49ers release Aldon Smith after DUI arrest

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Deanster, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Just when you thought the SF 49ers offseason couldn't get worse... they're releasing Smith after his 5th arrest since 2012, this one for DUI, hit/run, and vandalism.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/8/7/91...est-49ers?_ga=1.46672672.622094230.1438563408

This guy, like Pacman Jones truly is a thug and a ****heel. Damn shame his athletic gifts and his ability to manage his life are so far apart, but it sure looks like he should expect to spend sometime behind iron bars, instead of on the gridiron. This guy was given EVERY opportunity to get his act together, and just can't even seem to come close. Good riddance.

The 49ers meltdown continues... too bad, I loved having them as a strong rival for my beloved Seahawks.

2. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

As a Redskins fan I feel your pain regarding off-season moves and rivalries. I'll never understand how some athletes CONSTANTLY drop the ball regarding legality and conduct.

3. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Good - long overdue. The 9ers will be just fine without that POS.

FLIPPER 348 likes this.
  4. Deanster

I'm of course mostly a Seahawks fan, but since I'm a Seattle native, the 49ers were a team I admired through their glory years. Seahawks were AFC then, and 49ers NFC, so they were a 'safe' second team to enjoy at a time when the Seahawks were just-OK, or sometimes really bad.

More-recently, I've been enjoying the intense rivalry. The 2013 NFCCG against the 49ers was one of the most-exciting football games I've ever watched (with the 2014 NFCCG vs. Green Bay and the 2014 Super Bowl vs the Patriots also on the list).

We lived in the DC area for years, so I also follow the Redskins - such a shame with the whole RGIII situation. So much potential, but he and the team just can't get on the same page. Hoping Gruden can figure out how to get the team back on track. Terrible that a team with such a great history just can't seem to figure out how to get things working right. Probably Snyder's fault. :)

Fortunately, my wife's from Philly, so we're also able to enjoy the Eagles - hoping for a good showing from them this season. Eagles v. Redskins games are always lively in our house, with divided loyalties. On the plus side, everyone's on the same side when Eagles or Redskins play the Cowboys. ;)

Valmet likes this.
  5. Bruce M

Bruce M

Seems like a quite stupid way to loose a job that pays well above the minimum wage, has some benefits including some retirement and can open up a fair number of doors upon separation from the playing squad including a sporadic administrative type job somewhere within the league. Or maybe that is just me.

TBO likes this.
  6. Deanster

Agreed. He was on track to make something like $9.7m this year... and got arrested on the FIRST night off from training camp. Kid's got some serious issues.

How hard is it to keep your action locked down with that kind of money on the line?

7. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Oh well. He couldn't catch Wilson anyways, and Jimmy Graham would have ran right through him.

FLIPPER 348 likes this.
  8. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Well...

Next man up. Lynch, you better get in shape real fast buddy. Good thing we kept Brooks too.

FML.

Actually, joking aside, this should make Wilson feel very comfortable indeed. Smith was one of the very few people in this league who gave Wilson a major headache.

Dammit, Aldon.

9. MO Fugga

This is true.

Still, why don't you go ahead and send me my ammo already? :whistling:

10. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

How's Chancellor's hold out going? :eyebrow:

11. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

he'll buy his way out of jail. only in this country can an athlete convicted of multiple sexual assaults do time only on paper.

12. 2bgop

2bgop

Who are you talking about?

13. Deanster

Aldon Smith off the edge is/was one of the scariest players in the NFL. Big, fast, in the right place and doing the right thing. He gave Wilson (and every other QB) absolute fits. Sorry to see him leave the league for his football talents, but he needed to go.

Bam Bam Kam - not sure what he's thinking. He just finished the first year of a four year contract, and he's holding out?

I think he's lost his mind, personally. He's 'only' making $4.5m this year, before agent fees, taxes, etc. $30K/day fines for missing camp will make a big dent in his take-home pay.

Needs to lock it down and get back to camp, IMHO.

14. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Totally agree Dean. This is a young man who is a serious alcoholic, and he's going to kill himself or someone else sooner or later.

The report I've read said that he was at a place, backed into a car, left, came back to the scene with Police there, pulled his car into a spot, opened his door into another car (which picked up the vandalism charge), and was FS tested for alcohol. Apparently, he failed that test. In an out-of-jail interview, he swears he wasn't drunk or drinking, but....with that history, who's going to believe him? I don't.

If the Hawks don't want Kam, Lord knows we've got the money to sign him. Release Bethea and take Cam....yes sir!

15. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

I beg your pardon, its 9 rape convictions but less than 9 years in jail total. basically 1 year for each rape....sounds like rape is a misdemeanor in some courts.

16. 2bgop

2bgop

I honestly don't know who you are talking about? 9 rape convictions?

17. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Probably because no matter how much money a low life pos scumbag gets, he is still a low life pos scumbag.

Bruce M and cowboywannabe like this.
  18. MO Fugga

That's a buncha crap, and he needs his ass kicked over it. Hopefully he will come to his senses. Every team has issues...

My biggest regret is seeing Dan Quinn go to Atlanta. They will do well under him.

19. CAcop

CAcop

Get him out now before he falls apart midseason or playoffs.

20. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Agreed.