Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I finally got around to load about 55 cases of pesky SP 45ACP brass. CCI SP primers, 230 LRN projectile over top of 6.0 grains of Unique. This is my goto load for my LP brass.

I was quite surprised to find the SP loads felt quite a bit softer than the LP loads. I would think that with the amount of powder being the same both loads would pack an equal punch. I could actually hit a target with them. I did not chrono these loads.

Anyone find similar results :dunno:?

Art

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
I'm getting similar results. They chono a bit quicker with SP (no explanation). They feel softer (but that may be me - I haven't done a blind test). I seem to get back on target quicker (I think it's due to the softer recoil).

I've had very good results with Bullseye using plated (200gr Rainier) or fmj (230 gr) and with Unique using 230gr Lee TC with tumble lubed Alox. From what I've seen, I'm giving up nothing going to SP (and may actually be gaining a bit of performance - but saving a lot of effort in primer swaps and primer stockng).

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
Guys does the SP/LP brass have the same sized flash hole?
Depends. I'll have to check, but I remember some had larger flashholes than normal, others were same as LP. They were consistent among headstamps. I measured them with a set of twist drills.

I want to say the Win NT SP 45 ACP had larger flashholes; but I'd have to check my notes. Most of my SP 45 ACP brass is either Speer or Federal.

·
Registered
35,937 Posts
I'm getting similar results. They chono a bit quicker with SP (no explanation). They feel softer (but that may be me - I haven't done a blind test). I seem to get back on target quicker (I think it's due to the softer recoil).

I've had very good results with Bullseye using plated (200gr Rainier) or fmj (230 gr) and with Unique using 230gr Lee TC with tumble lubed Alox. From what I've seen, I'm giving up nothing going to SP (and may actually be gaining a bit of performance - but saving a lot of effort in primer swaps and primer stockng).
Iwould think the opp. The SP will produce a shorter duration flame & slower ignition. That might explain the felt recoil, but I would think that would also cause lower vel, also reducing recoil. I'll have to find a few sp pieces of brass & experiment.

·
Registered
35,937 Posts
Justin's has a ton of it. In his recent range clean outs he has acquired more than he'd like to ever see again. He keeps bringing it over to my house:supergrin:
Well then you can test it. Load 5 each w/ identical loads in SP & LP brass & chron them. Please post the results.:supergrin:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Justin's has a ton of it. In his recent range clean outs he has acquired more than he'd like to ever see again. He keeps bringing it over to my house:supergrin:
I'm thinking about starting to shoot IDPA. If you want to part with any of it PM me and I would gladly compensate you for your troubles.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Four different loads gave me 25-40 fps lower velocity with SP primers in NT brass than LP in ACP cases.

·
Registered
35,937 Posts
Four different loads gave me 25-40 fps lower velocity with SP primers in NT brass than LP in ACP cases.
Thanks Jim, that is what I would exepct; smaller primer flash = less pressures = less vel with identical loads.:wavey:Chris can still do th test. I like giving teachers an asignment, payback.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,186 Posts
What about cases with the smaller flash hole? If I remember right NT brass has a larger flash hole.

·
2,950 Posts
That agrees with the information I read on reloading NT brass a year or two ago. The consensus recommendation was to use the same "recipe" in the SPP brass as normally used for LPP, and to expect 30fps less velocity.

I also recall reading when it was first introduced, the manufacturers all warned against reloading the brass. :rofl:

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
Guys does the SP/LP brass have the same sized flash hole?

Adam,

Got them measured with twist drills.

These are all 45 ACP SP (largest flashhole to smallest):

Federal NT #39 .099"
WinNT #45 .082
Speer #47 .078

I've got mostly Federal and Speer, so I'll try to work up a test this weekend.

·
Got Pb?
1,451 Posts
Adam,

Got them measured with twist drills.

These are all 45 ACP SP (largest flashhole to smallest):

Federal NT #39 .099"
WinNT #45 .082
Speer #47 .078

I've got mostly Federal and Speer, so I'll try to work up a test this weekend.
Wow, you know I didnt mind the idea of having small primered brass but I thing assorted flash hole size might be a problem.

Heck it may not matter in a 45acp handgun out to 50 yards

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
Wow, you know I didnt mind the idea of having small primered brass but I thing assorted flash hole size might be a problem.

Heck it may not matter in a 45acp handgun out to 50 yards
I've got 3 WinNT cases, a few hundred Federal NT, and a few thousand Speer. Since I sort by headstamp, it's not a bid deal for me.

Sort of like removing crimp, I suppose I could drill out the cases to the same size. It's a one time thing. I haven't done it yet (if ever)

If the weather holds up, I'll load up some ACP LP, and SP in the three flashhole sizes and see how they chrono.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts