Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good recipe for loading 45acp 200gr RN plated with cfe pistol. These are just going to be range loads so nothing special. I will be using a glock 41 and a colt 1911. I checked the hodgdon site and they do not give much loading info there. So hopefully someone has some good info I can use as a starting point. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
CFE Pistol isn't a real good fit for 45 ACP loads. It is kind of slow and likes higher pressures before it cleans up, pressure you won't be getting with 45 Auto specs.

I would pickup something a little faster burn rate wise and you likely will get better results. Powders like Clays, WST, Bullseye, VV-N320, Red Dot, etc. will tend to work a lot better in that caliber.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CFE Pistol isn't a real good fit for 45 ACP loads. It is kind of slow and likes higher pressures before it cleans up, pressure you won't be getting with 45 Auto specs.

I would pickup something a little faster burn rate wise and you likely will get better results. Powders like Clays, WST, Bullseye, VV-N320, Red Dot, etc. will tend to work a lot better in that caliber.
Yes I know it is not the best but it is what I have and I want to use it up. I have about 3 lbs. and I want to use it until it is gone then I will go back to titegroup.I am just asking if anyone else has used it and what was their recipe. But thanks for your input.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Yes I know it is not the best but it is what I have and I want to use it up. I have about 3 lbs. and I want to use it until it is gone then I will go back to titegroup.I am just asking if anyone else has used it and what was their recipe. But thanks for your input.
If you just want something that goes bang, just use Hodgdon's load data for 200gr Gold Dots, and load them a little longer, like 1.200". I would start in the middle of the range as the start load may not cycle your gun. Max charge is still going to be kind of dirty I suspect, but at like 7gr each, you only have to make 3000 of them to have used it up.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Plated bullets will not take as much pressure before accuracy suffers as most all know.
Myself I would start at 6 gr and work up till accuracy starts to degrade.

I load the 200 gr xtp over Hodgdon's max load of CFE for my XDS 3.3.
It delivers 900+ fps and very accurate.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I loaded 6.0 grns & 6.5 grns and found the 6.5grn. shoots well with no soot (Clean casings). Loaded with a col of 1.2" Tried them in a 1911 and a glock 41 both pistols functioned well. that load makes a good target shooting load. Thanks for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts