close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

45acp super vel?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by mi-fordson, Feb 7, 2010.

1. mi-fordson

mi-fordson

I have some 45acp brass that is head stamped (45 acp Super Vel ), is this 45 super or 45+P? Thanks for the help.

mi-fordson

2. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Super Vel was a company that loaded lighter than standard weight JHP bullets at higher velocities. The cases you have are standard 45 ACP. The original Super Vel 45 ACP load was a 190 grain JHP at 1060 fps. I think they later developed or at least worked on a 170 grain 45 ACP JHP bullet. The 190 grain JHP predates the later 185 and 200 grain JHP bullets and was considered a lighter weight bullet compared to the standard 230 grain FMJ. Super Vel went out of business in 1976.

3. srd

srd

I also have some of that head stamped brass. I still use it for reloads with out a problem. Treat it like normal 45 acp brass.

4. tjpet

tjpet

You've got some history in those cases.

Lee Jurras was the maverick owner of Super-Vel. He was the first to design HPs that really opened up and wasn't afraid to drive his ammo to the velocities necessary to do so.

He is also the father of the Auto Mag pistol.

5. mteagle1

mteagle1

That's sacrilegious, right up there with driving your 64 1/2 Mustang back and forth to work evey day.

6. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

As we speak my .45 carry guns are loaded with 185 grain JHP Super Vels and my Walther PP carries 88 grain JHP Super Vels.

Back in the '70's we were required to carry department issue in our revolvers, WW 159 grain LSWCHP... just about everyone carried Super Vels in their off-duty guns or semi's for out of uniform work.

The only Super Vel loading that really didn't perform were the .357 mags that were issued to the Florida Highway Patrol. At the time their issue was either the 110 or 115 grain, (can't remember which), JHP.

I actually was standing three feet behind a Trooper when he engaged an attacking BD. One shot hit him in the forehead just above the right eye... went down quicker than 'immediately. Actually regained consciousness within 2-3 minutes. The round fragmented, (lots of tissue damage) and other than causing a thumb sized dent never penetrated the skull.

Those rounds usually wouldn't penetrate vehicle bodies either... just way too much velocity for the bullet weight.

I'll have to check but I do believe my boxes of .45's still have $7.95 price tags on them. Pretty red and yellow boxes.

Jack

7. D. Manley

D. Manley

Yep. IMO, Lee Jurras is the father of high performance pistol ammunition. I still have a few of the original rounds and a little bit of brass. His .357 Mag & .44 Mag would not only flatten the primers but in my guns, would produce some "cratering" around the strike too...very hot stuff! Only after the success of Super Vel did other manufacturers come on board to develop the high performance pistol ammunition we have available today. Prior to Lee's innovations, defensive rounds were at best, mediocre...in both bullet design and performance levels.

8. mi-fordson

mi-fordson

Thanks for the info i thought you guys could help.

mi-fordson