Glock 30sf 460 ROWLAND GLOCK 30 CONVERSION

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BOB CLAUSSEN, Feb 27, 2017.

1. BOB CLAUSSEN

BOB CLAUSSEN BOB C.

ANY EXPERT GUNSMITH TYPES THAT HAVE DONE A 460 ROWLAND CONVERSION ON A GLOCK 30 OR GLOCK 21.CAN YOU ADVISE ON THE HEADSPACE ISSUE CONCERNING SHOOTING 45ACP OUT OF A 460 ROWLAND BARREL.I UNDERSTAND THERE IS A "one sixteenth inch" DIFFERENCE.EVERYTHING I CAN FIND ON THIS SUBJECT SAYS THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM AND WILL SHOOT JUST FINE, EXCEPT FOR ONE. KNOW IT ALL TYPE IN A GUN SHOP. HE SAYS BECAUSE OF THE HEADSPACE THE 45ACP ROUND WON'T SEAT PROPERLY IN THE CHAMBER AND THE " ONE sixteenth inch" EXTRA SPACE WILL CAUSE THE BULLET TO WOBBLE DOWN THE BARREL. AND GAS TO LEAK AND THEREBY CREATE AN UNSAFE CONDITION AND BREAK THE GUN OR ATLEAST CAUSE PREMATURE WEAR AND TEAR AND CAUSE THE GUN TO FAIL DUE TO SOMETHING BREAKING.EVERYONE ELSE SEEMS TO THINK IT'S A NONISSUE.I ALSO UNDERSTAND THAT JOHNNY ROWLAND HAS DEMONSTRATED QUITE A FEW TIMES THAT SHOOTING 45ACP OUT OF A 460 ROWLAND BARREL IS NO PROBLEM. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE SOME EXPERT OPINION ON THIS AND SOME EXPLANATION OF THE SCIENCE INVOLVED.THANX.BOB C.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  2. Terlingueno

Terlingueno

you caps lock is stuck...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    arkdweller22 and nikolaz like this.

3. G19 DB

G19 DB

I've shot 45 GAP out of 45 ACP (1911 & G30) - no issues. I've also shot 40 S&W (very recently) out of 10mm (G30 conversion to 10mm). Don't know anything about rowland, but if it is same case only longer, I suspect those that told you it would work are correct.

4. es 350

es 350

Glock has a pretty strong extractor and many shoot shorter rds from longer chambers. Such as 40 in 10mm ,45 gap in 45 ACP or 45 ACP in 460 Rowland.

All of these rimless case designs headspace with the mouth of case against front of chamber. Shooting shorter rounds will increase stress on the extractor as it must hold case in position as the firing pin tries to push it forward when it contacts primer upon firing. If shooting factory loads worst case is maybe replacing a extractor but not likely as the Glock striker assembly does not hit primer with as much force as hammer fired guns.

Not many will suggest shooting shorter cal in longer chamber (rimless design)
    But many do without problems. I personally don't make a practice of it for simple fact I could be carrying any of my Glocks for PD at any time.... If the extractor would be weakened from asking it to headspace a shorter round in practice , would be my luck it would fail in a defensive situation!

arkdweller22 likes this.
  5. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified Roamer

LOL...
    He might be typing next to a running jet engine.

G19 DB likes this.
  6. Bradley T

Bradley T

Forty Five is pretty effective as it is.

Detectorist likes this.