close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

4th Gen G17... how much has the trigger reach been shortened?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by c223, Mar 20, 2010.

Tags:
  1. c223

c223

For those of you with medium to small hands like myself who have tried the 4th Gen G17.... how much more of the trigger are you now able to reach compared to the 3rd Gen?

On the 3rd Gen G17, I can only pull the trigger with the latter 3rd of the pad on my finger. I feel that this may have been why I was always low left on the target when shooting my G17 (causing me to push the gun low left... unless it really IS just the double action trigger that is causing this). Can anyone take a guess as to how much more reach I would have on the 4th Gen with no backstrap?

Has anyone suffering from the low-left Glock syndrome found this has been eliminated with the new slimmer 4th Gen grip?

Thanks!

2. engineer88

engineer88

This may not help you if you have not held a G26 ever, but it is basically a 1/4 to 1/2 inch improvement over a G26 which is at least that much over a G19. Hope that helps. It is also more deeply recessed where the webbing of your hand rests so this helps as well. You really need to put one in your hand and see how good it is. They are phenomenal. I am like you and have medium to smallish hands as well and I will be buying one of these in the next few months. :)

3. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

4. matteblack

matteblack

I find the improved trigger reach of the Gen 4 to help with accuracy to a degree since I have smaller hands. Low left is when RH shooters simply jerk the trigger right at the break although when the trigger reach is too long for your fingers that can contribute to situation as well. Practice, practice. Some of it can be anticipation of recoil. A 22 kit can help overcome this.
    MB

5. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Same as any other SF, 2.5mm.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  6. Seawolf

Seawolf

Quick story,

I went in to the local shop on Friday with the intention of getting a M&P9 for competition. I had pretty much made up my mind that the M&P was the one I wanted. As I was looking at a couple of M&P9s I saw they had a new G17 Gen4 so I asked if I could look at it next to the M&P9.
    Now I actually already own a G30SF and a M&P40c so I was familiar with both, but as soon as I picked up the new G17 I couldn't believe how much lighter it felt compared to the M&P9. Although both were empty the G17 was much more "Balanced" I thought.

The second thing that really sold me was the trigger. Glocks always have nice crisp triggers out of the box, but compared to the M&P trigger, Which is notoriously mushy out of the box, the G17 trigger felt great. The stock SF grip before putting any backstrap panels on was perfect for me. I think most folks will like the grip out of the box without the panels.
    The stippling was aggressive without actually hurting your hand and the extended mag release was nice. I could manipulate it and drop the mag without releasing my grip and twisting the gun in my hand. I guess once I actually shoot it I'll know more about the dual recoil setup, but from manipulating the slide it feels like the recoil is a tad stiff compare to the Gen3, which is to be expected.

I like the M&P and I like the Glock equally. I have no brand loyalty to either one so I can't say I was disappointed walking away with a G17 instead of the M&P9. I was pleasantly surprised with the changes on the G17 so I think people overall will be happy with it.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  7. YamaLink

YamaLink

Half of the 9L and 9Pro I've felt in several stores have nice and the other have mushy triggers. Thankfully the Apex Tactical sear and block transform the M&P triggers. Best $62 ever spent.

But on the G34 a quick dremel and polish job makes an already good trigger even better. I won't call it the 25 Cent Trigger job because someone has to buy the dremel or polish. :whistling:

8. Apprentice

Apprentice

I've got a new Pro 9 and a new Gen 4 G17 and find both extremely impressive. I assumed I would prefer the no extra grip option on the new 17 but I seem to be shooting the new 17 better with the large grip attachment. My hands are not huge. Size 8 flight gloves = medium I thought. I'm wondering if the angles/leverage of the large grip works with my hands in some manner better than smaller. Seems counterintuitive to me. ???

9. og556

og556

The Large backstrap feels best to me as well but the lack of beavertail would lead to a bloody hand real quick. I leave the backstraps off so I can maintain a high grip without getting the web of my thumb cut up near the joint.