close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.45ACP, what's the lightest FMJ?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by just a shooter, Feb 28, 2010.

1. just a shooter

just a shooter

thinking of getting into reloading

I have a Lone wolf G21 long slide conversion (6.02" bbl) and I would like to load some fast +p fmj bullets.

I am thinking of 185gr or even 165gr,?

who has fmj bullets that light?

or if there are some factory light fmj that are +p

I'm not interested in 230gr as that is easy to find.

thanks.

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Certainly don't want to be so presumptuous as to tell you what to do but if you're just now 'thinking of getting into reloading' the last thing you should be thinking about is +P loads.

Start with light to mid-range 185, 200 or 230 grainers and thoroughly learn what you're doing before you go where even experienced loaders sometimes fear to tread.

You have way too nice of a gun to end up with a jigsaw puzzle.

Jack

3. fredj338

fredj338

I'm not even sure what the 230gr line is all about. SInce when is availability of components a bad thing? Yes there are several makers of 185grFMJ, but they are usually swc target variety. A good 185grJHP would be a better choice for +P loads I would think.
    Jack is right, you don't start reloading w/ +P ammo. SOme have done it & survived, uh, that would be me, but I was young & dumb & lucky. Get ABCs of Reloading & a couple of reloading manuals & follow the directions. +P ammo can come later after you have some idea what you are getting into. Guys KB pistols every year loading off the books thinking they know better.:upeyes:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  4. just a shooter

just a shooter

I would not load off the books, but I would follow a tried and true recipe for +p 185 gr loads. from a reputable reloading manual.

it's not witch craft or black magic.

follow whats already been learned and printed over the decades.

get quality brass, the correct powder, primer, projectile, follow manual, bingo, I got bullets.

I don't want HP for two legged critters, I'm aimin for four legged varieties. I'm looking for deep penetration.

5. fredj338

fredj338

You'll be hard pressed to find 45acp+P data in any printed data source. There are some on web sites, use at your own risk. For a newb, you are pretty cocky about reloading skills you have not aquired yet. I can only tell you that is an accident waiting to happen. Glocks are not indestructable.:dunno: You are right, it's not rocket science, but there are things yo uneed to know. You just don't buy stuff & start cobbling loads together. Reloading book data is a guide & only useful if used verbatum or if yo uhave the knowledge to extrapolate data from them & translate it to other components. Without a chronograph, you should never attempt to build +P loads. Even then, you do need some knowledge to do it safely. Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  6. Brucev

Brucev

Sir, with respect, test the water before you jump in for a swim. Reloading is not difficult to learn. But there is a learning curve... it can be steep (VOE = Voice of Experience).

The .45 ACP does not operate at high pressure. The G-21 is certainly strong enough to handle any normal .45 ACP load. The +P185gr. JHP .45 ACP loads are a different matter. Mess up and it can mess you up like biting down and busting a tooth on a starburst mint.

About the lightest .45 bullet I've ever found any use for in hunting has been a 200 gr. SWC. Loaded in a 1911 w/ 5 inch barrel, this type bullet has the necessary weight to give very good penetration. From your G-21, it should do as well or better given the slightly longer barrel. If your G-21 has adjustable sights, you will have no problem getting on target. With fixed sights, you will need to hold a little higher than normal as the lighter bullet loaded to +P velocity will exit the barrel faster and thus hit a little lower on the target.

If you've never done any reloading I would suggest you find someone in your area who is a reloader. Ask them to show you the procedure. Possibly they will already have .45 ACP dies. Learn the basic procedure for loading .45 ACP rounds... then begin to develop your own load for your own pistol with an eye to safety, function, accuracy, etc.

What everyone is trying to tell you is not some effort to rain on your parade. If you want to start reloading, excellent! But don't just go at it without first educating yourself. I've been loading for both rifle and pistol for 30 years. So far I haven't had a problem... but I have seen a few people tear up some very nice rifles. Recently at a vintage military rifle match I watched a fellow competitor in the second relay destroy his pristine 1898 Krag infantry rifle. He was a experienced reloader with almost 50 years experience. He had won many matches using his own loads. His rifle ended up as a receiver and some other parts... but his barrel was ruined. He later told me that he thought he had slipped up in charging the cases with powder. I offered to buy the rifle from him thinking it could be repaired, but he said the damage was to severe. Sincerely. Brucev.

7. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr

just, seems you're getting lots of advice to go SLOWLY in your introduction to reloading, and seems to me you're taking the advice well.

I'll add 2 more things. One is that there's a difference between the copper-plated bullets and full-metal-jacket bullets. The former are made for target and other light-duty use and were intended to be usable where ANY lead showing on a bullet was prohibited. Secondly, there are .45ACP cases specially designed for +p loads. Perhaps you should buy a batch from Starline... http://www.starlinebrass.com/index.php?cPath=1&osCsid=23e3f3d56537744a14a99d2d4ef322ba ...and never obtain/pick up brass anywhere. That way the ONLY brass you have is safe for +P loads.

Go slowly, work up gradually, and buy and use a chronograf.

BTW, for pistol reloading, I strongly recommend a turret press, and Lee's is excellent and inexpensive. http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/turretpress.html

8. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

9. dudel

dudel

Do everyone a favor and let them know when and where you plan to shoot. Anyone with half a brain doesn't want to be anywhere near a newb trying out +P loads.

You've got much to learn, and don't seem to want to spend the time to learn it. BTW, what made you stop at +P? +P+ to much for you? :supergrin:

Jack and Fred gave you good advise. What you do with it, is of course up to you.

10. dudel

dudel

If you continue on this route, you'll end up with overpenetration, with less than optimal wound channel. Not good for hunting. You might need a light, frangible round; but I'm not sure they are available for 45 ACP (other than maybe Glasser or Magsafe, and I'm not sure I would use them for hunting).

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

+1 - new reloader and +p = very bad day.

12. kshutt

kshutt

Between Jack, Fred & myself, we all have two things in common: We've been loading for a lengthy period of time, and we haven't blown ourselves up!

Reloading is like running your own little factory production process. You wear every hat from the Quality Assurance Dept. to Final Inspection. I strongly suggest you don't approach this subject like a rodeo cowboy on a bucking bull!

Many newb reloaders just plain forget stuff. My buddy just got into it, and started off with a progressive press. Too many things happening at once for a newb, if you ask me. Anyway, out of his first 50 rounds he forgot the powder charge in one of them. This is considered a "squib." He almost fired a subsequent round. :wow: Catch my drift? If you aren't careful, and don't fully understand case capacity vs. powder charge weights, you can also double-charge a case! That particular mistake can have permanent consequences!

Where am I going with this? You better start slow, learn the basics (well), and forget +P loads. This aint horseshoes, and close to right aint right enough! Good luck!

13. fredj338

fredj338

Not to mention many states do NOT allow non expanding bullets for hunting, handgun or rifle.
    This was just posted; newb reloader making his own way. He was lucky, very lucky.http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/5370058302

14. dudel

dudel

Holy Smokes! :shocked: He needs to go out and buy a Powerball ticket. Hope others learn from his example. It's almost to wierd to be true. What was he thinking? Oh, wait, he wasn't.

And good point on many states not allowing non expanding bullets for hunting.

15. just a shooter

just a shooter

ok, advise taken.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010