close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

4l60 and4l60E transmission help

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by notjustanothermini, Jan 22, 2012.

1. notjustanothermini

notjustanothermini 'OP'

i have a 1996 buick roadmaster wagon, it has a 4l60e trannsmision in it. It lost its reverse gear.

i also have a 1993 buick roadmaster wagon in rough shape body wise, but great motor and tranny. i believe it is a 4l60 in the 1993.

i know the 1996 has the electronic controlled tranny and the 1993 probably doesnt, so what would i need to do to make the 1993 4l60 tranny work as a replacement for the 1996 4l60e tranny.??

2. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

You need to pull the front pump out and gut both. Take the sun shell and any other needed parts from the 1993 and put in the 1996. I have taken who knows how many of those apart in my career, if they were both out of a car and on the bench, I could make one working tranny in about an hour, hour and a half.

3. notjustanothermini

notjustanothermini 'OP'

front pump. ??

so i cant take the solenoid off the 4l60e and put it on the 4l60 and turn it into a home brew 4l60e ( i need to replace the E with a non E 4l60)

4. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

I doubt your problem is solenoid related. No swapping of control parts will work. There is just the one pump, in the front.

5. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

FWIW, my '93 Camaro had a 4L60E, so maybe yours does, too.

Otherwise, the shift control part isn't as simple as just swapping the solenoid...but you could probably make the non E tranny work with just a vacuum source

6. notjustanothermini

notjustanothermini 'OP'

yeah i was hoping that the 1993 also had a E in it, if so, just swap them out,

i got mixed info on wheather or not the 1993 roadmaster wagon has one or the other, some say yeah its a regular 4l60, then some others say it is a 4l60e.

the working tranny is in a car at my aunts house, i gave her it, it ran fine they just never bothered to put a new battery or brakes on it when i needed it now it sits.

the other wagon, the 1996 with no reverse is my dads daily driver and much much cleaner body wise than the 1993.

so with vacum and a TV cable i hear you can make non E work in cars set up for E tranny's?

i guess i gotta get over there and look at it, im going up there anyway to buy my little cousins bushmster m4 patrolman carbine. with quad rails and a bunch of extras.

7. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

Is the bellhousing the same between both years?

8. notjustanothermini

notjustanothermini 'OP'

yes

the 4l60e is electronic shift, the non E is tv cable actuated shift

9. Kawabuggy

Kawabuggy

Okay.. Let's see if I can help you out. Your 1993 could have either a 4L60E, or a TH-700R4 (sometimes called 4L60 minus the "E"). For simplicity, I'm going to call a 700 a 700 and leave out the 4L60 part so as not to confuse.

The 1993 trans if it is a 4L60E WILL NOT work in your 1996. But why you ask? Because the 93 & 94 E's did NOT have a PWM solenoid for TCC operation. Your 1996 DOES have the PWM solenoid, and the computer will be looking for that solenoid when you plug it into that older trans. Further, the 3-2 solenoid used in your 96 is DIFFERENT than the one used in the 93. If you attempt to put that 93 4L60E (if that is what it is) into your 96 vehicle you will quickly find that when you put it in "OD" or "D" that the vehicle will actually be taking off in 3rd gear, and will NEVER upshift or downshift. The reason is that the computer will be looking for the missing solenoid, and will also be getting an incorrect reading for the resistance on the 3-2 solenoid and will put the trans in "Fail-safe" mode (3rd gear only).

As Ilgunguy states-pull both transmissions and put the guts from the 93 into the 96 case and you should be good to go-IF the 93 internals are any good. You MUST use the pump, the valve body, the valve body separator plate, from the 96... Reason is the 96 pump is PWM, and the 93 is NOT.

If you were close to Houston, I could help you out. I build & sell these transmissions daily.

10. Kawabuggy

Kawabuggy

And to your question about putting a 700 in place of the 4L60E... If you live in a state, or county, that requires emissions inspections and you swap that "E" trans out for the 700 YOU WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER PASS ANOTHER STATE/COUNTY EMISSIONS INSPECTION.

Why? Because your computer will be looking for the solenoids in the "E" trans and when it does not find them, it will store multiple codes and the check engine light will always be on. In Harris county (Houston, TX) they will not pass vehicles with check engine light on. Your city/state/county may be different, I'm just trying to warn you about what is to come.

700's DO NOT REQUIRE A VACUUM SOURCE TO OPERATE. 700'S DO require a TV cable, TV cable bracket, and geometry correction device in order for them to function properly. The TV cable is NOT JUST FOR PASSING GEAR as it controls all upshifts, downshifts, shift feel & timing, and most importantly internal line pressure. If you swap in a 700 and don't get the correct brackets, or don't get the cable adjusted correctly you will burn the transmission up very quickly. You would be better served just fixing what you have and leaving it in the car.

11. notjustanothermini

notjustanothermini 'OP'

i talked to a local good honest tranny expert.

last year i had my chevy lumina blow the "rearend" out of the tranny. i also tried to drive the bastard a few blocks with the blown out rearend, CV shafts flopping around and fluid pouring out.

he fixed it for 350 bux.

he tells me that this job with the fixing of the bad 4l60e will cost between 1600 and 1800.

i got the car for free, with roached wheel bearings, way overtightened. and they blew apart on the highway, on the previouse owner.

he didnt want to pay for wheel bearings again (just put the blew up ones on, the garage he took it to was a bunch of dum dum mechanics, dont know thier ass from a hole in the ground)

so i took the car off his hands, offered first to do them, for 300. he said keep it, bought a new stupid acura of some type.

well the spindles on the bad side needed replaced as well as the calipers and wheel bearings. did it foro about 300 in parts. glad i ddidnt do it for him, it would have been free labor.

anyway, fixed it bout a year ago, and all was well. until this. oh yeah the other roadmaster, was sold to me for 200 buxs by the same guy who gave me this one.

they used the cars for a catering buisness, that has been defunct for a few years.

all the plates on these roadmasters used to be "bbq-1, and bbq-2"

the other caprice he has is plated "bbq-3"

lol

cant dump 1700 in this thing, i want a adcor bear rifle.

12. Big A

Big A Herr Trigger

Is the 93 a TBI or LT1? If it's an LT1 (which I doubt) then it should be a 4L60E