close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.460 Glock 21

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Shorn, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Shorn

Shorn

I'm relatively new here, and I don't mean to offend anyone if they are a "stock only" sort, but I'd seen a good deal of threads here discussing just this. These threads actually lead me to the product itself, a .460 Rowland conversion for the Glock 21 found on 460rowland.com.

I have been giving it a great deal of though, and tried to fish around to see what others thought of the idea, but I thought I'd pop in here, since I'd be more than willing to be you folks are more knowledgeable about glocks and their tolerances. So, the situation at current is this:

I recently purchased a Glock 21, Gen 3. I decided to turn it into a project gun, of sorts. Its currently entirely stock, but I plan to order the aforementioned kit. Has anyone here tried it? Know someone who has tried it? Know if its a bad idea or a good idea?

Thanks in advance, for anyone who took the time to read, and especially answer.

2. Shorn

Shorn

Well, at any rate, thanks for taking the time to read, those who did.

3. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

doesn't the .460 roland push more energy than the .45 super?

If that's the case, wouldn't this lead to quicker wear on the gun? Just curious, seems like a cool idea.

4. blk69stang

blk69stang

I looked into that conversion when I was shopping for a "big boy" glock. After comparing the benefits to the costs, I ended up buying a Glock 20 in 10mm and roll my own ammo instead. There wasn't enough ME in the 460 above and beyond a hot 10mm for me to be able to justify the significant additional expense.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  5. 40 cal.

40 cal.

+1 here.

6. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

It is a harder round than the .45 super. There were rumors of starting it for the G21 but it was abandonded. You can get a conversion for your XD .45 Tactical. I found it to be a waste of time. The rounds always jammed in the XD .45. Bang, tap rack, bang, lock the slide, rip the magazine, and on and on.

There are certain 1911's you can get a conversion for that supposedly work. Wilson combat makes a 1911 that is chambered exclusively for that round, and they also sell the ammo.

7. Shorn

Shorn

Its not a rumor. Conversion kits do exist for it, but you won't find it by the same people who make the original 1911 conversions (Clark). You can find it on www.shop.460rowland.com. However, their website is down. I do believe GWACS defense, or someone involved in it runs the customer service, and the "whois" for the website lists Johnny Rowland himself as the registrant.

However, after my experience with the customer support and unreliability...if they can't even get back to me when they say they will, during normal business hours, to buy an untested, unreviewed product...we'll, I've decided that I'm not doing business with them. I loved the idea, loved the performance of the round, but .45 super is safer, cheaper, and easier for me.

8. Pop Smoke

Pop Smoke

I've noted the 460 conversions myself. I've been told by a builder that the best platform for the 460 conversions is the 1911. I can only imagine the felt recoil of the 460 on a polymer gun. The revolver was quite nice and now I'm hooked!

9. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I think it would a cool project. Looking forward to the pics. And welcome to GT. :wavey:

10. TKM

TKM Shiny Member Lifetime Member

I went with the Kimber and 625 for the 460 hammer.

Clark didn't feel that the Glock and low budget 1911s were safe with that kind of pressure.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Please post pics.

11. Shorn

Shorn

When and if .460 Rowland gets its act together, I'll be sure to. Its still on my list, but my experience yesterday lead me to go elsewhere. I now have a new KKM barrel/SS guide rod/22 lb spring in the mail to run some .45 Super through it. I have a journal of the .460 Rowland stuff, complete with pictures, but its on hiatus until .460 Rowland decides that they want to do business with me in a timely manner.