoal grill. It is mighty good.

18. lwt210

lwt210

Oh yeah, we like our pulled pork. Nothing better than firing up the smoker around four in the morning and getting it to about 225 degrees and throwing some big butts on there. And did I mention rubbing the butts? Nothing like a good butt rub.

Course we like to do smoked turkey over mesquite that has been injected with a cajun liquid, hams, ribs, chickens......and the sauces...did I mention the sauces?

Such as white sauce for chicken, tomato based sauces, vinegar based sauces, mustard sauces.......no wonder I have to buy new pants each year.

The only negative to cooking this type of stuff at home is it will ruin you for going out to eat. I have a hard time finding places that can live up to what I can do at home for half the money.

19. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

Hold on there _guy.....I have eaten some mite-T-fine pulled BBQ pork in the great state of Florida!! ^c

20. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Never been there, but I will take your word for it.

Probably northern Florida.

In southern Florida I would expect more jerk and caribbean food.

We used to say that Florida had been taken over by d-yankees, but of late it seems like the hispanics are pushing the yankees out.